Stolen Plane Crashes by Fresno

ainokea

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ainokea
Not sure if this has been posted yet. I heard about this plane crash the other day but come to find out the guy stole the plane!

Read more about it here

Video here

Pilots at Buchanan Field like Fiona McChesney expressed worries over airport security.
"You know if someone really wants to get into an airport they can get on an airport," said McChesney.

Maybe we can shoot ourselves in the foot.

dumba$$ got what he deserved.

Honestly though, I'm surprised we don't see more prop locks. Back when people were scared of car theft the club got real popular. Only thing is that non-pilots I don't know if a prop lock looks like a deterrent.

Wow, a fail on every level.

1. That he would steal a plane.

2. That he would attempt to fly it unlicensed.

3. That he would deliberately go to Fresno.

3. That he would deliberately go to Fresno.

You're assuming that he knew how to navigate. It said that he may have stopped at Stockton for food and Stockton is a towered airport, so I am not sure how he pulled that off. I am leaving for the airport now, to fly to Modesto for business, so there are reasons to head in that direction.

This is basic ground school stuff guys, your not supposed to clip electrical lines, everyone knows that.

We are being shot in the foot though, TSA is going to be all over this one. I can see twenty foot high razor wire topped fences around every little airstrip in the nation. Live guards with dogs at every entrance. Mandatory prop locks on every airplane. Sign in, sign out sheets, photo IDs, special hats with your airplanes tail number emblazoned across them so the tower can read it on take off. We are going to have to give at least a twelve hour notice to TSA before entering any airfield, along with the reason we are going there.

This is like a huge gift to our nations security forces, they've been having wet dreams about this day.

John

This is basic ground school stuff guys, your not supposed to clip electrical lines, everyone knows that.

We are being shot in the foot though, TSA is going to be all over this one. I can see twenty foot high razor wire topped fences around every little airstrip in the nation. Live guards with dogs at every entrance. Mandatory prop locks on every airplane. Sign in, sign out sheets, photo IDs, special hats with your airplanes tail number emblazoned across them so the tower can read it on take off. We are going to have to give at least a twelve hour notice to TSA before entering any airfield, along with the reason we are going there.

This is like a huge gift to our nations security forces, they've been having wet dreams about this day.

John

That ship has sailed. This certainly didn't get the publicity of the Barefoot Bandit (although he somehow managed to live through several crashes). I think this more falls in the category of Darwin candidate.

Honestly though, I'm surprised we don't see more prop locks. Back when people were scared of car theft the club got real popular. Only thing is that non-pilots I don't know if a prop lock looks like a deterrent.

Every so often on the intertubes I'll read a story of someone carjacking a car, only to discover it's a manual transmission and they are flummoxed.

I suspect planes are a few orders of magnitude above that.

My bonanza is unlocked with the keys in it, tied outside. Has been for 3 years. If people are joyriding, I'm none the wiser.

Turns out the guy who stole the plane was "high" and I'm not talking about altitude either...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/15/BAT31N81EN.DTL&tsp=1

LOL :rofl: I'd like to nominate that article for the "No S--t Sherlock" Award.

"But he was still too high to fly an airplane, that's for sure."

Ya think? What is the FAA maximum dosage of Meth?

"That's almost certainly what caused him to crash," Hadden said.

Hadden might be jumping the gun, We'll need to wait and see if the NTSB determines that it was a "Contributing factor"

Back