Straight in finals..is that a good idea?

francisco collazos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ciscovet
Well most have heard of the midair collision at Watsonville where a twin doing 180kt on a straight in final hit a 152 doing pattern work. My question is there is alot of ambiguity on which person has the right of way. We know generally the lower aircraft has the ROW but also aircraft on final. BUt what constitutes a final? 3mi, 5mi?
Does anyone think that the FAA should clean up the rules as to not allow for straight in approaches but under certain circumstances i.e IFR? Fast airplanes (c130's, lears, etc) especially in uncontrolled airports. I am finishing up my PPL (checkride hopefully at the end of the month) and really would worry about flying in my Class D airport but the more I fly out into nontowered airports the more I am really glad I am flying out of a towered airport.

Rules are just that...people tend to break the rules. I agree that straight in approaches can cause problems if other aircraft are in the pattern. You need to announce your intentions and look, listen and check ads-b if you have it. I am pretty sure most of us try to avoid collisions, but just like when driving your car, you better keep an eye out for others.

Don't be fearful of operating into (dare I say it) "uncontrolled" airports.
Pilots have been operating safely into and out of those kinds of fields for decades.
Some pilots can fly and navigate safely without someone constantly holding their hand 24/7.

sigh, straight ins are done safely all the time, every day.

Yep...and people still have mid air collisions even though we have ads-b and com radios.

It is pretty common to have a Gulfstream land after an Ercoupe at my airport. As long as everyone is alert, no problems. Non towered public airport .

Last edited:
Well most have heard of the midair collision at Watsonville where a twin doing 180kt on a straight in final hit a 152 doing pattern work. My question is there is alot of ambiguity on which person has the right of way. We know generally the lower aircraft has the ROW but also aircraft on final. BUt what constitutes a final? 3mi, 5mi?
Does anyone think that the FAA should clean up the rules as to not allow for straight in approaches but under certain circumstances i.e IFR? Fast airplanes (c130's, lears, etc) especially in uncontrolled airports. I am finishing up my PPL (checkride hopefully at the end of the month) and really would worry about flying in my Class D airport but the more I fly out into nontowered airports the more I am really glad I am flying out of a towered airport.

No. Keep eyes and ears open. And there is case law that says somewhere around 5 miles is "pattern"

@francisco collazos

The Watsonville incident was an unfortunate, (but fortunately rare) situation where not one, but two pilots lost their situational awareness.

The twin Cessna driver could have chosen to do *anything* else, and didn't.
The pattern-flier could have chosen to do *anthing* else, and didn't.

We don't need to keep disallowing actions or maneuvers. If we begin the path you're recommending, well, we'll eventually get to the point where we might as well hang up our keys.

Pilots need to keep their head up, keep their egos in-check, listen to the radio (if equipped), and understand the big picture.

Is there an actual reg against colliding with another aircraft? Other than 91.13 or other umbrellas where we believe collisions are unsafe? Maybe we could start there before micromanaging the judgement of pilots

Be DEFENSIVE. Uncontrolled airspace is just that.
180 kts on straight in, is not defensive.
Also trying to sneak in an additional landing is not defensive.
...and we need another reg, like we need (?)higher gas prices?

In that case, it was more a misidentified/confused approach to a parallel runway than the straight in that was the problem. having said that...

There is a special spot in the "bad place" for pilots who start trying to claim ROW for a straight-in 10 miles out, even on a day when the pattern is full of students. I'm glad to work around 180 kt Kero burners, people who announce they're shooting practice IFR approaches in VFR, and commercial students practicing their deadstick from altitude.

But the Bonanzas and Mooneys and Comanches drivers (dare I add Cirus operators) who can't be bothered to join the circuit are annoying.

In that case, it was more a misidentified/confused approach to a parallel runway than the straight in that was the problem. having said that...

There is a special spot in the "bad place" for pilots who start trying to claim ROW for a straight-in 10 miles out, even on a day when the pattern is full of students. I'm glad to work around 180 kt Kero burners, people who announce they're shooting practice IFR approaches in VFR, and commercial students practicing their deadstick from altitude.

