Storm Thursday

bdlarkin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Saw that there was a storm that rolled through before the air show. I bugged out n Wednesday due to some family commitments at home.

I heard on the airboss freq @liveatc that a L-39 that was supposed to fly the show was damaged and was grounded. They were scrounging to find another L-39 for the lead to fly.

I guess if you own an L-39 borrowing someone else's plane is a no big deal thing.

Any other damage for those still on the field?

Brian N9093K

No damage here other than my tent being full of water. I only saw one plane overturned on my way back to the north 40.
6cc68a62-d868-dfad.jpg

Wow that's a lot of water considering the grounds were dry as a bone yesterday!

Thanks for the update!

Looks like I got out of Osh just in time today.... departed runway 36 about 11:30am, and the weather did not look menacing at all then.

I was in the Lincoln TIG welding pavilion when it hit. They tree to batten down the hatches with the plastic roller tarp things but one of them tore open. We all huddled in the back room watching the tin roof flutter.

This was right around 1:30 from inside Hangar A.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 531653_10151084223349797_1421617802_n.jpg
    531653_10151084223349797_1421617802_n.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 267
Departed from atw we'd. Morning around 0700 a thunderstorm was approaching the runway mouth end and green bay had a thunderstorm.Made a left turn out and headed east with the line following.

No plane here, but the PoA compound in Camp Scholler escaped unscathed. Rob had left hours before it came through. Hope he didn't meet up with I on the road.

The folks from Team Tango told me that although their tent was messed up, my Tango made it unscathed once again.

It was in the booth at SNF when the tornado hit. Apparently all sorts of stuff (chairs, etc) blew right by it, but nothing hit. It dodged another biggie last year too.

No plane here, but the PoA compound in Camp Scholler escaped unscathed. Rob had left hours before it came through. Hope he didn't meet up with I on the road.

I hit some rain over near Lansing MI after those early morning showers crossed the lake. I then was able to stay ahead of the front until just 60 miles from home.

Scuttlebutt from the locals was that the Tuesday before the show week was the real deal. Blew down almost every vendor's tent. Caused most of the summertime temporary workers to have to work extra days to get stuff ready which is why so much auto/truck traffic on Sunday when we were poking our noses around before the place officially opened.

At least 3 rows of porta-potties went down in HBC. It almost had to be a microburst that came through the HBC area and the workshops and forum areas. All (?) of the damage was concentrated there. I was in a forum tent and was seriously concerned that the tent was going to fail in a big, bad way.

Probably half the tents in HBC were damaged, some beyond repair. My neighbors' campsite looked like a yard sale after the storm. Their tent failed (broken poles) and all of their stuff got wet, so they had it strung all over the campsite 30 minutes later.

My son, father and i arrived just before the small wave of rain hit. We immediately set up my 4 season cabela tent only to finish a couple minutes before the second wave hit. Yard sale is correct, I saved the neighbors charcoal after first round then watched their tent only stay put due to their cots inside when the second round occurred.

2 nice ladies behind us when we arrived felt good after first small wave only to leave after the second optore their tent up the second time.

Amazing to see all the display poles sticking up from the dumpsters around the forum buildings, some serious funds went down the crapper that day!

If you want one helluva tent, the cabela tent not only stayed put hardly moving but also remained dry inside!

Last edited:
My son, father and i arrived just before the small wave of rain hit. We immediately set up my 4 season cabela tent only to finish a couple minutes before the second wave hit. Yard sale is correct, I saved the neighbors charcoal after first round then watched their tent only stay put due to their cots inside when the second round occurred.

2 nice ladies behind us when we arrived felt good after first small wave only to leave after the second optore their tent up the second time.

Amazing to see all the display poles sticking up from the dumpsters around the forum buildings, some serious funds went down the crapper that day!

If you want one helluva tent, the cabela tent not only stayed put hardly moving but also remained dry inside!
Yeah, our Cabela's "Taj Mahal" tent came through upright and dry.

I was on a tram heading to the warbird area when the storm hit. It was blowing right to left and we stopped at the warbird tram stop. The gal with me was uncomfortable riding it out on the tram under my poncho so we made a dash for the warbird gift shop (I forgot there was a building to the right and couldn't see it for the rain) Got SOAKED to the bone as the poncho blew around me. My phone fell off my back pack and is still MIA (anyone pick up a Motorola max and not take it to lost and found? will pay shipping to get my photos and stuff back). My camera also took a hit. it was in an outside pocket of my bag and no longer works. :nonod::sad::cryin:

Not a good day for my electronics.

