Strange airplane (stranger pilot) spotted at my airport

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
So, my phone rang a little before lunch today and the number was one I didn't recognize. I answered and heard, "Hey, I'm out here at the self serve pump and it's not working."

None other than our famous (infamous?) Gaston's Fly In air traffic controller Steve See in his Romanian Death Machine! What a treat! We went with a friend of mine (yes, Diana, it was Dave - jealous? We wished you were there if that helps.) and had a bite of lunch, then visited for a while before he blasted off for home. I hope he posts the photo he took of his GPS groundspeed readout. Man, that's a fast airplane!!!

It's pretty amazing, really, the friends I've made from these forums. Thanks for coming by Steve. It's always great to see you.

Last edited:
thats cool, just waiting for Steve to show up here...

With reference to the second picture, have you ever noticed how just about any time you take a picture of a pilot sitting in his airplane he has a big grin on his face. Not a forced "smile for the camera" smile. A genuine grin. Looks like he was having too much fun with that plane.

Watching the forecasts for NW AR I was considering calling the VBT airport manager and having him rotate the runway 40 degrees, but it worked out fine as is. :)

You know you should learn something on every flight. On this one I learned "Don't eat Mexican and then immediately climb to 9500'." :no:

Thanks for the hospitality, Chip (& David...even if he was stumped by the IAR...hehe). Next time I hope to stay longer, so you can buy supper, too!:yes:

Yea, I kicked in the collimating turbo-ionizers on the way home...passed a DA40 on the way! :D

I won't post the photo taken on the way up...lol.

Attachments

• P1010063.JPG
    P1010063.JPG
    664.2 KB · Views: 85
Does your airplane have an FAA-approved dress code?:rolleyes:

we just like to pick on Steve about his communist airplane, thats all john.

actually its built like a tank. +6/-4 G's if i remember right. And it has hard points for missiles!

You know you should learn something on every flight. On this one I learned "Don't eat Mexican and then immediately climb to 9500'." :no:

You're preaching to the choir, brother.

That was mine, if it was the one parked on the closed runway. There were three at SnF in 2006. And, yes, the diamond plate is original. Some owners have replaced it with a more "traditional" surface, but I think it adds to the plane's character, if there is such a thing.:)

Got it. I saw some at Sun-N-Fun and yes, built like a tank. Diamond plate aluminum wing-walk (or was that an add-on?).

Last edited:
Cool! I saw several, on the warbird flight line. I took pictures of a camo one in 2004 but I can't find the photo now. I also got some diamond plate aluminum sheet to fabricate some foot rests for the cockpit of my Cub replica.

Back