Stratus 1S & 2S

If I'm reading this correctly, if you already have the Stratus 2, the only thing the 2S adds is encrypted Wifi, better cooling, and a pressure sensor....

Anyone see other differences?

1S is at a very tempting price- wonder if they will have a deal on this at Oshkosh?

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

They are starting to add the "S" after the model just like Apple... :rofl:

Still makes me want to buy one though !!!

Not sure of some of the features but I had a Stratus 2 on order from Sportys and hoping to get it here before flying to OSH. Sportys called yesterday and said that there was a further delay of two weeks but that I would still get mine by the 15th and would I mind an upgrade to the 2S....well no, I don't mind at all....same price. Hopefully it gets in and I will try to give some reports on it but since I don't have one now they may not be that useful to those that own an unit already.

If I'm reading this correctly, if you already have the Stratus 2, the only thing the 2S adds is encrypted Wifi, better cooling, and a pressure sensor....

That's all I can see. Which means it's probably not worth it for me to upgrade...

They are starting to add the "S" after the model just like Apple... :rofl:

Still makes me want to buy one though !!!

Just like Apple as well, promise it for sale and its on back order.

If that's the case then there's no reason for me to upgrade. I've had my Stratus 2 for less than a year and don't have any issues with it. I figure by the time I'm ready to upgrade there will be another one out by then.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I have a six-month old Stratus 2 and I couldn't see any difference worth upgrading to. That said, I do wish the USB port wasn't inexplicably tied to their cable. If I plug in any other perfectly normal micro USB, the light turns red. Only seems to charge with the cable that came with it. That's unfortunate.

I suppose the pressure sensor might be nice so it could, in theory, give you GPS altitude and pressure altitude?

So how much traffic is lost by using a single band unit compared to the dual band? Who/what is transmitting on each band? A little confused on this.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I have a six-month old Stratus 2 and I couldn't see any difference worth upgrading to. That said, I do wish the USB port wasn't inexplicably tied to their cable. If I plug in any other perfectly normal micro USB, the light turns red. Only seems to charge with the cable that came with it. That's unfortunate.

I suppose the pressure sensor might be nice so it could, in theory, give you GPS altitude and pressure altitude?

I've never had any problems using any other USB cable with mine. I never use the original cable. The only problem I've had is that it doesn't much care for chargers under 2 amps.

I've had my Stratus 2 for a few years now, and I had it fall out of an airplane a couple hundred feet and land on the runway. Scratched it up a bit, but still works great.

I saw that the Stratus 2 was on back order, so I thought I'd pick one up at OSH. However......when I called Sportys, not only did they say that they wouldn't have any to sell at OSH (that may have changed since my call of two weeks ago) but also that they would not be having any OSH pricing special (again, two weeks old).:no:

I asked about three days ago and they said that they will try to get it delivered prior to the 16th and if not just call and they will hold it at OSH. I understood that they may not have a lot to sell at OSH but would be delivering those already ordered.

I saw that the Stratus 2 was on back order, so I thought I'd pick one up at OSH. However......when I called Sportys, not only did they say that they wouldn't have any to sell at OSH (that may have changed since my call of two weeks ago) but also that they would not be having any OSH pricing special (again, two weeks old).:no:

I have the Stratus 2. It requires a USB-3 cable. Those are easy to find. I bought a couple of really long ones so I can have the Stratus stuck to one of the back windows and still plug it into power in the panel. 6' USB-3 cable from Amazon works great.

I've never had any problems using any other USB cable with mine. I never use the original cable. The only problem I've had is that it doesn't much care for chargers under 2 amps.

Yup, it requires the 2.1-amp charger at a minimum.
But I could never get it to charge with other USB cables. You are lucky. I have to use the original cable which is very thick and bulky, especially given the fragile charging connector in the Stratus device.

I believe they also updated the troublesome USB power connector with a more rugged one.

They just added this infographic that shows the differences (what's new is in green and white checkmarks):

stratus-1s-and-2s-features.jpg

I've had my Stratus 2 for a few years now, and I had it fall out of an airplane a couple hundred feet and land on the runway. Scratched it up a bit, but still works great.

How does that story go? "I was inverted and buzzing the tower when...":goofy:

I wonder what "enhanced ADS-B reception" means?

Along those lines, assuming the Stratus 2 is sitting on the glare shield, has anyone noticed an improvement using the optional ADS-B antenna accessory?

Hidden SSID on a Stratus?

Is this a solution to a problem that someone actually has?

Hidden SSID on a Stratus?

Is this a solution to a problem that someone actually has?

I read their justification for this feature is so that airline pilots and other passenger-carrying pilots could use it without passengers "tapping" into it.

I read their justification for this feature is so that airline pilots and other passenger-carrying pilots could use it without passengers "tapping" into it.

Airline pilots using a stratus, with all the gear they have up front - really !!!!

Airline pilots using a stratus, with all the gear they have up front - really !!!!

Meh.... those FMS's are waaay too hard to figure out. Nothing is easier than ForeFlight/Stratus combo!

