Strabismus

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I have a friend who had (has?) this condition. It was corrected but there were other issues where the sight in that eye shuts down when stressed.

Is this a condition that can be issued on a Third Class basis? How about Sport Pilot?

Yeah, I know. But up until half an hour ago, I hadn’t even heard of the condition. That is why I want to hear from the resident AMEs on this.

The FAA mentions it specifically on their site, so I guess it is a condition where you need to have your ducks in a row, we'll see what the docs/others say.

"Third-class: Applicants for a third-class certificate are not required to undergo heterophoria testing. However, if an applicant has strabismus or a history of diplopia, the Examiner should defer issuance of a certificate and forward the application to the AMCD. If the applicant wishes further consideration, the Examiner can help expedite FAA review by providing the applicant with a copy of FAA Form 8500-7, Report of Eye Evaluation."

Greg, see private email. If he can do the 3rd class exam (which will use second class tools) and not have obvious strabisumus, and never has double vision by history, he can qualify for a 3rd. The must be no obvious "nonorthophoric gaze" during the exam. There actually is no 3rd class standard for convergence.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back