Stratus 2S Battery Replacement vs. Stratus 3 Upgrade

Flocker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flocker
The battery on my 2S has degraded to the point that it only holds a charge for about 2 hours now. Sporty's sells a battery replacement kit for $85.00. The other option is to upgrade to the 3 for $499 (with the Stratus 2S Trade-in Program).

For those of you flying behind the 3, is it worth the upgrade?

The battery on my 2S has degraded to the point that it only holds a charge for about 2 hours now. Sporty's sells a battery replacement kit for $85.00. The other option is to upgrade to the 3 for $499 (with the Stratus 2S Trade-in Program).

We fly with a $25.00 USB cable supplying power from the Cigarette Lighter plug to our Stratus 2S. Even have the firmware setting on the Stratus to have the unit power on when we energize the avionics master switch and power off after so much time idle.

Would that work for you?

I actually just traded in my 2S for the 3. Have flown behind the 3 for a few flights now. Whether or not it is worth it is completely relative. For me it was, but I bet most folks think I am crazy for spending the money on upgrading. For me the Smart WiFi (being able to use cellular while still hooked up to the Stratus) alone was worth it.

Be cheaper to get a USB battery pack on Amazon.

Be cheaper to get a USB battery pack on Amazon.
Good idea.... and you get the on going utility of the battery pack if/when the Stratus device gets retired or tossed.

Good idea.... and you get the on going utility of the battery pack if/when the Stratus device gets retired or tossed.
Or you could use it to power the ipad/iphone or other USB device in a pinch.

An option 3 might be to open up the one you have and see what the battery is. A part number search on Amazon/Google on the battery might find something for way less than $85.

Back