Strange call from tower...

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Was doing my BFR today, after my first landing tower called said "We're scoring that one a 10.":lol:

rating system directly correlated to g-force generated by landing impact ... from 1 to 11

(oops - 'it goes to 11' already quoted)

A 10??

That was strange indeed!!!

First time I've ever been scored by the tower.:rofl: it was a sweet landing, actually the whole flight went really well, even did an ILS in the donut. Something to be said for flying barefoot.:D

Did you break your arm?

Was doing my BFR today, after my first landing tower called said "We're scoring that one a 10.":lol:

They usually tell me that I was only cleared to land once...:yes:

But the bigger question - did that "10" consist of 3, 3, and 4?

...I've always wondered if the controllers at these Class D's sit up there and rate landings like judges at the Olympics. :) I figured that they did.

Richter.

Nauga,
who knows the 'flare to land...' saying
Squat to pee.

I have a buddy who went through Navy initial training in a T-34 before getting sent to helos. He had his PPL before he started training with the Navy. First time he went to land the T-34, he started a nice flare and the IP in the back started flipping out 'what the hell are you doing?'

I got a similar call a while back...my buddy in the tower told me that I was just a bit left of the center line on the landing...

My response was "Correct, and the co-pilot was just to the right..."

All I heard after that was squelch...:rofl::rofl:

Squat to pee.

I have a buddy who went through Navy initial training in a T-34 before getting sent to helos. He had his PPL before he started training with the Navy. First time he went to land the T-34, he started a nice flare and the IP in the back started flipping out 'what the hell are you doing?'
Having no military flying experience... do military pilots just not flare? Three-pointers with tricycle gear? Don't get it.

...I've always wondered if the controllers at these Class D's sit up there and rate landings like judges at the Olympics. :) I figured that they did.

Sometimes it gets boring up there when it's slow.

I never got a 10, but I did get a "pretty good" not long after solo.

Having no military flying experience... do military pilots just not flare? Three-pointers with tricycle gear? Don't get it.

Navy = tailhook. You can't bounce (far) when you're physically attached to a steel cable, and the aircraft are built to take that.

Not that I've ever flown a military trainer either (except for the DFRC F-18 sim, but that really doesn't count).

I did not get a ten, but do you remember the Key West ATC comment that my name sounds sexy? You might have switched of tower since I was last to leave.

I almost went back to the FBO to invite her to come with us to the Caymans....I would have left Av's buddy there.

Navy = tailhook. You can't bounce (far) when you're physically attached to a steel cable, and the aircraft are built to take that.

Not that I've ever flown a military trainer either (except for the DFRC F-18 sim, but that really doesn't count).

Had the same experience myself (about 100 hours civilian before going down to NAS Whiting). On my first landing the IP says, "Don't flare so much." Next one he says, "Don't flare so much." Next one he yells, "DON'T FLARE SO MUCH!"

Steve

We've all landed and hoped that someone was sitting around watching... Henning got lucky on that one. If I were the tower I would have said "Betcha can't do it twice". My grandfather would say "Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut"

We've all landed and hoped that someone was sitting around watching... Henning got lucky on that one. If I were the tower I would have said "Betcha can't do it twice". My grandfather would say "Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut"

Actually, I wouldn't have scored it a 10, it drug out too long. Next one put the wheels on the threshold at 40. 40° of flaps in a 172 allows for some nice short landings.

I did not get a ten, but do you remember the Key West ATC comment that my name sounds sexy? You might have switched of tower since I was last to leave.

I almost went back to the FBO to invite her to come with us to the Caymans....I would have left Av's buddy there.

It was Ira that I was flying with.

Shot an ILS in +RA with a 40 kt tailwind in the Aztec. Was asked if I could make the first taxiway because an airliner was shooting the ILS with the 40 kt headwind. "Yeah, should be able to." Landed, first taxiway, "Aztec 27Y, contact ground, and wow."

:D

I like it when they count the landings as opposed to rating them. Had a little trouble the other day and after the second bounce decided to go around. Controller cleared me to land
,I said for the third time ,he said we counted three. Of course I said thanks now I'm current.

One of my first solo flight away from home got a comment when I got back. I made what I thought was a decent landing, then heard the controller say, "Niiiiiiice!"

Better than getting scored a 1, I suppose. Did they have the card turned upside down? :rofl:

You up here in Jawja flying your 310?

Well, yeah, two 5s.

That's nothing. When I was a student, I had five 2s in the mighty 152 on one approach.

Tower asked if I was OK after I came to a stop. :redface:

This was before I figured out correct airspeed was the key.

Navy doesn't. A carrier landing is a power-on approach to a moving airfield and brakes are a steel cable, since throttle goes to full afterburner on touchdown in case of bolter.

If you look at the opening of Top Gun, for instance, you can see that it really is a controlled crash.

Back