Strange call from tower...

I did ask the tower once if they could count my last T&G as three operations.....
"<laughter>... That would be cheating."

One of my neighbors if he's puttering away on his homebuilt in the hangar when we land rates the landings. He only has one sign, so we always get a 6 or a 9.

When I first solo'd at BJC, I had dumped my instructor out on the taxiway which apparently had been noticed by the tower. Shortly after takeoff I get a "Doesn't it fly a lot better without that fat guy in the right seat?"

I was flying into KLNK and the tower (I know the guy real well, good friend) wanted me to land on the 12K' runway -v- the shorter one. Since I was flying an LSA I wanted to confirm they wanted me on the big runway. :dunno:

"Lincoln Tower to 9VZ Affirmative. Clear to land 17R. After a few seconds he says "I have seen your landings before". :eek: :redface: :lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The tower is closer to 17R and he wanted a better look at my plane.....I hope. :rofl:

:rolleyes:

I was flying into KLNK and the tower (I know the guy real well, good friend) wanted me to land on the 12K' runway -v- the shorter one. Since I was flying an LSA I wanted to confirm they wanted me on the big runway. :dunno:

"Lincoln Tower to 9VZ Affirmative. Clear to land 17R. After a few seconds he says "I have seen your landings before". :eek: :redface: :lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The tower is closer to 17R and he wanted a better look at my plane.....I hope. :rofl:

:rolleyes:

17R is really really big. All sorts of sight picture problems the first time I landed on it. Luckily the STOL kit kinda covered for my high flare. I kinda got fixated on the giant black patches of rubber left by all the heavies doing T&Gs on it. :)

Was doing a couple landings at a nearby D that has service from United Express. We were on final and the tower held a CRJ at the line, for us (172) on final. My CFI is kinda the grumbly old fart, for whom no maneuver is ever "perfect". We landed and were turning back on the taxiway and my instructor was already ragging on me for me for something, when the tower cleared the CRJ for takeoff. After the CRJ did his read back, he said "and tell the student in the 172 that was a really nice landing!"

I just grinned at my CFI, who rolled his eyes at me and said "ok, let's go again." :D

Shot an ILS in +RA with a 40 kt tailwind in the Aztec. Was asked if I could make the first taxiway because an airliner was shooting the ILS with the 40 kt headwind. "Yeah, should be able to." Landed, first taxiway, "Aztec 27Y, contact ground, and wow."

:D

Airliner was coming the other way?

They had to throw out the vote of the East German judge.

17R is really really big. All sorts of sight picture problems the first time I landed on it. Luckily the STOL kit kinda covered for my high flare. I kinda got fixated on the giant black patches of rubber left by all the heavies doing T&Gs on it. :)

I usually flare somewhere over Yakima when I land at KMWH.

Had TZR ask me if I needed fresh underwear after a gust picked up my right wing on roll out

Navy = tailhook. You can't bounce (far) when you're physically attached to a steel cable, and the aircraft are built to take that.

Not that I've ever flown a military trainer either (except for the DFRC F-18 sim, but that really doesn't count).

I remember treating my Cherokee like and A-4 when trying to learn how and where to flare:rofl:.....

I remember treating my Cherokee like and A-4 when trying to learn how and where to flare:rofl:.....

The landing gear on a Skyhawk makes the neatest "sproonngg" sound when it is bounced just right!

...I've always wondered if the controllers at these Class D's sit up there and rate landings like judges at the Olympics. :) I figured that they did.
Judging by that Il-76 video ("and I'm running out of film, not sure if I've got enough to film the craaash"), they actually film all the pilot bloopers then upload them to Youtube.

Back