But the Bonanzas and Mooneys and Comanches drivers (dare I add Cirus operators) who can't be bothered to join the circuit are annoying.

So can I expect you to clean the **** out of my upholstery when I gotta go and I dare ask you to extend your downwind 10 seconds, and you're like "no I was here first."

Maybe it's a coastal entitlement thing, but here in **** you country when I'm on straight in, I am offered to "cut in line" way more often than not. In fact, I've never had anyone pull your attitude. I also, always give way to someone on a straight in.

Last edited:
Franscisco, FWIW in 1991 I came within literal inches of swapping paint with an aircraft on Left base at turn to-final. I had been directed to Rt downwind, tower would "call the turn to base". Well he did. After the event I GAVE HIM A NUMBER TO CALL. Deer Valley Tower was apologetic, he had "forgotten about" the guy on left base. So althought a tower adds awareness, he is not responsible. YOU ARE.

Review your Regs. Read 7110.65 (it might be a bit much though). The function of a tower does not include VFR to VFR separation. IT DOES include runway separation. But when VFR, ultimate responsbility is with the pilot.

(added late) [In large aircraft (mass), there just isn't enough time to get the energy right even with a two mile turn to final and I haven't encountered a LARGE a/c in which even a 2 mile turn to file produces no added risks (That is why straight in exists). However, I'm comfrotable with the 421 (340's "big brother") in a 1.5 mile pattern, the 340 pilot has some responsibility here].

You'll learn all this stuff. It's amazing when you do.....what really is in the PILOT's lap, not the ATO's lap. Now go get that ticket.

Last edited:
Technically not true…circle-to-land is often an option.
I knew someone would mention that, but you’re still making a straight in until you get very close to the airport and even if circling, you might be interfering with other traffic.

I knew someone would mention that, but you’re still making a straight in until you get very close to the airport and even if circling, you might be interfering with other traffic.
If there’s other traffic, you have the potential to interfere with it regardless of how you get to the pattern. “Circling” can very possibly mean joining an established traffic pattern.

So can I expect you to clean the **** out of my upholstery when I gotta go and I dare ask you to extend your downwind 10 seconds, and you're like "no I was here first."

Maybe it's a coastal entitlement thing, but here in **** you country when I'm on straight in, I am offered to "cut in line" way more often than not. In fact, I've never had anyone pull your attitude. I also, always give way to someone on a straight in.

must be a Michigan thing… I too am happy to extend downwind if someone’s close and faster, if I was in a hurry I wouldn’t have bought a Cessna 140! :) if they are 5 or 10 out I’ll be taxing to hangar by time they land- I might not be fast but I like a nice tight pattern.

must be a Michigan thing… I too am happy to extend downwind if someone’s close and faster, if I was in a hurry I wouldn’t have bought a Cessna 140! :) if they are 5 or 10 out I’ll be taxing to hangar by time they land- I might not be fast but I like a nice tight pattern.

I think the last place it happened was at Greenville! CAP guys I think. I also will turn in front of someone 5 out without question. My final is usually only a couple hundred feet of wings level (slips notwithstanding) so I'm off the runway pretty quick too.

I’ll never forget the long pause on the radio when a NetJets Citation checked in announcing a 10-mile final, and he found out there were at least 21 other aircraft (10 of us doing Young Eagles rides, 7 CAP 172s, 3 CAP gliders, and a CAP towplane) all inbound at the same time. :D

He was safely and successfully able to fly straight-in, BTW. :cool: Woulda’ been a menace if he’d tried to enter the traffic pattern.

Well most have heard of the midair collision at Watsonville where a twin doing 180kt on a straight in final hit a 152 doing pattern work. My question is there is alot of ambiguity on which person has the right of way. We know generally the lower aircraft has the ROW but also aircraft on final.

There is no ambiguity. The lower aircraft *ON FINAL* has the right of way. In this case, that was the 340.

Both pilots made mistakes - The 340 was way too fast, not configured, and clearly way behind the airplane. The 152 cut off a much faster plane on final, when if he'd waited maybe 20 seconds to turn base they would not have been converging.

BUt what constitutes a final? 3mi, 5mi?

