Strange music coming in over computer speakers?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Well, I'm in K.C. setting up my mom's new computer, which is ironic, since I'm fairly clueless about computers (which several of you know firsthand :D).

She bought some nice speakers to go with it, but there is some kind of music playing very faintly over her speakers. Nothing is actually turned on in the computer that plays music. It's almost like gospel music. Sometimes it sounds like a radio station.

BTW, she hears it too, so I'm almost certain that I'm not having auditory hallucinations. ;)

What would cause her speakers to pick up some kind of radio station and how do I make it stop?

Thanks. :)

If you hear the music when the computer is off (or just started), the speakers or the computer are picking up a nearby radio station You'd have to shield or reroute the cables as best you can to stop that. Scott or one of the hams can offer advice.

I've had weird "Why am I hearing that?" experiences that turn out to be some background web page playing sound and/or video.

Mike's right. Chances are there's a radio station nearby. More likely to be an AM station (one or more towers within about 1/2 mile of the house), but possilby FM. There are ways to eliminate the problem - filters and so forth - but sometimes just rerouting the speaker wires will do it.

Sometimes, I can pick up aircraft radios on my computer speakers better than my handheld sitting nearby.

Then some may remember the story of the man who was receiving radio broadcasts through his dental work. Weird!

HR

Check the ground on the AC outlet to which the computer and peripherals is plugged. Also check the surge suppressor to make sure it really is one (rather than just a power strip).

Also check to see if any of the audio wires are frayed.

If there's an analog input wire from the optical drive to the sound card, remove it.

-Rich

The default screen saver that came with my wife's laptop (Acer) plays music. Maybe they loaded something for her?

Also, the radio station doesn't need to real be close if there is a cold solder joint some place. I once turned a home-made audio cable into a crystal radio with a poor joint- the FM station I picked up was >5 mile away.

Back