Strange coincidence...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I decided that this year instead of doing a vacation type vacation, that I'd do some advanced flight instruction instead. The idea that most appealed was doing a mountain flying course.

So I did a post on verticalreference.com asking for recommendations for mountain training. One of the names that came up several times was Claudio Bellotto at South Lake Tahoe, CA. Claudio came with some very high praise and we started exchanging emails about what I was looking for.

I got my copy of the latest AOPA Pilot yesterday and was flipping through it and saw the article on South Lake Tahoe airport. Near the end of the article there was a writeup and a picture of Claudio and his red R44!

In any case, the plan is to go out there in May for a week of ground and flight training, but it was so weird reading about Claudio while I was in the middle of making my mind up to do the training with him :yes:

That sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Just make sure it won't be over May 17th so you don't miss the FlyBQ. You can regal us with your stories of Tahoe.

Bob, I had almost thought you came to your senses and were going to do a fixed wing mountain course. But, nope. Well, in spite of your dark leanings... have fun out there when ya do go! :)

It's interesting how the "cream of the crop" in their field come to light in such a way. He may gain the same recognition as Bill Kershner... Mr. Kershner just preferred less chaotic machinery. :)

Bob, I had almost thought you came to your senses and were going to do a fixed wing mountain course. But, nope. Well, in spite of your dark leanings... have fun out there when ya do go! :)

It's interesting how the "cream of the crop" in their field come to light in such a way. He may gain the same recognition as Bill Kershner... Mr. Kershner just preferred less chaotic machinery. :)
Ken, what good is a mountain flying course in a F/W when you can't even land on a pinnacle? :D

Chaotic? Just because there's a couple more moving parts? Just because the flight controls kind of interact with each other?

This ought to be fun. It's a subset of the US Forest Service training (omitting the parts that include FS regs, etc) and includes ops in snow, gobs of pinnacle landings, actual exposure to strong up- and down drafts, the box canyon turnaround, all sorts of fun stuff.

This guy, BTW, has NEVER had a student fail a checkride.

Congratulations! That sounds like a helluva vacation plan, and I'm envious.

Back