stolen log book

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
I made a couple appt's to do my BFR at the same FBO I received my PPL. The front desk lady asked me to bring a couple things, log book, PPL and medical. I told her three times that I am going in 6/11 to get my medical done. Told her my log book was stolen about 5 years ago. She was puzzled on how am I going to prove how many hours I have?? And kind of rude over the phone.

She also asked how much I weighed. LOL

I said, I don't think it will matter how many hours I have/had it will be up to the CFII to make sure I am proficient before he signs me off. Is that correct?

Is there a app or program that I can log my hours so I always have a hard copy? The last time I remember adding up my hours I had somewhere around 200+.

Too bad you lost your logbook! But this is why I highly recommend logging your time in digital format. If you back up your digital log properly you won't ever loose the data. I use LogTen Pro and Logbook Pro and like them both very much (yes I keep duplicate digital logbooks). Logbook Pro is definitely my favorite but LTP has many great feature that LBP doesn't have. Just be sure to keep the paper logbook for instructor sign offs, Flight Reviews, etc.

She has no idea what she is talking about. Unless you have a minimum number of hours required in type to rent or something.

If you have a PP cert just bring a new logbook and get a BFR signoff in it. You are then legal to fly (with a medical of course)

I made a couple appt's to do my BFR at the same FBO I received my PPL. The front desk lady asked me to bring a couple things, log book, PPL and medical. I told her three times that I am going in 6/11 to get my medical done. Told her my log book was stolen about 5 years ago. She was puzzled on how am I going to prove how many hours I have?? And kind of rude over the phone.

She also asked how much I weighed. LOL

I said, I don't think it will matter how many hours I have/had it will be up to the CFII to make sure I am proficient before he signs me off. Is that correct?

Is there a app or program that I can log my hours so I always have a hard copy? The last time I remember adding up my hours I had somewhere around 200+.

Next time you talk to her ask her how much SHE weighs. That will put an end to the rudeness! :D

Was she filling out a form for aircraft rental? Possibly, weight & balance info in her app? Just wondering. When given the option of assuming ignorance or evil intent, I try to err on the side of ignorance.

Was she filling out a form for aircraft rental? Possibly, weight & balance info in her app? Just wondering. When given the option of assuming ignorance or evil intent, I try to err on the side of ignorance.

:yes:.......................................;)

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into the log book back up systems.

When she asked how much I weigh I figured she wanted to make sure I could fit in there piper 140's. That's what the FBO has as trainer's. Just found it funny.

Of course that's why she was asking. But would it really matter unless they were flying a 150/52?

I just don't tolerate rudeness very well...especially from someone I'm potentially going to do business with!

Yep. I've been filling in that number on forms since the day I started training. Not rude. Part of the process.

Your logbook was stolen FIVE years ago and you are just now scratching your head on what to do?

If it were me at the FBO you wouldn't get checked out at all.

Of course that's why she was asking. But would it really matter unless they were flying a 150/52?
Those aren't the only training planes out there for which trainee weight is an issue.

In any event, the lost/stolen logbook issue is addressed by the FAA as follows:
5-172 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Inspectors should advise airmen that they may reconstruct lost logbooks or flight records by providing a signed statement of previous flight time.

A. Proof of Experience. Airmen may use the following items to substantiate flight time and experience:
· Aircraft logbooks,
· Receipts for aircraft rentals,
· Operator records,
· Copies of airman medical files, and
· Copies of FAA Form 8710‑1, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application.

B. Obtaining File Copies. Airmen who have lost their logbooks or flight records may request copies of their files from the FAA by writing to the following:
FAA Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
or
FAA Aeromedical Certification
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
NOTE: Inspectors should encourage pilots to complete the flight time sections of official record forms, even though it would not be required for that specific certificate. These records document a chronological development of flight time in case personal records become lost.
5-321 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Aeronautical experience requirements must be shown for a person to be eligible for the issuance or to exercise the privileges of a pilot certificate. A pilot who has lost logbooks or flight time records should be reminded that any fraudulent or intentional false statements concerning aeronautical experience are a basis for suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating held. The pilot who has this problem may, at the discretion of the ASI accepting the application for a pilot certificate or rating, use a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record. Such a statement should be substantiated by all available evidence, such as aircraft logbooks, receipts for aircraft rentals, FAA Form 8710-1 showing hours in section III, and statements of flight operators as specified in Volume 5, Chapter 1, Section 8. Please note, as long as section III (Record of Pilot time) of the airman’s last FAA Form 8710-1 was completed and verified by the ASI, these hours may be used for establishing previous logbook hours

I got turned on to LogTen Pro which you can check out here;http://coradine.com/ There are 2 versions, the standard Logbook and the Universal Logbook. I think they run $30 and $80 if memory serves.

