Sticky headset

Tom-Flying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Hi,

I have a Lightspeed Zulu that is a bit old but in great condition. The one thing that is annoying is the plastic that surrounds the adjustable connector has gotten very tacky or sticky. I tried using a general purpose cleaner but it didn’t really work.

Before I try anything else I thought I’d check and see if anyone else has seen this and what they used to clean it. Maybe mineral oil?

TIA!

I can vouch for rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. Just be patient and it'll all come off.

Thanks guys. I’ll give it a shot and see how it comes out.

Rubbing alcohol will clean it up. Or if it's a Zulu 2, Lightspeed will make it like new for $100.

Rubbing alcohol will clean it up. Or if it's a Zulu 2, Lightspeed will make it like new for $100.
Alas it is an original Zulu. But the good news is rubbing alcohol did the trick. Just took some patience and a clean rag.

What about painting it with that liquid rubber stuff? Plastidip

Plastidip may work after cleaning off the old "melting" rubber, but the problem is that the rubber coating on the controller box has become very soft and sticky, so I doubt plastidip would do well on that surface.

Back