Stranded far from home

Chuck Dillon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
grnbrt1956
Hey all, well after a mere 300+ hours it has finally happened to me, an aircraft breakdown far from home. It was suppose to be an easy fly out meet freinds and come home, ahhhh not so said the big guy in the sky!

I departed Bedford, MA with girl friend in tow in the club Aztec, a short hop over to Beverly, MA airport pick up girl friends friend, then off to Saragatoa County airport in up state NY. Smooth ride up, beautiful day, all the while I am carrying on about the joys of GA flying.

Well we land, park and as I get out there is oil on the no-skid on the flap, mmmmm something not right, look under the inboard right engine, oil from the cowl flap all the way down the right side of the airplane, OH NO!.

A check on the oil level shows we had lost about 3 quarts of oil in a one hour and 12 minute flight! It was fortunate that the FBO North American Aviation had a nechanic there, and even though he was going of duty agreed to look at it. Bad news oil cooler was leaking!

Well the girls had gone to lunch with the friend we where meeting, and had to make the call, airplane grounded, we will be renting a car to get home! So 3 1/2 hours later arrived home! Better to be on the ground then flying, lose all the oil have one engine and wish you where on the ground!

Oh well just thought I would share this with you all.

Have a great day.

Chuck

Stranded far from home with a girlfriend AND her friend.

I don't see the problem here!

I thought I would just chime in that a while ago, I too got stranded at BVY, and the mechanic there also volunteered to stay late and work on the plane. Don't know if it was the same guy--I think his name was Darren--but I was very impressed with the whole FBO.

Ahhh BVY is good, but I was stuck in NY at 5B2 but must say they all went above and beyond to help us. I cannot say enough good things about them!

Thinking the same thing Tim, I wonder how many times that line will get used now. The old, airplanes broke trick.:D.

Followed up by they don't have any rental cars available and I got that last hotel room available in town. Which is conveniently located next to a 24 hour liquor store.

Did I mention that there was three women, a redhead, burnette, and a blonde! As much as I tried they want to get home rather than stay!

I told ya all I had was bad luck that day!

Chuck

These days if you're stranded somewhere in the U.S. there's probably a PoA member somewhere within a stone's throw...

I was very lucky that way once!

Back