Strange RAM issues

catmandu

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Catmandu
I have a 2013 P75-A7200 that is my everyday device. Got to a point where it would not consistently boot, and someone suggested a motherboard issue. So I picked up an identical one on eBay thinking I'd just swap hard drives and be on my way. Then I discovered the dark magic that is Windows licensing these days. In the end, I was able to cobble together a functioning laptop with my Win10 Pro installation, activated. To include the suspect motherboard. Oh well, I got a screen and keyboard in better condition out of the deal.

I would like to add the 2x4GB RAM from the eBay purchase to the functioning machine, but every time I put them into the expansion slots available (either singularly or together), the machine does not boot, does not let me into BIOS. They work fine when put into the primary slots on the bottom of a motherboard. Same problem on both machines, so don't think it is the SODIMM slots themselves. All the RAM matches, looks to be OEM from Toshiba.

Any ideas?

Are you removing the battery and disconnecting the AC power in between changing the RAM?

Rich

Hi.
More info needed for better help, mobo Make / Model, RAM Make / Model BIOS..
Some mobos will Not accept two different types of RAM, if you use Dual channel vs single, different sizes most of the time are acceptable, read the RAM compatibility for the mobo. Typically most mobos will find your RAM regardless of the slot location, but you should try to install them as suggested, most will recommend slots that are Not next to each other, if you have more than 2 slots. Try different slots if available.
I sounds like you may have some incompatible issues with the new RAM?
To Activate the crooked Bill's OSs, who has stolen more software than most people, and thinks everybody is a crook, and has taken / stolen many K hours from paying customers, you can also do it by Phone. Go to Start and in the window type Activate, keep the numbers for your next request, it may be a HD upgrade or some other trivial update or combination you ma want to try. More stolen hours.

Download the app from crucial.com, it will list details on the specific RAM that works with the board. Free, guaranteed legit and no virus/worm/etc

Thanks all. Decided it was time to 'get off the pot' so I just assembled one working unit with 8GB ram and will do a Crucial upgrade later if I need to.

Back