Stratus 2 external GPS antenna type

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I am in the process of hiding away my Stratus 2 possibly in the luggage area or on the battery tray so I can keep it in my airplane at all times..

The one hurdle I have so have is how to get a GPS signal to it.. I would rather not just use the external puck from Sportys but would rather utilize an existing GPS antenna that was left on the airplane from the previous owner and is not in use. I have no idea if it is an active or passive type..

My question is what type of GPS antenna does the Stratus use when using the external port via the MCX connection? Is it passive or active? Has anyone had any luck using a WAAS antenna for something like a 430 or older unit connected to a Stratus?

I'm not even sure at this point on the approval needed if any to just plug in the Stratus 2 to an antenna that is already there.. I'm guessing none but I still need to read more to be sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it is an active antenna. I have used recycled Garmin antennas that were removed aircraft for an upgrade to WAAS. They work great. More important that the GPS antenna is an external belly mounted ADS-B antenna. It can be of the cheap Ted antenna type. The ground stations are on the ground and a metal airplane blocks the view of the ground. Even installing the remote internal antenna on a window, although much better than the built in antenna, there will be blind spots. The fact that you may receive 5 or more ground stations with the remote antenna, won't help if you are using the Stratus for traffic and the one ground station you need to receive is blocked by your wings, fuselage, or cabin. It will work for weather because there is a great overlap in the information. There isn't an overlap in the traffic TISB broadcast.

Thanks for the reply.. I already have an extra "stubby" TED antenna that isn't connected to anything either and it is conveniently right next to the battery tray with a BNC connector waiting to be used! I have already ordered the adapters and cable I needed for that.. I will check out the active WAAS antennas on eBay.. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back