Stick and Rudder

LoLPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoLPilot
I've just started Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langenwiesche. So far I'm enjoying it thanks to the nuts and bolts approach he takes to the practical physics of what's going on. Anybody else here read it?

In the old days it was recommended reading for student pilots,never gets old.

I'm sure there's probably a few old threads about it. Seems to come up once a year or so.

I take it the can 'o worms I just popped the top on is rather large?

Yeah, look at it this way- there’s no reason not to read it, and it won’t kill you any faster if you do. You’ll either like it or not. For me it gave a different perspective of glide range and pitch+power=performance. Easy read? Not necessarily. Best book? I dunno. It was fine. I liked it. Enjoy and learn.

I've just started Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langenwiesche. So far I'm enjoying it thanks to the nuts and bolts approach he takes to the practical physics of what's going on. Anybody else here read it?

It is a classic. After many decades of instructing I still refer to it on occasion.

Bob

Read it 50+ years ago. As I remember the plot is OK but the dialog is a bit dry and no character development. But then, reading it seems to be character building.

First aviation book I read. Thought it was great!

I read it a long time ago. Every time he mentioned "flippers" I thought of a TV show set on the Florida coast.

Back