Steve made me feel good!

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
I got to take a friend from the Purple board for a flight on April the 9th 2010. Steve is a young fellow that I have met that I had mentored on the other board when he was learning to fly. He gave a nice write up of our flight this Sat. Not a long flight a couple of takeoffs and landings. He made me feel good with the write up he made of our flight. I added it to my ramblings thread, but some of you might not keep up on that one. So I am posting it here for you.

Got to fly twice in one weekend
After the string of weather here, it was a big deal for me!

Saturday, Bob Bement called and asked if I'd like to go flying. I'd love to, of course!

I'd have a little while before I could go, so Bob offered to fly out and pick me up at Aeroacres (OG30), which is closer to my home.

When I arrived at what I thought was Aeroacres, I realized I was at Fairways (OG20), and had no idea where Aeroacres was. Fortunately my wife is a master at internet searches, and quickly had directions for me.

Also fortunate was that Bob had beat me to Aeroacres, because had I not seen his 182 sitting in the grass, I would have driven right past thinking it was just another open field surrounding Oregon City.

We were soon taxiing to the upper end of the field for run-up, and a soft field takeoff. Soft field at Aeroacres means once in ground effect, pointing the nose at the house at the end of the field while gaining airspeed. Exciting I'm sure for someone looking out the front window of that house.

It was a beautiful day, though gusty winds made for a bumpy ride.

We headed for for a stop at Twin Oaks (7S3), where Bob made one of the nicest gusty crosswind landings I've been along on. (HIO, 7nm north, reported winds east at 16 gusting to 29).

We stopped in the office to chat with whoever was there, and headed off for the return to Aeroacres.

Below is a photo of Aeroacres as we circled to check the windsock.

Bob can sure work the rudder, and make a crosswind short/soft field landing look as easy as walking across the room.

A short trip, but a great time spent with someone who has been a mentor through my hours as a student and low time pilot.

All of my GA experience has been intro flights, lessons, or as PIC, so this was also my first time in the right seat. Cool.

Below is also a photo of Bob starting his 182 for the trip back to Lenhardt (7S9).

Sunday, I flew my wife and daughter down to Independence (7S5) for breakfast.

My favorite 172 was back on the line after being down for maintenance for a while, so I was excited.

We departed Twin Oaks with scattered clouds at 1500, and high overcast, but little wind.

As we headed south, we climbed above the scattered clouds, which became broken, until finding a large clear area to descend about 15nm north of Independence. From there it was 1000 agl to remain well below broken overcast.

After a good breakfast we headed northeast to follow the Willamette River, and overfly some tulip fields (very colorful). Again, we had to stay lower than I normally fly the valley due to some clouds, but the view was sure nice, and cleared the further north we traveled.

I've made the trip from Twin Oaks to Independence several times now, but each flight I find or experience something new, and it's always a thrill to fly in somewhere, eat, and take off again.

I love being a pilot!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Good on ya, Bob, as usual! Looking forward to actually meeting you this year!

Back