Strange IFR Flying Day

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Left for Kentucky today and the WX was going to make it an interesting trip. It was IMC around my home aerodrome, dropping to LIFR along the route of flight and then MVFR/IFR at the desitination. I ended up with 3.4 of instrument time and an approach but there were some interesting things happening.

On departure from 10C on runway 09 I was given a different clearence than usual. Instead of RV EON upon entering controlled airspace, heading of 180, then as filled I was given RV NEWTT then as filled, upon entering controlled right turn to 270.

As soon as I was up it was only 1000feet before I was in solid MC and turning right to 270. ATC then gave me a higher altitude and a right turn to 090, just as I got lever and on heading they then turned me to 180. All the while still in IMC. I had a good case of the leans. Things then started to go back to normal around Chi-App airspace. MAN! they were busy with a lot of traffic. I just did what I was told and knew they were really busy, so don't screw up and don't bug them.

Three hours later I was 30 miles form my IAF still in IMC and got a call I never thought I would get in my Cherokee. I was told I was gaining on the aircraft in front of my and to reduce speed as much as possible. That was a feel good. The IAF was a VOR on a class D airport so I got some strange speed and altitude restrictions even as I was cleared for the approach (amended of course). Finally got clear of the delta and was able to do the approach as published.

But it was a great day of getting some strange things thrown at me and getting 'em all done without anyone screwing up. ATC did a great job and I did too! :) It was one of those days were I really felt that I was a real pilot.

It was one of those days were I really felt that I was a real pilot.
That box of Crackerjacks really paid off, eh? :D

It sounds like a great day of some good, clean, safe fun with your head up in the clouds! I'm envious! :)

Nice write-up, too!

Felt like I was there, but without the leans! BTDT, though..

BTW here is the flightaware plot. If you look up at the top you can see the little loop for going east and west. Tomorrow I am off to Memphis, will probably go VFR though.

flight_track_map.rvt

I felt like I was there with you but I DO have the leans. Heh. Glad everything worked out beautifully for you.

Good story, Scott - thanks.
I got to use it a bit this weekend too, flew the 300mi to Fredericksburg (Tx) twice and when there, someone in our party needed a lift to the airlines in Austin Sat am. Saved someone 4hrs driving and got to buzz around in the soup a bit. My wife even volunteered to come along! Austin was hopping and we were 24 minutes in a line up with a bunch of jets and a C130 to get out as a shower approached, then got to watch Continental take the wrong clearance and cross the hold bars as someone was on the ils - oops! "Weve already crossed the lines" but they were allowed to go anyway, no apparent deal. ATC was volunteering lots of help to everyone "my radar showing an area of intense echoes 12 oclock, 15 mi wide, for 20 mi along your route suggest a 20 deg deviation south to avoid then direct when able"
I got a whole lot of direct clearances (I'm slant A) and each time had to say "as a slant alpha, I can accept radar vectors direct, showing a heading of 253 will make it work"

I had an interesting time this past weekend too. This was yesterday's flight: http://map6.flightaware.com/flight_...parturetime=1185825900;arrivaltime=1185837540

And from Friday: http://map9.flightaware.com/flight_...parturetime=1185554040;arrivaltime=1185565920

I got only 0.2 hours of actual instrument time because I wanted to be able to see-and-avoid.

I have to say major kudos to L.A. Center and Albuquerque Center for being proactive in providing weather reroutes before the pilots asked for them.

Back