Storm in the Gulf

image4.jpg

image2.jpg

That means storms here in a few days. As if we haven't had enough rain...

Well that should increase the cost of av gas. It's timeforthepilotsof teas to invest in seaplanes.

That storm threw up a great swell here for the past week or so. Been surfing every day I can on 4-6 foot waves. You californians can laugh but this is a good week for us.

Jay took a bullseye with this one. At least it was a weak TS with "minimal" surge. Hopefully he will check in soon. His hotel rooms are on pier foundations a few feet off the ground, hopefully they dodged any surge damage.

Just up the coast in Houston all the media types were freaking the hell out (unnecessarily so, it seems)... Bread and water flying off the shelves... gas stations bone dry due to everyone shifting inventory into their car's tanks.. (not that they'd be driving anywhere)...

5a4d9a082c2fb2134e2baa1bdc4ea1c0.jpg

We didn't even get enough wind to blow the umbrellas off the pool deck. A few sprinkles, and that was it.

Actually, it was a gorgeous day on the island, for practically no one to enjoy.
:(

Tropical storms always seem to be overhyped. Ive lived in 'cane country my whole life and Tropical Storms are just big thunderstorms most of the time, the problem is when they downgrade from hurricane to TS because the storm surge is still significant.

We didn't even get enough wind to blow the umbrellas off the pool deck. A few sprinkles, and that was it.

Actually, it was a gorgeous day on the island, for practically no one to enjoy.
:(

No real surprise with the low NE of you...

That storm threw up a great swell here for the past week or so. Been surfing every day I can on 4-6 foot waves. You californians can laugh but this is a good week for us.

Unless you go to Mavericks, 4-6' is pretty good surf for California.

Our island lost a million bucks in tourism this week, thanks to the breathless talking heads threatening "Armageddon in the Gulf".

This used to happen to us in Iowa, too, with "Blizzardgeddon" being predicted every winter. People go crazy, cancel everything, stock up on bread and water, and hunker down with generators and crucifixes.

Then, after 4" of snow, everyone laughs, criticizes the weatherman, and instantly forgets how they were duped.

Then...the next storm comes, and the talking heads need to sell more stuff -- so they ratchet up the hype a little bit more...

Ya gotta wonder when people will stop falling for it. Of course, when we got nailed with 10+" of rain here last month, it was totally unpredicted... lol

I know exactly what you mean, Jay.
Yesterday afternoon, many businesses started closing at 3pm here (200 miles inland, mind you) for inclement weather. I said out loud a few times "idiots". People said I was dumb, reckless and didn't understand weather.
Needless to say, nothing happened, we had a little bit of rain after midnight (great way to fall asleep with the rain drops drumming on the roof). And the idiots think they saved quadrillions of human lives. :D Let's let them have that one. ;)

Tropical storms always seem to be overhyped. Ive lived in 'cane country my whole life and Tropical Storms are just big thunderstorms most of the time, the problem is when they downgrade from hurricane to TS because the storm surge is still significant.

The problem with TS can be rain. The winds and surge aren't too strong with them, but I have known a TS to stall out and dump insane amounts of water in 1-2 days

Yup, Texhoma and the rest of Central/East OK is going to be drenched by end of tomorrow, which doesn't bode well for all of the area lakes which are already at full pool/flood stage trying not to flood everyone in TX/LA by releasing it down the Arkansas/Red River. They won't have much option but to let the 7"+ expected run downhill and flood SE OK, TX, etc.

The suspect it might become a Brown Ocean Storm and rebuild...not hard to imagine with all the latent moisture on the ground. Sure has been wet here in Seabrook....

Never heard of the "Brown Ocean" thing until today on the Weather Channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_ocean_effect

Brown ocean effect is the term describing how tropical cyclones can maintain strength or intensify over land surfaces. Tropical Storm Erin is an example of the brown ocean effect, when the storm intensified over Oklahoma in 2007. In Australia such storm systems are called agukabams. A 2013 NASA study found that from 227 tropical cyclones after landfall, 16 strengthened, because of the brown effect.

The press release stated, The land essentially mimics the moisture-rich environment of the ocean, where the storm originated. Another study concluded that latent surface heat flux from land surfaces have the potential to actually be larger than from the ocean, albeit for brief periods only

This is impressive. T.P. Bill is now 400 miles away from us, but we are at the very bottom of the red tail, getting drenched.

The storms are building over us, dropping an amazing amount of water -- and feeding a storm that stretches to Illinois!

Luckily, we are a glorified sand bar, and most structures (including ours) are designed to withstand storm surge. We flood easily, drain quickly, and everything gets back to normal.

805b0e02d23f152dc90b875bc0e4675e.jpg

At last! Another real single malt Scotch drinker! But please don't ruin the Laphroaig ! Sadly, when I order "Laphroaig" here, I hear "Gesundheit" or "HUH?" from the barkeep.

I bought a bottle of Laphroaig a couple of years ago. It took a while, but I finished it. By the end of the bottle I was almost used to the band-aide smell/taste. It is a bit strong for me, but acceptable. Dalwhinnie is just too wimpy...no flavor.

I bought a bottle of Laphroaig a couple of years ago. It took a while, but I finished it. By the end of the bottle I was almost used to the band-aide smell/taste. It is a bit strong for me, but acceptable. Dalwhinnie is just too wimpy...no flavor.

Laphroaig is to only be taken with water...straight up is an assault on the senses

After 40 years of drinking every known intoxicating beverage on this planet, I still fail to understand the love affair with scotch whiskey. To me, it's nothing but varying flavors of rubbing alcohol.

Now, if we want to talk about the sublime variations of gin, that's a conversation worth having.
:)

Bombay Sapphire, in particular.

Mmmmmm......... Bombay Sapphire is like a soft, velvet wrapped blanket of sublime love on a cold winter's night.

Add some fresh-made tonic, and a fresh-squeezed, just-picked lime, and oh, my goodness, it's absolutely a religious experience on a hot summer's night.

;)

Brown Ocean Effect, got it. Never heard the name but heard of the actual effect.

Now if only the moisture left and allowed the clouds to lift enough so that I can go flying and take more IR lessons!

After 40 years of drinking every known intoxicating beverage on this planet, I still fail to understand the love affair with scotch whiskey. To me, it's nothing but varying flavors of rubbing alcohol.

Now, if we want to talk about the sublime variations of gin, that's a conversation worth having.
:)
Everyone that I know that says they don't like Scotch,
has only tried cheap Scotch.

And I know that some people like to water down their Scotch, but to me, that is blasphemy. Unless it is a cheap Scotch, and then it is best served over really cold Ice (to kill the taste).

But if you don't like Scotch, that's fine. Less demand means the price won't skyrocket as much. There is a reason Scotch costs more.

Back