I'm not aware of any case law on this issue, but since most instrument approaches have a 5-6 nautical mile final segment, you should consider at least that distance to be "final".

Does anyone think that the FAA should clean up the rules as to not allow for straight in approaches but under certain circumstances i.e IFR? Fast airplanes (c130's, lears, etc) especially in uncontrolled airports.

Absolutely not. Especially in the case of faster/heavier aircraft, it's generally safest to just let them do the straight in and get the heck out of the way.

Think of it this way. If you're in a cabin class twin like the 340, you're going to be flying the pattern at 1500 AGL - this is standard for those aircraft because, for example, what I could find about the 340 says it has an approach speed of 110 knots whereas a 152 will be something like 60. With a 50-knot overtake, if they flew the exact same pattern as everyone else, then everyone else would have to leave the area if the patterns were the same.

In addition, because they're flying higher and faster in the pattern, they need to fly their pattern further away from the runway. So now, on a standard left-hand traffic pattern, they're going to be above and to the right of traffic on the standard 1000-AGL light aircraft traffic pattern. That means you won't be able to see them if you're in the 152 'cuz you've got a wing there, and even in a low wing single it'd be awkward because you'd have to lean over to see out the right-side window. And if you're in the 340, that 152 is going to be out of sight behind an engine nacelle or a wing.

Bottom line: It is NOT safer to put the fast movers into the pattern. I know that everyone wants to lay claim to their "turn" to land, but seriously, why?!? Wait until you're behind the fast mover on final to turn base, then you can be on final without worrying about whether they're gonna come up your tailpipe and you can just focus on your own flying because they've already landed.

I've been on both sides of this equation numerous times. I happily give way to the bigger/faster guys when I'm in the smaller plane, and I really appreciate it when the little guys let me get my passengers on the ground safely and quickly with a minimum of maneuvering, fuel burn, and trying to scan for slower-moving traffic in all the ground clutter.

I am finishing up my PPL (checkride hopefully at the end of the month) and really would worry about flying in my Class D airport but the more I fly out into nontowered airports the more I am really glad I am flying out of a towered airport.

The tower is mainly responsible for the runway. They are not responsible for separation in the air. That's still on you. See the links that were posted in this thread, there have been numerous mid-airs at towered airports.

No. Keep eyes and ears open. And there is case law that says somewhere around 5 miles is "pattern"

3 miles. That was the Southwest Airlines guy who turned right onto final 3 miles out.

I wouldn't necessarily throw those guys, of which I am one, under the bus. In some ways, it's the same problems as I was talking about above, only worse because I'm at the same pattern altitude as significantly slower aircraft. FWIW, in my "big" Mooney (Long body, IO-550) I can't really see over the nose unless I'm going 100 KIAS or so until I'm configured for landing... And if I'm joining the pattern at the end of a cross country flight I'm probably significantly faster than that - My gear speed is 140, usually I'm descending at around 160-165 KIAS and I have to sit at 14" of manifold pressure for a while to get down to 140 to throw the gear out. Anything less than 14" and the gear warning horn goes off. So, it's not always easy to "fit in" with a bunch of C-birds in a pattern.

However, it's really never been a problem, and that's because of two words: MUTUAL RESPECT.

Every time I've approached an uncontrolled field, in any of the airplanes I fly, with any other planes around, we've worked it out on the radio. Are you in a 152 on base? OK, I'll fly the upwind over the top of you and go around the pattern. Are you in a Gulfstream and ATC just dumped you onto CTAF 5 miles from the field? OK, I'll extend my downwind and come in behind you. Are you in that Cessna on downwind when I was in the turboprop getting switched to CTAF on a 5 mile final? I greatly appreciate it when you extend your downwind for me because I know you're probably paying by Hobbs time and would rather get as many landings per dollar in as you can.

The only time there seems to be problems is when pilots let their egos get in the way and don't exercise that respect for their fellow pilots and want to stake a claim to "their turn" or try to be pattern police (ESPECIALLY on the radio).

So how about we just work together to keep everyone safe, and not start dreaming up new regulations that won't help anyone?

Back