Storing a pranged aircraft

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Greetings,
My buddy pranged his plane. It's totalled.
He has asked me if the insurance company could store it in my hanger. It's not a problem, as I have plenty of room.
What's the going rate to bill the insurance company for storage?

Thanks

At SNC, not far from you, it's $215/month per plane in a shared hangar containing 4 planes.

If your client is an insurance company, surely you should jack up the rates.

A friend has a body shop. My car was in an accident and sat there several days before the insurance company declared it a total loss. I apologized that it took up space on his lot and he didn't get to repair it. His response: "no worries. Insurance companies pay me $30 a day to store cars here."

If you store a busted plane you might have people wanting to inspect it before bidding on it.
Happened to me many years ago.

Just a heads up ... the FAA & NTSB may want to take a look at it at a later date so it's likely wise to not do anything with it until the investigation is closed. And as stated above the owner of the storage facility will be the one to have to give access to the damaged plane whether to the investigators or prospective buyers in the future. Price accordingly ...

Going storage lot rate 25-30 bucks…a day…they get grumpy put a lien on it…

We had a AA1 get pranged on our field. It got moved around a bit waiting for the insurance company to come salvage it. They put it up on some listing of salvage stuff and you wouldn't believe the idiots who called to inquire. This guy had the idea that he was going to be able to trivial patch it up and ferry it out of there.

Just a heads up ... the FAA & NTSB may want to take a look at it at a later date so it's likely wise to not do anything with it until the investigation is closed. And as stated above the owner of the storage facility will be the one to have to give access to the damaged plane whether to the investigators or prospective buyers in the future. Price accordingly ...
After the FAA/NTSB are done with any investigation, pickle the engine.

Back