"Stick and Rudder" Bad Typo

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Check it out if you have a copy. Hard to imagine that it has gone unnoticed for however long this version has been in print.
From the back fold about the author. See if you can spot it.

Attachments

• IMG_20131224_155854_328.jpg
    IMG_20131224_155854_328.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 231
:yikes: It's fixed in my copy. Funny!

Orville and Wilbur were WAY behind the power curve if that date is correct!

He is... the most interesting pilot in the world!

Hmm, my copy must be too new. Mine is of the third printing of the edition copyright 1944, renewed 1972. The biography note on the back fold of the dust jacket says he soloed in 1934. When I bought my hardcover copy, the price was $16.95. Has it gone up since then?

It must be time to read it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Scott

Hmm, my copy must be too new. Mine is of the third printing of the edition copyright 1944, renewed 1972. The biography note on the back fold of the dust jacket says he soloed in 1934. When I bought my hardcover copy, the price was $16.95. Has it gone up since then?
Mine also says the copyright was renewed in 1972 but doesn't say when he soloed. Oh, and it cost $9.95 for a hardcover edition.

I just got mine a few months ago, so it must be the newest edition. Hard to believe they would change it from a 9 to an 8 though.

Unfortunately I have the 'fixed' version with the 1934 date. 1834 is a classic, lol

Mine says $22.95 on the inside flap, although I know I paid much less than that roughly seven or eight years ago.

Side note: I was just reading some of it.
What's a ...'rudderless, safety airplane' ? :dunno:

Last edited:
It's on the book cover. Did your copy come with a cover?
Yes...

It doesn't say so much about him personally, only that he was a former test pilot for Cessna Aircraft Company and the Vought Division of United Aircraft

I have a copy of the "coffee table book" associated with "The Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Guggenheim.

In it, in the description on the BMW R90S, it informs that it was the first motorcycle with "an electric cock".

Probably makes it a collector's item...

...and the book, too!

Oh, and did I ever mention that Google is amazing?

4813856898_d05766b564.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have the 'fixed' version with the 1934 date. 1834 is a classic, lol

Mine says $22.95 on the inside flap, although I know I paid much less than that roughly seven or eight years ago.

Side note: I was just reading some of it.
What's a ...'rudderless, safety airplane' ? :dunno:

Ercoupe. My impression was he thought that design would become the norm. Awesome humans putting ego and habit before safety.

Ercoupe. My impression was he thought that design would become the norm. Awesome humans putting ego and habit before safety.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the Ercoupe but according to this, he must have meant to say...
"rudder-pedal-less" NOT "rudderless". Unless he was speaking of some other plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERCO_Ercoupe

"Lacking rudder pedals, the Ercoupe was flown using only the control wheel. A two-control system linked the rudder and aileron systems, which controlled yaw and roll, with the steerable nose wheel. The control wheel controlled the pitch and the steering of the aircraft, both on the ground and in the air, simplifying control and coordinated turning and eliminating the need for rudder pedals"

STICK AND RUDDER
Page#318

"It may be well to take up briefly the technique of cross-wind landings, both on conventional airplanes and on the new rudderless tricycle-geared safety airplanes"

Last edited:
You mean all airplanes should have connected ailerons and rudders? Having an independent rudder is part of the fun of flying and allows us to do more with our crafts, and having trainers with rudders makes us safer when we go on to fly bigger, higher performance craft with rudders. Kind of like nowadays they could program your 172 to fly places without you touching the controls, but would you really want that? I see the Ercoupes as neat but boring designs.

You mean all airplanes should have connected ailerons and rudders? Having an independent rudder is part of the fun of flying and allows us to do more with our crafts, and having trainers with rudders makes us safer when we go on to fly bigger, higher performance craft with rudders. Kind of like nowadays they could program your 172 to fly places without you touching the controls, but would you really want that? I see the Ercoupes as neat but boring designs.

Wait you just admitted flying is fun because it is dangerous. I agree. Shhhhh we aren't supposed to admit it. Although I could dig an Ercoupe type plane I'd bring some couch cushions and fly it sitting reclined sideways.:D

It was a struggle reading 'Stick and Rudder' without wanting to skip through some parts that were dry and repetitious.

I have a copy of the "coffee table book" associated with "The Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Guggenheim.

In it, in the description on the BMW R90S, it informs that it was the first motorcycle with "an electric cock".

Probably makes it a collector's item...

...and the book, too!

Oh, and did I ever mention that Google is amazing?

4813856898_d05766b564.jpg

Sounds like a full service ride for the ladies.

Wait you just admitted flying is fun because it is dangerous. I agree. Shhhhh we aren't supposed to admit it. Although I could dig an Ercoupe type plane I'd bring some couch cushions and fly it sitting reclined sideways.:D

To me flying is fun because it's FUN. Danger is just a byproduct and something I've come to accept, which is why I do everything in my power to midigate the risk.

Kas Thomas, in Fly The Engine (2nd Ed.) is recommending some strange things. He does this repeatedly, I think this excerpt is the first mention... can you spot it?

Attachments

• FlyTheEngine.JPG
    FlyTheEngine.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 16
Back