Fully syncs everything, and has esignature capability. It does take some getting used to with setting it up, because it's very thorough. The great thing is, that you can then set up "smart lists" of different collated information. TT tailwheel, TT complex, etc. I found it extremely helpful and worthwhile to setup.

Before that I was using Pilot Pro.

Last edited:
Those aren't the only training planes out there for which trainee weight is an issue.

No kidding. But what other 2 place plane would they most likely be flying at a flight school for a Flight Review...a PA38?? Pretty much any 4 place "trainer" plane will not have a weight issue with full fuel and 2 fairly large adults. Even the little PA-28-140 with a 700lb useful load will carry 2 200 pounders with 50 gallons of gas. Fill it to the tabs (36 gal) and weight is hardly an issue at all.

In any case it's a non-issue...sounds like the flight school asks for trainee weight as a matter of procedure.

It's possible they're assigning you an instructor based on your weight. If their instructor is a 250lb-er, it might not work out so well if you're similar sized.

Your logbook was stolen FIVE years ago and you are just now scratching your head on what to do?

I wouldn't use your services then either if you were at the FBO. Lots of other FBO's in my area that will take my money.

Instead of spending money on a computer program. The easiest way is to just scan the logbook. Every time I complete a page it gets scanned. No data entry, no extra money spent, no worries.

No kidding. But what other 2 place plane would they most likely be flying at a flight school for a Flight Review...a PA38?? Pretty much any 4 place "trainer" plane will not have a weight issue with full fuel and 2 fairly large adults. Even the little PA-28-140 with a 700lb useful load will carry 2 200 pounders with 50 gallons of gas. Fill it to the tabs (36 gal) and weight is hardly an issue at all.

In any case it's a non-issue...sounds like the flight school asks for trainee weight as a matter of procedure.
Probably a good idea. I was teaching at a 2-plane flight school (both 172's) and this one guy shows up who must have weighed close to 400 lb. Even I, with my somewhat skinnier-than-average-American-adult-male physique, wasn't going to fit in the plane with him unless I was in the back seat (not an option ;)). Anything less than a 182 just wasn't going to work, and we didn't have one of those. Made for a bit of an embarrassing situation when we told him he wasn't going flying with us after he'd already showed up at the airport for his scheduled training session.

If he hasn't flown in 5 years, I don't see the big deal.

If I had all my DVDs stolen, but didn't have a DVD player, why would I worry about getting them replaced? Same with a logbook that isn't being filled in.

Instead of spending money on a computer program. The easiest way is to just scan the logbook. Every time I complete a page it gets scanned. No data entry, no extra money spent, no worries.

There are other advantages to having a digital logbook. Filling out insurance forms, IACRA 8710 forms, most flight schools require the customer to list their flight time when doing an aircraft checkout and filling out job applications is much easier if the data is in digital format (cuts down dramatically, or eliminates, arithmetic errors)

Besides, as aviation stuff goes, digital logbooks are hardly expensive!

Who the hell would steal a logbook? Why? It's of no benefit to anyone else.
That may be true, but if it's in a flight bag in your car, and someone breaks into the car and steals the juicy-looking bag, the fact that the thief will later curse you for having nothing of value (at least, not to the thief) in the bag won't help -- thieves don't return unwanted material to the victim. BTDT, 1972. Glad I had a copy of the logbook.

Who the hell would steal a logbook?

Why? It's of no benefit to anyone else.

I would just echo what Ron said in the above post...you have a nice looking black bag sitting in the front seat of your car and the idiot thief grabs the bag not knowing or caring what's inside and, poof...stolen logbook.

All the more reason to NOT carry your logbook in your flight bag (unless you are a student or on the way to do a Flight Review, etc). Leave the logbook at home!

