Strange things on Flying Wild Alaska

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
Re-watching an episode of the TV series Flying Wild Alaska, season 2 episode 12 and I just noticed that the nose gear on Ariel's 150 appears to be installed backwards. Is this some sort of "Alaska mod" or is it something put in the show to see how many viewers will catch it?

DSCN5501.JPG

Ariel's 150 was a '66 C-150F. Many of those had forward-facing nose gear scissors.

N8188S-02.jpg

My dad's '65 C-150E had the optional heavy-duty nose gear, which also had forward-facing scissors.

Image11.jpg

Thanks Pilwat, I just pulled up the '63-'69 parts catalog and there it is - Heavy Duty Nose Gear but I'll be honest, I've never actually seen one.

Attachments

• Cessna-150_63-69_HD_Nosegear.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 13
BTW - I also noticed on that same episode there is a scene where Jim is taxiing away in his 180 and the seat-belt is flopping around outside the closed door.

BTDT

BTW - I also noticed on that same episode there is a scene where Jim is taxiing away in his 180 and the seat-belt is flopping around outside the closed door.

BTDT

Oh man this reminds me of a rental I took out in Pottstown/Limmerick this summer. I was doing the pre-flight and noticed 2 squar foot area on the right side of the plane was all beat to hell. The CFI told me a guy flew it with the seat belt hanging out. He never left the pattern and landed right away. I could not believe how much damage could be done with just one trip around the pattern.

I know a few of you guys fly out of there. Fess up, which one of you did it??:nono:

Oh man this reminds me of a rental I took out in Pottstown/Limmerick this summer. I was doing the pre-flight and noticed 2 squar foot area on the right side of the plane was all beat to hell. The CFI told me a guy flew it with the seat belt hanging out. He never left the pattern and landed right away. I could not believe how much damage could be done with just one trip around the pattern.

I know a few of you guys fly out of there. Fess up, which one of you did it??:nono:

Wasn't me! Was that in the 172 (495) or the 152? Next time you're up here flying let me know.

Wasn't me! Was that in the 172 (495) or the 152? Next time you're up here flying let me know.

I just checked my log book and it was N80495.
I will be up that way the week of the 10th but no flying this time.
Totally tied up with meetings and holiday parties.

BTDT

Hahaha so have I... The Eaglets I fly have super long seat belts that no matter what you do always find the door. I've added it to my personal checklist and make sure to tell my passengers to check that their belts are inside the cockpit. Thankfully they wouldn't be able to do any damage if they were outside when we took off--the only end that can hang out is a long thing of seat belt fabric.

I was taught way back when.. it is the pilot's duty to see that their pax are in belted, and the right hand door is closed and safe to fly.

I guess that is why I don't like any aircraft with one door.

A few years back Plane & Pilot had an air to air photo of a young female pilot in the left seat of a 172 on the cover...it sure looked like the door wasn't latched. :D

I was taught way back when.. it is the pilot's duty to see that their pax are in belted, and the right hand door is closed and safe to fly.

I guess that is why I don't like any aircraft with one door.

+2 :yes:

I just checked my log book and it was N80495.
I will be up that way the week of the 10th but no flying this time.
Totally tied up with meetings and holiday parties.

You did a good preflight. I never noticed. If you find yourself with some free time one morning let me know. Butter valley (7n8) breakfast is great and its a cheap flight.

Back