Strange phone call from Germany needing a pilot in KC

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, got a call from a 'Restricted' number today. Normally wouldn't answer but I felt adventurous. The man on the other side introduced himself and mentioned that he's calling from a German military base on behalf of a German national. Let's call him Fritz.

Fritz has a Cessna airplane manual and has taken a few flights in Europe and the US and has written down his flights in his Cessna airplane manual. And Fritz has a question about past flights that I've taken from Wheeler Downtown Airport (KMKC), specifically flights to Rosencranz Memorial in St. Joseph, MO (KSTJ).

So at this point, I'm trying to figure out what regulation I busted. Did I cross paths with German fighter jet while en route at some point in the past? Bear in mind, at this point I was still waiting for the Nigerian Prince to come on the phone and provide me with instruction for wiring money to my bank.

So, it turns out, Fritz wants to see the eclipse in August. Ahhh.. Okay. He'd called the local flight school and they told him they didn't take foreigners up in their planes. (interesting) But the school has my number as a pilot looking to build hours and anyone wanting to time-build; though, this is not what I had in mind.

Fritz wants to have a plane booked just in case it's cloudy, plus it would be cool to see the eclipse from the air. So, I gave him my secondary e-mail address and told him I would look into it. I've also entertained the thought of flying during the eclipse. But it also occurred to me that this is dangerously close to requiring a commercial ticket. He also expressed that he'd like to fly a bit as he's done what sounds like some discovery flights in the past.

So, thinking of off-loading this guy to a CFI in the area. Any takers? Or should I just do it and chalk it up to a new adventure?

But it also occurred to me that this is dangerously close to requiring a commercial ticket.

This isn't dangerously close to requiring a commercial ticket, this DOES require a commercial ticket AND a sightseeing LOA from the local FSDO (which would restrict flights to a 25 mile radius from MKC), OR a 135 certificate.

This isn't dangerously close to requiring a commercial ticket, this DOES require a commercial ticket

Is that because carrying a PAX would not be incidental to the flight?

If I had been planning to do the flight privately on my own and he wanted to join in, then it would be legal under a private ticket, right?

If I had been planning to do the flight privately on my own and he wanted to join in, then it would be legal under a private ticket, right?

If he was just tagging along on a flight you were already planning, and you paid your pro-rata share, yes. That's permissible under the cost sharing rules (including the common purpose doctrine).

If he joins something you had been planning. Yes, you can pro-rata share it. You can also, just take him up and pay the bill, and he does not compoinstate you at all. That is also legal.

Tim

Besides a commercial certificate and sightseeing LOA, there's a reason that
He'd called the local flight school and they told him they didn't take foreigners up in their planes. (interesting)
TSA authorization is also involved for flight schools. I don't know how that shakes out for "scenic flights".

Besides a commercial certificate and sightseeing LOA, there's a reason that
TSA authorization is also involved for flight schools. I don't know how that shakes out for "scenic flights".
I'm pretty sure non-citizens only need TSA authorization when receiving flight instruction towards a rating. I didn't need to prove my citizenship until my second lesson because the first was counted as a demo flight.

This Fritz is an abject stranger...I'd be very suspicious. In fact, I would report this interaction to Homeland Security, frankly. Limit your involvement. Just my $0.02.
Lol. Yes these little planes we fly are a great danger. Repeated crashes have demonstrated this fact fully.

(That was sarcasm folks)

I wouldn't be interested in flying a complete stranger but it's probably entirely innocent on the German's part. Many Europeans can be quite naive or simple in doing this type of thing. It can be very entertaining to watch.

I wouldn't be interested in flying a complete stranger but it's probably entirely innocent on the German's part. Many Europeans can be quite naive or simple in doing this type of thing. It can be very entertaining to watch.

I had a student that grew up in East Germany. He would take my dry sense of humor seriously and I would have to explain. Great guy though, I really enjoyed just sitting and talking with him. He had some really interesting stories of growing up.

To me, you only have one problem. How do you see an eclipse in a high wing?

Other than that, go fly with him and do not charge him. He will pay you back when you want to go flying in Germany.

I would do it in 1/2 a second.

I'm pretty sure non-citizens only need TSA authorization when receiving flight instruction towards a rating. I didn't need to prove my citizenship until my second lesson because the first was counted as a demo flight.

Only when training towards Private, Instrument or Multi. Commercial/ATP/FR's/joyrides/hour building etc are excluded from that requirement.

Completely independent of any legal, safety or ethical concerns, flying during the eclipse would be a waste. The eclipse is an amazing thing to watch as the moon cuts off the sun. Just before totality, a small piece of the sun still extends beyond the edge of the moon. That piece is incredibly bright, but the shadow areas are dark enough that you can see the solar prominences with just a pair of binoculars. This stage is called the diamond ring for very good reason. You still need to wear the protective glasses until the sun is completely occluded by the moon. The glasses are too dark to see anything on the panel, or on the ground outside of the plane. That means if you are flying the plane, you miss the whole thing. What's the point of that? Stay on the ground and enjoy the whole process. The flying itself doesn't change, it is just a rapid transition from day to night flight. That isn't very special, but watching a whole eclipse may be a once in a lifetime event for you. Skip the flying and watch the eclipse from the ground with appropriate eye wear.

Back