Stratus 2

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I've had an iPad for 3 years, but just started flying with it frequently this past year. I've come to conclude that it's just too big for a 172 or the Cutlass that I currently fly.

So I've come to conclude that I could use an iPad mini in a yoke mount, and my bride was going to get me this for Christmas.

I've also been thinking about a Stratus 2 as well, primarily to have traffic information, as well as the Wx. However, I've been a little less enamored with it after learning traffic is limited without having onboard ADS-B. My wife wants to get this for me as well. However, I don't want her to spend more than $1AMU for these two things.

So my question is do you think a Stratus is really worth it? I'm not instrument current or proficient, but plan on getting an IPC in December, and then making more instrument flights. But for the most part I'm a fair Wx flyer, and worry more about traffic than Wx.

Also, since the Stratus 2 has been out for almost 2 years, do you think a Stratus 3 may be in the near future with better functionality, or are we really at the technology limits for traffic and Wx until more of the fleet gets ADS-B in the cockpit?

The stratus 2 has been upgraded,if you want traffic your going to have to be flying with ADSB out. I use a full size iPad with the stratus 2 on a ram mount,works great.

Stratus 2 is a terrific device. Not sure what they'd do to make a 3, but I'm sure something is in the works. But who knows when.

I have a Stratus 2 and love it. I think it's worth it regardless if you fly VFR or IFR. I currently only fly VFR and have found it useful for traffic and weather. It's also nice to be able to look at the METARs for airports you will be landing at but haven't reached yet.

The Stratus 2 offers sooooooo much more than just traffic. That with the ipad mini on the yoke mount is one of my favorite things in the plane!

Maybe second to the autopilot!

...yeah yeah yeah...child magenta line...blah blah blah...my VOR still works and I know how to use it so shush before I huck my Stratus 2 at you!

I got it for the weather and potential for traffic. It works GREAT. Then I saw a pop-up TFR along my route one time. It wasn't right on my flight path, but maybe 10 miles off to one site. It was not in my preflight briefing. I won't say that I won't fly without it, but I sure try to bring it along anytime I'm going somewhere.

Back