Meh.... those FMS's are waaay too hard to figure out. Nothing is easier than ForeFlight/Stratus combo!

Love to know what airlines allow that.

Sorry to laugh but if most of you knew what we really have up front you would be shaking your head. With Foreflight and Stratus, you have more information as to weather etc. than I do. I can get it but not an overall weather picture like Nexrad etc. For instance...I have three inertial reference units that use GPS (2) for INITIAL position reference and periodic updates in flight. If I lose BOTH FMS computers and go to standby NAV guess how many GPS units I can use to navigate? If you answered more than zero your wrong. Standby Nav uses what was stored in the FMS to dead reckon navigate and any changes have to be made via lat and long entry. Has all of this happened before? YES YES YES at my airline several times...but we train for it. Try to explain to a Chinese Controller that you do NOT want to go direct because your workload goes up 1000% and the chances of input errors increase.
It is a myth that airliners are better equipped. We have good basic equipment, TRAINING and procedures.

We also have to deal with a window that is multi-layered electrically heated about three inches thick. I have "heard" that the GPS on an IPad will not work through that and there are certain places in the cockpit that a Dual 150 GPS unit will work...but that would be illegal :nono:
Haven't tried a Stratus yet...not that I would.

Last edited:
There's some limited approval for the military to use ipad/foreflight/stratus combos in some rotary wing operations.

Love to know what airlines allow that.

I know a number of airlines use iPads. I don't think there is a big Stratus following because of the passenger detection reasons. I would guess that this new feature allows for the Appareo sales reps to paint a compelling picture to airline execs for safety, and now security. My guess is that they didn't dream the idea up; they probably have heard this from many potential customers.

Yup, it requires the 2.1-amp charger at a minimum.
But I could never get it to charge with other USB cables. You are lucky. I have to use the original cable which is very thick and bulky, especially given the fragile charging connector in the Stratus device.

I just charged Jesse's the other night with one of these...

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IYHVI02

Worked great.

I know a number of airlines use iPads. I don't think there is a big Stratus following because of the passenger detection reasons. I would guess that this new feature allows for the Appareo sales reps to paint a compelling picture to airline execs for safety, and now security. My guess is that they didn't dream the idea up; they probably have heard this from many potential customers.

iPads I have no issue with, actually a great idea but questioning having any customer grade ADS-B receiver in a commercial cockpit, weather information is old by the time you receive it via ADS-B so I would hate to think that a commercial airline pilot is basing his/her weather decision on stale weather info, nor would the FAA allow it.

What type of electro magnetic shielding is implemented on such devices, including iPads

Last edited:
I have a Stratus 2 with an iPad Air 2 and FF already gives me warnings like "Cabin altitude is above 12,000 feet"

How's it doing that? Does it use GPS altitude or does it use the iPad's barometer?

I have the original Stratus unit which I purchased from Sporty's.....used it a whopping 4 flights before the power connector just broke off the motherboard and started rattling about inside the unit. After two days of trying to get Sporty's to return my phone call, I gave up and started emailing their support people. Needless to say, I was dissappointed in Sporty's.....they wouldnt even let me leave a voice mail and their support line was continously busy. Finally after wasting hours of my time, I finally got an email reply. They wanted a $150 bucks to send me a refurbed unit when they clearly knew these units were defective straight out of the box. They offered me a $100 discount to upgrade to a newer unit, but I was reluctant waste more money with Sporty's or the Apero line of products. When I took the cover off my Stratus unit, I was astonished to see that the USB power connector was tied down with a piece of safety wire which could only get looser with each use. I am wondering what luck the flying community has had with the longevity of the newer models of the Stratus 2 units? I heard they have a new power connector?

I have the original Stratus unit which I purchased from Sporty's.....used it a whopping 4 flights before the power connector just broke off the motherboard and started rattling about inside the unit. After two days of trying to get Sporty's to return my phone call, I gave up and started emailing their support people. Needless to say, I was dissappointed in Sporty's.....they wouldnt even let me leave a voice mail and their support line was continously busy. Finally after wasting hours of my time, I finally got an email reply. They wanted a $150 bucks to send me a refurbed unit when they clearly knew these units were defective straight out of the box. They offered me a $100 discount to upgrade to a newer unit, but I was reluctant waste more money with Sporty's or the Apero line of products. When I took the cover off my Stratus unit, I was astonished to see that the USB power connector was tied down with a piece of safety wire which could only get looser with each use. I am wondering what luck the flying community has had with the longevity of the newer models of the Stratus 2 units? I heard they have a new power connector?

I have a Stratus 2. They did switch to a micro-USB-3 connector for the Stratus 2 and the 2S has USB-C. The Stratus 1 had micro-USB. The sockets themselves are fantastically reliable. (All three varieties place the parts that wear out, the spring contacts, in the cable. That means the device should outlast many cables. USB and mini-USB are the other way around.)

I can't speak to how the Stratus 2 and 2S attach the socket mechanically to the board. I can say I've been using my 2 a year with no issues. Maybe they figured it out? The 2, 2S, and 1S have a VERY different mechanical design from the first one. I'm guessing they learned some lessons from that one.

Back