If he hasn't flown in 5 years, I don't see the big deal.

If I had all my DVDs stolen, but didn't have a DVD player, why would I worry about getting them replaced? Same with a logbook that isn't being filled in.

You still have DVDs?

To be accurate, it was olive-brown leather, and it was in the back seat.

Hmmmmmm......

You live in the DC area... and have a "Olive - Brown leather bag in your back seat.....:idea::idea::idea:...

Maybe the KGB thought it was the "drop bag"...:redface::redface:......:D.

Jus kiddin........... Calm down....:lol:

That may be true, but if it's in a flight bag in your car, and someone breaks into the car and steals the juicy-looking bag, the fact that the thief will later curse you for having nothing of value (at least, not to the thief) in the bag won't help -- thieves don't return unwanted material to the victim. BTDT, 1972. Glad I had a copy of the logbook.

That's exactly what happen, except the car I had at the time didn't have automatic locks and I went in to a store and didn't lock the car, came back and my flight bag was gone. I looked around in a 2 mile radius think they might of just tossed the whole bag but found nothing.

I would keep a log duplicate record on my computer. You want to be able to prove your time for future ratings. I keep my log at home.,and take it to the airport for entries that need a sign off.

Sucks to loose your logbook. Can I kinda/sorta thread side-jack? It's related.

I'm working my PPL, I keep a log book, but I also log using MyFlightbook app when I get a moment. It syncs to the web the second you hit save. I can view it on my android, IOS, and the web instantly. It's free. Is there a reason to pay for the above mentioned apps? It tracks all my various maneuvers, landings, type of flights, etc etc. It can also export to CSV which i do once a while and save it to my DropBox. I like it because it also tracks my progress on what hours I need for various minimums before checkride. What am I missing?

This can help the original poster on the digital log selection process. :)

Sucks to loose your logbook. Can I kinda/sorta thread side-jack? It's related.

I'm working my PPL, I keep a log book, but I also log using MyFlightbook app when I get a moment. It syncs to the web the second you hit save. I can view it on my android, IOS, and the web instantly. It's free. Is there a reason to pay for the above mentioned apps? It tracks all my various maneuvers, landings, type of flights, etc etc. It can also export to CSV which i do once a while and save it to my DropBox. I like it because it also tracks my progress on what hours I need for various minimums before checkride. What am I missing?

This can help the original poster on the digital log selection process. :)

Mitch, you aren't missing anything. MyFlightbook is a great solution to digital logbooks for all the reasons you listed above. Eric (I believe that's the developers name) does an outstanding job with updates, improvements an user requests. If you donate $10 to MyFlightBook he will set it so that your data is automatically saved to Dropbox every night. I donated the $10 and every night the file is saved in my Dropbox. I don't keep my MyFlightBook current, but I'm a big fan of it just the same. If you ever decide to use Logbook Pro or LogTen Pro you can simply use the csv file generated from MFB. You can't go wrong with MFB!

Every six months I scan copies of my logbook onto the computer…and I print out the scanned data as well. Works like a charm!

Hmmmmmm......

You live in the DC area... and have a "Olive - Brown leather bag in your back seat.....:idea::idea::idea:...

Maybe the KGB thought it was the "drop bag"...:redface::redface:......:D.

Jus kiddin........... Calm down....:lol:
Actually, it happened in the Bronx in NYC.

Another vote for MFB, but its the paper one I don't keep current unless I'm actively working on a new rating.

Mitch, you aren't missing anything. MyFlightbook is a great solution to digital logbooks for all the reasons you listed above. Eric (I believe that's the developers name) does an outstanding job with updates, improvements an user requests. If you donate $10 to MyFlightBook he will set it so that your data is automatically saved to Dropbox every night. I donated the $10 and every night the file is saved in my Dropbox. I don't keep my MyFlightBook current, but I'm a big fan of it just the same. If you ever decide to use Logbook Pro or LogTen Pro you can simply use the csv file generated from MFB. You can't go wrong with MFB!

Who the hell would steal a logbook?

Why? It's of no benefit to anyone else.

But its loss is a detriment to the owner. Sometimes its about hurting someone else, not bettering your own situation.

Ex Girlfriend, for instance...

Back