As we were making out way to the warbird gift shop, the food tent partially collapsed on some people and there were several shade umbrealas that will not be used agian. One of the jets in the war bird area was blown off the concreate parking area but at least it wasn't blown into something else.

I was on a tram heading to the warbird area when the storm hit. It was blowing right to left and we stopped at the warbird tram stop. The gal with me was uncomfortable riding it out on the tram under my poncho so we made a dash for the warbird gift shop (I forgot there was a building to the right and couldn't see it for the rain) Got SOAKED to the bone as the poncho blew around me. My phone fell off my back pack and is still MIA (anyone pick up a Motorola max and not take it to lost and found? will pay shipping to get my photos and stuff back). My camera also took a hit. it was in an outside pocket of my bag and no longer works. :nonod::sad::cryin:

Sorry to hear that, Missa!! That sucks about the phone and camera!

Ain't Oshkosh if it don't rain (said by a local). Violent thunderstorms are not novel visitors to the airshow, and are the reason I only bring serious tents. I think it was my first year when a bad storm came through one night and knocked down every tent but mine in the North 40.

Ain't Oshkosh if it don't rain (said by a local). Violent thunderstorms are not novel visitors to the airshow, and are the reason I only bring serious tents. I think it was my first year when a bad storm came through one night and knocked down every tent but mine in the North 40.

I was talking to a friend who's flown around the world a couple of times at the Seaplane base, and she was swearing by her two-person low tent. She says it's survived many storms when many of those around her gave up the ghost. OTOH, my 10-person Cabelas tent has survived three weeks so far at OSH, including a few serious storms, with no more damage than a broken clip and no more water than can be removed by a handful of napkins.

I was talking to a friend who's flown around the world a couple of times at the Seaplane base, and she was swearing by her two-person low tent. She says it's survived many storms when many of those around her gave up the ghost. OTOH, my 10-person Cabelas tent has survived three weeks so far at OSH, including a few serious storms, with no more damage than a broken clip and no more water than can be removed by a handful of napkins.

So far...

That caveat can be applied to anything. The sun hasn't risen in the west... So far.... But, as they say, "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

True enough. My experience is that big cabin tents like that tend to cave in high winds. Perhaps Cabellas makes theirs form sterner stuff. They certainly make good fudge.

I had just landed a couple of minutes before this storm rolled through. I was still taxiing in the grass on the south side of 9-27 when it opened up. I couldn't see much, but we did see a tent blowing across the runway.

My phone has been found, identified and is being shipped back to me! :D:D:D

EAA Airventure is filled with OUTSTANDING people.

My phone has been found, identified and is being shipped back to me! :D:D:D

EAA Airventure is filled with OUTSTANDING people.
I expected no less from the OSH crowd. I think it's more than just pilot's wanting to help fellow pilots, it seems that things like courtesy and honesty are fairly contagious there.

Our brand, new Cabela's "mountain tent", a tent that was "guaranteed" to survive 90 mph winds, remained upright -- but one of the poles failed AT THE METAL END.

Yep, the metal part of the pole snapped cleanly, allowing the fiberglass pole to jut through the rainfly, rendering it less than waterproof. Amazing.

Luckily, the tent came with spare poles, so we replaced the pole and duct taped the rain fly, which made it the rest of the week.

When we took the tent down on Sunday we discovered that another one of the poles was splintered. It had been *that* close to snapping. That was one helluva storm.

I bet Cabelas would honor the 90 MPH thing and replace it. At least the Cabelas of the past would...

I bet Cabelas would honor the 90 MPH thing and replace it. At least the Cabelas of the past would...

They are so far not honoring the warranty, after initially promising to replace the parts. Now they want the tent back before they will replace it.

Since I discarded the broken parts, and left the tent in Oshkosh, this is difficult to impossible. I would not have left it there except for their deceptive email, received while I was in OSH, that promised a replacement pole and rain fly.

When I got home there was a message from them, saying "Whoops! We can't get those parts.". So now I am stuck. No tent, and out $350 after a single use.

It would be less aggravating if my tent wasn't still being sold on their website. Why are their no parts available?

Never again. Their $350 "mountain tent" was trash, their email response was a lie, and their subsequent demand to see the ruined tent despite their awareness of the situation they themselves created is unconscionable. Cabelas used to be great; not anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Our brand, new Cabela's "mountain tent", a tent that was "guaranteed" to survive 90 mph winds, remained upright -- but one of the poles failed AT THE METAL END.

Yep, the metal part of the pole snapped cleanly, allowing the fiberglass pole to jut through the rainfly, rendering it less than waterproof. Amazing.

And perhaps not such stern stuff after all. I wasn't kidding about the fudge though...

Back