Stops on the way to OSH

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
I plan on refueling plane and person at KMTO about halfway between Huntsville AL and OSH. Any thoughts on the steakhouse or any other recommended stops about three hours out from OSH?

I plan on refueling plane and person at KMTO about halfway between Huntsville AL and OSH. Any thoughts on the steakhouse or any other recommended stops about three hours out from OSH?

Are you asking for recommendations around KMTO? Three hours out can mean a lot of different things depending on the speed of your plane!

On an unrelated note, keep in mind that it is not unusual to see TFRs show up around Chicago. Be flexable.

Jim

Steakhouse in Mattoon (KMTO) is OK, but I would recommend CJs in Bloomington, IL (KBMI) as a better alternative.

I concur with Steve. IMO food is better at CJ's (call and check their hours) in Bloomington/KBMI but the gas is probably cheaper in Mattoon/KMTO.
EDIT: Maybe not! Gas looks cheaper at KBMI as of right now. Two FBO's at KBMI now so maybe a little war on prices is going on. If you park in front of the restaurant/old terminal they wont be able to fuel you there.

In the area (Central IL) gas is definitely cheaper at C15 (Pekin) or my home drome KAAA (Lincoln/Logan Cty).

The food at Mattoon isn't bad at all though and there's no control tower (Class E) whereas Bloomington has a tower (Class D - opens at 6am closes at 10pm). Don't let the Class D scare you though, it's not a real busy place and the tower is easy going.

Last edited:
I've been to MTO a few times, nice airport, fuel usually averages on the high side though. I'd try to top off in Northern KY or so, then fill up at BUU, Burlington, WI.

I've been to MTO a few times, nice airport, fuel usually averages on the high side though. I'd try to top off in Northern KY or so, then fill up at BUU, Burlington, WI.

Unless you can burn mogas, in which case Portage is a pretty friendly place. And, there are brats on the plate all day long if you are hungry. Used to be free, I think they ask for a donation now.

Jim

I was planning on making my last stop before OSH at Hartford (HXF) to fill up on Mogas

Interesting strategy (not that it is wrong).

We always stop at Aurora, which is 45 minutes from Osh. That provides a chance to stretch legs and empty bladders. I want to be able to concentrate on the arrival, not on how painfully full my bladder is. ;-)

JA at Aurora is a nice FBO. CJs at Bloomington is a nice place to eat. Lots of great places to eat within 5 mins of Chicago Exec, but fuel prices are through the roof.

KJOT (Joliet) on the SW side of Chicago has mogas, crew cars and a great place for Italian beef sandwitches on the NE corner of the field.

Back