still learning

grashopper

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
grashopper
started to fly solo, i like the hobby i fly nitro planes, still fly the hoobbic hobistar, this season going to start to fly low wing, like the phoenix dolphin and 60 size escapade, question is how do you start pushing the envelope and start learning basic aerobatic maneuvers without crashing, or is that inevitable and part of the hobby lol, i don't wish to give up fly ing yet, but i'm also not a teen ager and am older and started when i was older, but can't do anything abot that now, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about actual airplanes or RC craft? While you will find some people on here who do RC, I don't know if you'll get the answers you're looking for here since the majority of the forum is comprised of general aviation pilots. You may want to try a forum such as this one. If on the off chance you're talking about real planes, then you certainly don't want to be flying aerobatics on your own until you're experienced!!! Feel free to stick around though!

Pretty sure everything he names there is RC. Unless he is mistaken about what this board is about, this post would go better in the general Hanger Talk. IMO.

But this reminds me of a story. The fellow that owns the Luscombe took me to one of the local RC club picnics. I struck up a conversation with a fellow that also flies UL and asked him what do RC folks call the kind of airplanes that I fly. I knew they would take umbrage if I said "real airplanes". He answered that in general, they don't want to hear it, but if they do refer to them, they say "full-scale airplanes". LOL.

Last edited:
Pretty sure everything he names there is RC. Unless he is mistaken about what this board is about, this post would go better in the general Hanger Talk. IMO.

But this reminds me of a story. The fellow that owns the Luscombe took me to one of the local RC club picnics. I struck up a conversation with a fellow that also flies UL and asked him what do RC folks call the kind of airplanes that I fly. I knew they would take umbrage if I said "real airplanes". He answered that in general, they don't want to hear it, but if they do refer to them, they say "full-scale airplanes". LOL.

Yeah, but you can have full scale RC airplanes. :dunno:
618-lm2.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, those are all R/C

Grasshopper - pick something like an electric Formosa. Foam is your friend, as you WILL be doing repairs learning aerobatics :)

If you're not comfortable getting altitude and just doing it, try a simulator. It will pay for itself quickly in avoided crashes, especially if you go rotary wing.

Back