***Stolen Garmin 495*** in SoCal **Serial # 1E0003018**

Cessna515

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
c515
My Garmin 495 was stolen during a burglary of my home (also stolen my revolver, bike but fortunately not my pilot bag or log book).

If anyone in the Southern California area somehow sees a Garmin 495 for like $50 or some insane price, please let me know. I live in Anaheim just south of Fullerton Airport (County of Orange). Of all the things stolen, I'm mostly upset about the GPS.

I can be reached at 714-618-8354 if anyone happens to see something suspiciously listed somewhere. I can also be emailed at cessna515@gmail.com. I'm keeping an eye on craigslist and ebay.

I've already reported it stolen to police and Garmin so at least updates can't be purchased for this unit.

Thanks!

Wes

Bump

Sorry for your pain man, I really am. Was it insured?

Watch eBay.

Last edited:
Jerk who took it may not even know its an aviation GPS. I think your best bet is if someone tries to update it but by then my guess is some poor sap innocent pilot may have bought it from the thief. I hope you get it back.

My Aera got stolen... Was not a fun day, someone snatched it from my parked car. Sucks too because I just want to tell them "I'll buy you a new TOP OF THE LINE NUVI if you give it back" RAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE

Wes,
Just checked Sacramento Craigs List & no joy. Good luck...:(

Sorry to hear this, Wes. If you check back on this thread, let us know what all they got on the Garmin--just the unit? Unit and 12V power cord? Mounts? Manuals? Was it in a case of any sort? That'll give us some more detail to watch for if we see a unit come up for sale.

Sorry to hear this, Wes. If you check back on this thread, let us know what all they got on the Garmin--just the unit? Unit and 12V power cord? Mounts? Manuals? Was it in a case of any sort? That'll give us some more detail to watch for if we see a unit come up for sale.

They got the stock zip black bag it came with along with a brand new dc cable. Also the attachment that connects to the unit for purposes of attaching it to the bean bag mount. The one oddity is I always had a pair of cheapie headphones (probably HP or Sony brand) in one of the small zip side compartments in the Garmin bag. They did not get any manuals nor the yoke mount. Other thing is I had removed the stock antenna on the unit on my last flight to test the external antenna (which at this point I don't think was in the Garmin bag). Although I removed it, I left it in the bag. I'm also pretty sure there were 4-8 AA batteries in the bag. It was pretty much stuffed with things when I think about it.

I think the main identifier other than the serial number is that most of my flights from the past year were saved. My past flights are mostly local which always originate at FUL. The last recorded flight on there was on August 23 or 24 from Fullerton at about 6:30 p.m., left turn after departure to 120 degrees then to Huntington Beach Pier. I then went south along the coast down to Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, El Toro, Anaheim Hills then straight in runway 24 at Fullerton.

I think I had also setup an aircraft profile for N51515 which is the aircraft I usually rent at Fullerton. And even if they delete my flights, I had setup a couple of alert areas: 1) 1 mile around KFI tower 2) 3 miles around Disney land for their TFR 3) 3 miles around Angel Stadium and 4) 1 mile around San Juan Capistrano Mission in South OC.

Thank you for posing the question. I sincerely appreciate it! I'm thinking I will post similar information at Fullerton Airport and John Wayne (but I really don't know where to do so at SNA).

I would report it to Garmin and Jeppesen. They may be able to mark it stolen, which could makes it ineligible for database updates and/or warranty service.

Not sure, but some electronics MFRs will do that. It's worth a follow up. They might want a police report if they can do this.

Would be REALLY cool if Garmin provided a page in the GPS where you could put your email address--and it would then email the lat/long of where it was powered up, every time it was near open WiFi. IT knows where it is!

If you had a cellular modem in it, then your carrier could track it; however, I think Garmin only has one model like that.

My iPhone reports to me its location pretty regularly, though it's not as solid a GPS...

Back