Stratus 2 deliveries delayed

EpicDraws

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
Got an email from Sporty's saying the Stratus 2 shipments are delayed a week. I guess there goes using it this weekend :sad:

If you try to order it right now, they aren't shipping for another 3 weeks. Must be a heck of a demand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Or more likely, they have a manufacturing issue with a supplier.

I agree. I don't think the Stratus has the iPhone demand level. I have not seen people camping in line to get one.

José

Last edited:
I agree. I don't think the Stratus has the iPhone demand level. I have not seen people camping in line to get one.

José

Actually, it may be hard for them to get more made above their initial forecast. Assuming they go to someone for making circuit boards and "populating" them, as most small companies would, they may well need to wait for another "slot" to get their boards made. Same thing for molded parts and possibly assembly too. It may be a manufacturing issue, or just supply chain.

Got the same e-mail and was bummed. Oh well. I think the demand must be pretty good. There are a lot of Foreflight users out there and ADS-B coverage is supposed to be finished this year. That's why I didn't buy a Stratus when they were first released -- no ADS-B coverage here. We just got coverage in the last few weeks.

The moral of the story is always don't sell something you don't have . . . .

Or they could just have a god-awful bug they don't want to ship any more of... hahaha...

We can make up paranoid stuff all day about it, but it won't get the OP his, any faster. :)

(I had to stop shipment of a major product once, sitting on a Change Control Board... it wasn't particularly a fun day. Luckily it was pre-ship on the first one... but post-sale... argh... so it triggered a full-court-press to fix the silly problem. Folks agreed, but they knew if we signed that denial we were all going to have a couple of weeks of very late nights... Lucky for us, this thing we stopped was very low volume, high margin, and the folks who needed one would wait a couple of weeks and not go out of business, or anything like that... I suspect the pressure to not deny is very high on high-volume low-margin products... ouch.)

Or they could just have a god-awful bug they don't want to ship any more of... hahaha...

We can make up paranoid stuff all day about it, but it won't get the OP his, any faster. :)

Amen brother! In the world of electronics, the number of reason why an electronic product can and will be delayed is longer the national debt. Demand is likely on the list, but a lot of lower considering what this is. My top 5 favorites:

5) the "new" product was shipped with the "old" products skins
4) the "old" product was shipped with the "new" products skins
3) someone went crazy with the serial number label maker and the next 2000 units have the same serial number, but what box are they in? And more importantly, what warehouse?
2) the quality department approves a critical firmware update fix be applied to all held inventory prior to product release -- only problem, there is no held inventory, it's been shipped!

AND MY #1 FAVORITE

1) the entire shipment is being held in Customs because the Chinese made pallets contain a wood boring insect not native to the U.S. -- a quarantine process that could take months...

I read somewhere that the Stratus 1 now has a firmware update that gives it ADSB capability, motoring the need for Stratus 2

I read somewhere that the Stratus 1 now has a firmware update that gives it ADSB capability, motoring the need for Stratus 2

You may mean AHRS, but I believe that is not true. Of course the Stratus 1 had ADS-B, so perhaps you meant ADS-B traffic, which is true. But the Stratus 2 has other advantages, including AHRS and a fix for the overheating issues (fan + white color).

Foreflight's announcement stated you do need a firmware update for the Stratus-1 to work, but didn't say why. Could just be to standardize the interface between the iPad and the Stratus... or could have been a need to add more data fields... could be a lot of stuff...

Either way, yeah... you need to firmware update the Stratus-1, but they say it works.

Foreflight's announcement stated you do need a firmware update for the Stratus-1 to work, but didn't say why. Could just be to standardize the interface between the iPad and the Stratus... or could have been a need to add more data fields... could be a lot of stuff...

Either way, yeah... you need to firmware update the Stratus-1, but they say it works.

And here Jason shows how to update that! It's easy; done from the Devices menu in ForeFlight.

....and now pushed back again to May 7 ship. :(

Back