Strange Howl in the rain...

capg2000

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Capt. Gary
Yesterday, returning from a nice 4 day trip to the Bahamas, I flew thru a few lite to moderate rain showers. The airframe made an unusual "howling" noise. Cowl flaps were open. I did close them & the howl did not stop, until it stopped raining. My plane is a 1968 182L is waxed & is in great tune. She flies true...
Never heard this on my Skyhawk that I owned for 20 years.
Any ideas? ...............
Capt Gary

Yesterday, returning from a nice 4 day trip to the Bahamas, I flew thru a few lite to moderate rain showers. The airframe made an unusual "howling" noise. Cowl flaps were open. I did close them & the howl did not stop, until it stopped raining. My plane is a 1968 182L is waxed & is in great tune. She flies true...
Never heard this on my Skyhawk that I owned for 20 years.
Any ideas? ...............
Capt Gary

Pretty common for Cessna aircraft to make that howl noise in some IMC conditions. I have no idea what it is precisely but I've heard it in quite a few different Cessnas now.

Thanks for the feedback, Jesse, As a Cf- Eyeeeeee, You probably have more IMC experience than me. I'm VFR... only. 2100 hrs.+, but VFR. I had owned a 172N for over 20 years & never heard it on that plane. My Vtail Bone didn't do it, but "Romeo" sings, every time he gets his feathers wet...:) Strange to me, but as long as its safe, who cares. :yes:
Thank you!

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle in the rain and had it impact on exposed areas of skin? If you were travelling through the air at 150 mph getting pelted by the rain, you would be howling too.

I found my windshield seal had given way and it would cause a strange buzzing noise. We discovered it by experimenting with the pitch attitude. At certain AOA the sound would predictably disappear, at others it would start 'singing'.

So, you might check to ensure your sealant hasn't come loose.

An Airbus A320 makes a "whistling" sound whenever flying through a very humid/moist air, especialy at high speed. Also, the engines (V-2500) produce a deeper, growling sound during humid/moist air take-offs.

Last edited:
I have heard the howling in Cessna 206/207. I usually heard it while in icing conditions though.

Funny that when the 206/207 starts picking up ice, the heater works better. I was always covered in sweat after landing....:lol:

Perfectly normal. It's the wing struts. Never heard of any adverse effects. They've done it forever.

It always brings a smile to hear a pilot discover it anew.

Back