STOL suggestion

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
I have a friend who has a farm with a short (~900' , tall trees one end) grass strip. He used to fly ultralights, but now is thinking about a real plane. I suggested a Super Cub, but he is a little scared of taildraggers (but I suspect he might change his mind). Suggestions?

I think he needs to learn to fly a tailwheel so his options are more open.

Either that or clear cut some trees and buy a Cessna. He'd come out cheaper then a Super Cub.

I have a friend who has a farm with a short (~900' , tall trees one end) grass strip. He used to fly ultralights, but now is thinking about a real plane. I suggested a Super Cub, but he is a little scared of taildraggers (but I suspect he might change his mind). Suggestions?

Any idea of the price of a Supercub?

A 150hp Citabria would handle it if loaded right.

I have a Stinson 108 Voyager for sale that could do it as well (not a max gross).

Ether way, if he's worried about a taildragger, after flying ultralights? :rofl:

What's the elevation at his farm? My suggestion would be a Carbon Cub, and they're pretty docile as taildraggers. If he absolutely, positively has to have a nosewheel, there were a handful of Helio Couriers built with tri-gear.

Well if we are getting expensive like that.

PA18-180 (real cub)
A185F
Pilatus Porter
Helio
EC135T

Or...just a lightly loaded 150hp Citabria or Stinson, if you're down with ugly experimentals planes a Zenith 701 type would work too

Last edited:
Any idea of the price of a Supercub?

A 150hp Citabria would handle it if loaded right.

I have a Stinson 108 Voyager for sale that could do it as well (not a max gross).

Ether way, if he's worried about a taildragger, after flying ultralights? :rofl:

Hmmm, what would you estimate the TOD of a 150 Citabria on grass at GW and 2000' DA??

Hmmm, what would you estimate the TOD of a 150 Citabria on grass at GW and 2000' DA??

You should re-read what I wrote.

At gross it could still be done, proper conditions, depending on the tree height, headwind and a GOOD pilot.

I will remind you I said lightly loaded.

A Navion will get off in 850 and over a 50' obstacle in 1100. I suspect mine with its 300HP does better.

Katmai 182.

What's the elevation at his farm? My suggestion would be a Carbon Cub, and they're pretty docile as taildraggers. If he absolutely, positively has to have a nosewheel, there were a handful of Helio Couriers built with tri-gear.

It's about 500'. The Carbon Cub would be absolutely perfect, but ...... He's got the money if I could just get him to let go of it :mad2: .

We're both old farts, but when I realized I wasn't going to live forever, I broke down and bought a new DA20 :goofy::goofy::wink2::yes::D. Best decision I ever made!!

What engine is normally used in the 701?

Zenith indicates no preference, and a lot of different engines have been installed, though I would guess the 100 HP Rotax 912S is probably common. The CH-750 STOL (not the newer Cruzer) is the other option from Zenith.

My very humble opinion is that an experimental, but proven, STOL design like the 701 or 750 should be seriously considered for someone like your friend. As soon as he starts to consider keeping it hangared at his place then he'll probably find it a great convenience to be able to do his own maintenance on it.

How many seats are required.

Just Aircraft Highlander is popular.

Even my little ride (Merlin GT) would work if you keep the weight within limits and wouldn't cost much more than the typical ultralight.

As could my A185F, but it comes down to what this guy wants to spend.

J-3 or a champ, with 85-90 HP. Guy was an ultralight pilot he probably doesn't want all that modern airplane crap and expense.

If money is no object, then for half a million he can get a King Katmai that Henning already suggested.

A step down from Katmai is a trike Maule with a 235 hp engine. Could be a good compromise for some $250k.

But Zenith 750 is probably the best choice for most people. The 701 is cool and everything, but it really is a very small airplane with a limited payload. A 750 with a bigger ULpower would work best, I think. You can get a good one for $80k.

But Zenith 750 is probably the best choice for most people. The 701 is cool and everything, but it really is a very small airplane with a limited payload. A 750 with a bigger ULpower would work best, I think. You can get a good one for $80k.

He can get a nicely equipped CH-750 for $49,900. And not just any CH-750 but one (I think!) that appears to have won an informal STOL contest at this year's Zenith Open Hangar Days. The OP can find the ad on Barnstormers:

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?mode=usersearch&user=152451

Video of the contest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnJD05rYtic

Thanks, everyone. Plenty of info to pass on to him. You can lead a horse to water, but ..............:wink2:

Any reason why your friend can't find someplace on his farm for a longer runway and without tall trees on one end?

A nice rans courier would be around 55-60 grand ( later model) it would do nicely or for a lot more money a 180 super cub.

An RV-9 has a ground roll of 500', take off is 300' , climb out is 1,000' - 1,500' at gross weight. Cruise speed is 165 - 180mph. :dunno:

Last edited:
An RV-9 has a ground roll of 500', take off is 300' at gross weight, climb out is 1,000' - 1,500'. Cruise speed is 165 - 180mph. :dunno:

:rolleyes:

An RV-9 has a ground roll of 500', take off is 300' , climb out is 1,000' - 1,500' at gross weight. Cruise speed is 165 - 180mph. :dunno:

:rolleyes:

Really?

So full gross, that's like you, a quasi fat chick, and a couple gallons of gas.

RVs are sweet but they ain't STOL aircraft.

STOL experimental that's going to be a 701 or something of that ilk.

There was also another outfit that made a knock of storch, Thad probably do it.

I can't believe I didn't mention it, used to live by the factory too.

Just get a Maule.

Done

Last edited:
900 feet with tall trees at the end and he's "scared" of taildraggers?

How about planting Alfalfa? It would be a lot less scary.

A nice rans courier would be around 55-60 grand ( later model) it would do nicely or for a lot more money a 180 super cub.
RANS S-7 is one of my favourites too, but two things:
1) he said no taildraggers
2) S-7 is a 100 hp design (like Highlander) and we don't know how high is that 900' strip with trees is

Oh and BTW

Think he should buy a 'Bo? No?
:wink2:

Certified: Helio Courier or Katmai or Maule tri gear

EXP: RV or CompAir or Zenith

helio_courier.jpg

1136976876.jpg

clearshangar.jpg

I just recently flew my Flight Design CTSW off a 900' pasture with wires on the departure end with no problem. Was solo and half fuel. Have rotated at 600' on grass at gross, as well.
I'd say Zenith 750, Rans S-7 Courier, or Just (several model). Zenith is tricycle but can be built as tail wheel if preferred. (I asked the son of the designer at Oshkosh.)

Don't rely on advice from the testosterone infused "test pilots" on the blue board?? :D

Suggestions would be for him to base the airplane as a normal airport first, and when he feels comfortable then consider the home grass strip. It's one thing flying the numbers on a calm or steady wind day but quite another if it's gusting and/or a significant cross wind.

Back