Stratus 2 Overseas?

Banjo33

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Banjo33
Anyone know if Stratus works overseas? Looking at their website faqs, they mention no ADS-B/wx, but fail to say anything about GPS...sounds obvious enough to me, but better to ask.

What does the G stand for? :)

I don't see a "G" in Stratus, but point taken. I guess my concern was whether the GPS sats on the other side of the globe are different. GLONAS and Galileo come to mind. But what I just remembered is that our sats are orbiting the Earth, they're not stationary. So it's a moot point!

I don't see a "G" in Stratus, but point taken. I guess my concern was whether the GPS sats on the other side of the globe are different. GLONAS and Galileo come to mind. But what I just remembered is that our sats are orbiting the Earth, they're not stationary. So it's a moot point!

Except for the three geostationary WAAS satellites (and other SBAS variants), the GPS constellation is constantly moving.

Yep, GPS and AHRS will work fine.. You will however NOT receive any ADS-B Data (Weather and Traffic) except for 1090 air to air targets. I took mine on a commercial flight to the Dominican Republic last year and I was receiving weather data until about 150 miles off the East Coast..

Yes and no. There is a difference in GPS prodicol but it would take someone that really understands the science...I.e. WGS-84 which some countries have not upgraded to. I used to - not me because it is against company policy - carry a Dual 150 GPS receiver but it didn't work well due to the thick electrical windows and the main reason was that it as well as Stratus are optimized for where most of the general aviation planes are and thus the information is sent up to the satellites above them. Not financially feasible to send up data for vast areas of the world that have no aircraft that need it.
You can get some positioning information and basically that is what you want.

An update: So I've been carrying my stratus, but have had no need thus far to turn it on. From FL220-FL270, the iPad GPS and FF have worked flawlessly over multiple 800 mile trips (5 flying hours). The biggest feature I'm missing thus far though (besides maybe the AHRS), is the in-flight weather (RADAR and METARS). There's a huge sense of comfort being able to look far ahead at your destination's and divert's weather, knowing that fuel will be near critical once you arrive there, lol.

I've got to do some reading to see if Europe/Middle East has anything similar to a FSS.

Back