Stratus 3 and iPad - "ignore" your own tail number?

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
Good morning fellas. I recently got a Stratus 3 for my ADSB-In, displayed using WingX. My Trig 31 takes care of ADSB-Out. The SA with the ADSB-In is great on the iPad - both traffic and Wx/NOTAMs.

Here's my question: is there a way to ignore my own tail number for the ADSB-In traffic as it's displayed on the iPad? It can be unnerving sometimes looking at traffic on the iPad to see a target right on top of me!....Wait, that is me...

I've looked in the user manual, and it doesn't seem to address this. Thanks for the input.

I use a Stratux unit with my iFly 740b and have had to watch my six a few times. As you are aware these "ghost images" come from rebroadcast of the radar along with the ADS-B.

Performing a few evasive maneuvers is good fun but sometimes other folks in the airplane aren't liking it as much as the pilot. :D The iFly software has a provision to put in your tail number but even at that it still happens. Not sure what else to do about it. Thanks for asking the question ...

Dale

I did get this response from Appareo:

“Thanks for contacting Appareo. You will want to reach out to the the developer of WingX Pro to see if they allow you to disable ownship. I believe this is Hilton Software. The only thing I can think of to truly get rid of it is to disable GPS, but they may have more suggestions as it is their app.”

I’ll see what Hilton has to say.

Foreflight automatically detects you and ignores your "ownership". I don't know if WingX does that.

One other option is that now you have to program your TT31 that you are receiving both 1090ES and 978UAT traffic, so they won't be rebroadcast by the ground stations.

I did get this response from Appareo:

“Thanks for contacting Appareo. You will want to reach out to the the developer of WingX Pro to see if they allow you to disable ownship. I believe this is Hilton Software. The only thing I can think of to truly get rid of it is to disable GPS, but they may have more suggestions as it is their app.”

I’ll see what Hilton has to say.

From this post:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/unoffical-wingx-user-guide-available.98202/

There is a document that describes how to access the setting (pg 79)
http://bit.ly/2cvFoQB

Posed the same question to Hilton / WingX, and here is their response:

"Hello, thank you for reaching out.

This feature is not currently available in WingX but I will be certain to forward your comments to the WingX Team.

Thank you.

Support Team
Hilton Software"

I use a Stratux unit with my iFly 740b and have had to watch my six a few times. As you are aware these "ghost images" come from rebroadcast of the radar along with the ADS-B.

Performing a few evasive maneuvers is good fun but sometimes other folks in the airplane aren't liking it as much as the pilot. :D The iFly software has a provision to put in your tail number but even at that it still happens. Not sure what else to do about it. Thanks for asking the question ...

Dale

If one does not have ADS-B Out, then from time to time you will fly into the "hockey puck" of an equipped aircraft and the ground station will broadcast you as a TISB target for the equipped aircraft. This is not a re-broadcast, but a first time broadcast for the benefit of the equipped aircraft. The TISB is based on your mode A/C radar position. For an aircraft that is not equipped with ADS-B Out, if they have a receiver, they will see their own ship as a near by target popping up out of nowhere.

On the other hand, if your aircraft is ADS-B Out equipped, it will not cause a TISB to be generated for your own aircraft. Depending on the mix of ADS-B Out and ADS-B In on your aircraft and the target aircraft and how the ADS-B Out is configured, it is possible that you may see a rebroadcast of your own aircraft, but this should be relatively rare. Normally, if the ADS-B Out and ADS-B In are using the same frequency, you will continuously be receiving your own ship's broadcasts, so even a re-broadcast will not show up as an additional ghost target. Re-broadcasts only occur when the broadcast signal can't be received by a client because it does not have a receiver capable of receiving the original broadcast. So lets say you have a Trig transponder for your ADS-B Out and are using a Stratux that is only capable of receiving on UAT. The Trig needs to be configured to indicate that you only can receive on UAT. Under that circumstance, any broadcasts (other than your own) on 1090 MHz will be re-broadcast on UAT so your Stratux can receive them. Your Stratux will be unable to detect your own Trig broadcasts and there are no re-broadcasts for a client, only other targets on 1090 MHz. Furthermore, lets say that there is another aircraft nearby you and identically equipped, that is the other aircraft does not have the capability of receiving 1090 MHz, so is configured to receive re-broadcasts of 1090 MHz on the UAT frequency. Now the two aircraft mingle close to each other, inside their hockey pucks. Your Trig broadcasts are now re-broadcast on UAT so the other aircraft can see you. At the same time, you Stratux receives the re-broadcast of your own Trig broadcasts, and you show up as a sudden arrival of a target at your location. This will most likely generate a ghost and a wakeup alert. Traffic 6 o'clock, less than a mile, same altitude. So it can happen, but it requires a lot of what ifs to occur. If your aircraft has a dual frequency receiver and the transponder is set to indicate this, then you will be continuously receiving your own broadcasts, and a few extra rebroadcasts will not pop up on you. The same is true if your receiver and ADS-B Out are the same frequency. Apps like ForeFlight will detect your own ships broadcasts and suppress them as targets. This will happen on the ground as you taxi to the runway and you should not see ghosts.

Thanks for the comprehensive response John! Are these configuration changes something I can accomplish at the user level? Looking at both the Trig 31 User Manual and Installation Manual makes no reference to changing the configuration to only receive on UAT. Thanks again for the feedback.

If one does not have ADS-B Out, then from time to time you will fly into the "hockey puck" of an equipped aircraft and the ground station will broadcast you as a TISB target for the equipped aircraft. This is not a re-broadcast, but a first time broadcast for the benefit of the equipped aircraft. The TISB is based on your mode A/C radar position. For an aircraft that is not equipped with ADS-B Out, if they have a receiver, they will see their own ship as a near by target popping up out of nowhere.

Thanks. I do appreciate the correction and the excellent clarification. What you said is sorta (?) what I thought I meant but I did state it entirely incorrectly ... :oops:

Dale

Thanks for the comprehensive response John! Are these configuration changes something I can accomplish at the user level? Looking at both the Trig 31 User Manual and Installation Manual makes no reference to changing the configuration to only receive on UAT. Thanks again for the feedback.

You can download the install manual off of the Trig website. Page 18 explains how to enter configuration mode. Be careful not to change any of the parameters other than the ADS-B receiver options on page 22.

6.1.9.5 ADS-B Receiver Options
In the USA there are two ADS-B channels, 1090ES and UAT, and there is an ADS-B based traffic
information service called TIS-B. The ADS-B ground stations relay this information between the two
channels so that suitably equipped aircraft can receive traffic information. To limit channel congestion
these services are only provided to aircraft equipped to receive them.
The transponder reports what receivers are installed in a periodic status message; enter the receiver
status here.

You should set the ADS-B receiver to match the capabilities of your receiver. So if it supports both, you should set this to indicate that both 1090ES and UAT are available. If only UAT is available, then UAT should be set. If you set both but don't receive both, ground stations will not send an ADS-R (rebroadcast).

Last edited:
I use foreflight with no problems ,sometimes more accurate than my 330es.

Back