Story of a survivor of SR-71 Structural Failure

Great story, Nick!

I read Col. Richard Graham's SR-71 book, where he talks about those @#$% "unstarts." When the wizkid nerds from Honeywell came out and explained that the new digital system would prevent unstarts, the pilots were skeptical. Amazingly, the nerds were right.

mikea said:
Great story, Nick!

I read Col. Richard Graham's SR-71 book, where he talks about those @#$% "unstarts." When the wizkid nerds from Honeywell came out and explained that the new digital system would prevent unstarts, the pilots were skeptical. Amazingly, the nerds were right.

Mr Weaver obviously had a serious dose of "the right stuff". Can you imagine having the presence of mind to assess your condition and work out that the drag chute had deployed after being ripped from the cockpit of an aircraft doing Mach 3+ at 80,000 ft!

lancefisher said:
Can you imagine having the presence of mind to assess your condition and work out that the drag chute had deployed after being ripped from the cockpit of an aircraft doing Mach 3+ at 80,000 ft!

I don't know about you but going down the home grown pullys-are-more-fun zip lines into the river can make me swim to the bottom while trying to get to the surface.

Back