STOL Tips backcountry flying seminar Austin,Texas DEC 10-11

Learntolandshort

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Learntolandshort
Backcountry Aviation is holding a STOL seminar in the Austin area Dec 10-11. These are 2 day courses that have about 4.5 hours of ground and 2 hours of flying. They are based on the STOL Tips Articles and Videos that we have put out over the years. We have a fantastic group of instructors and our goal is to share safe backcountry flying techniques in all types of aircraft. We try to keep it accessible from a cost perspective as well as a convenience perspective. To that end we travel to just about any place that can gather up 16 folks (basically what it cost to pay the expenses). Below are some links to the info.

seminar overview

upcoming seminars

testimonials

Do you have some backcountry airports to land at? If so, where?

A few things I have found useful. Some backcountry airports have a hill between the downwind and final so the airport disappears as you turn base or so. The tendency is to stop coming down and you end up being high and long. Plan on doing a go around. This is why I avoid airports with no go arounds.

Some landing strips dont have windsocks so it is best to determine your TAS from your IAS and compare it to your GPS groundspeed on final. If groundspeed exceeds TAS you have a tailwind and need to come in from the other direction. Work this out beforehand on the ground so you have it down pat in the air.

If the landing strip is short it is ESSENTIAL that you land very close to the beginning of the runway at the slowest possible speed. Dont worry if you bounce. A short landing is frequently a bounced landing. Those bounces eat up energy and make the landing shorter btw. Of course you dont want to bounce too hard and break something.

If you aren't comfortable with it, just do some go arounds and then come back later. Or leave it for another day.

Dont fly into any dead end canyons if you are very low. Survey the layout from very high so you know where everything is.

we do have a few fun private strips around the hill country. Many of our videos were filmed in the hill country of central Texas.

additionally we are out of KBDU and it looks like you might be local. hit us up some time

www.backcountryaviation.com

You post this on backcountrypilot.org too?

It looks like your place in WY is 325 nm from me, which is quite a jaunt in the J-3 but probably worth it to improve my ability to use the plane to get in and out of more challenging strips. Do you go there every spring?

It looks like your place in WY is 325 nm from me, which is quite a jaunt in the J-3 but probably worth it to improve my ability to use the plane to get in and out of more challenging strips. Do you go there every spring?

We built those this spring for a show on the discovery channel. We also built a long 4000" runway next to the lodge. And there is a 4000" public runway close to the lodge on the west side of big lake we can utilize. We haven't held a seminar there yet because our season was already booked basically when discovery approached us. So we don't really know what that will look like longterm. Much of it will depend on participant turnout. We hope to use it often...I have to pinch my self every time I go up there to camp. Shoot me an email if you want any more info. The link to the 4 backcountry strips is below.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxYXM2Qolh2B9AA4H8mJwxP8BdG5r8m4m

Promano@theraf.org

Back