Stepdown fix not in GPS database

Unbeliever

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Unbeliever
So take this approach:

KRAL VOR or GPS-B

My instructor brought this up as an oddity in the fact that Jepp and NACO list the final stepdown fix (ARCLY) differently. In NACO, the minimums strip lists a lower minimum under the "Dual VOR minima". Under Jepp, it's listed under "ARCLY minima." You get an extra 700 feet The instructor brought it up as a lesson about differences between Jepp and NACO (I think) and we speculated as to why they might be different. It was also chosen as another local approach with a procedure turn that I hadn't done yet.

I chose to fly it as a GPS approach (430W), and fortunately, we were given the full procedure unprompted when were cleared for the VFR practice approach before we even got to PDZ. Even if I'm flying a GPS approach, if it's an overlay, I've been trying to make a habit of setting up and identifying the underlying VORs just in case. I'm glad I did that this time because I think we figured out why Jepp is different from NACO on this one.

This is my (hopefully) second or third to last lesson before the checkride, so my instructor has been keeping his mouth shut and sitting on his hands and letting me screw up, if needed. So I do the HILOPT, and turn inbound and as soon as I pass MIRAM, I got thrown for a loop. On the GPS navigator, ARCLY doesn't show up. It's just a segment from MIRAM to RAL.

So my thought process was interesting. "No ARCLY! How can I identify ARCLY?" I say out loud "Hmm, 2 miles in the plan view from RAL to ARCLY, watch for 2 miles." Then I think, "No, the 2 isn't in a D, I can't use it." think, think, think.. tick tock. Then I realize and say out loud "Dual VOR minima!" There's a reason why I back up the GPS with VORs. By force of habit, I had already "twisted" the NAV tuned to PDZ to 074 when I crossed MIRAM.

This was mainly a self-debrief story, and an example to use everything at your disposal. But two questions.

1) Why isn't ARCLY in the GPS database? It's a clear stepdown in the procedure. Is that why Jepp lists ARCLY differently?

2) We're allowed to twist/flip/twist to identify an intersection normally, why not on this approach? We have 80 seconds at 90 knots to the VOR from ARCLY.

Oh, hmmm..... I just thought of a third question for all of us nit-picky types. It would make a great oral exam question.

3) I wound up flying this as a combination GPS/VOR approach. Since we're not allowed to add our own waypoints for approach mode on GPS approaches, and I used the VOR to identify ARCLY, did I bust minimums by flying a GPS approach and descending below 2340 to 1660? Should I have switched to VOR/VOR and not GPS/VOR as I wound up flying it?

I forgot to ask my instructor if he knew this would happen, and if it was a deliberate lesson.

--Carlos V.

As stated on the other board, even though ARCLY is not in the database, you can step down from 2340 to 1660 when you see 2.0 to go to RALma. AIM 1-1-19 refers.

EDIT after Ron's answer.

Specifically 1-1-19-n-13 talks about both unnamed AND named stepdown fixes in the final approach segment, and that you can use ATD (along track distance) to identify them. Newer avionics now support waypoints between the FAF and MAP, so you may eventually see ARCLY added to the database if the unit would support it.

Last edited:
Newer avionics now support waypoints between the FAF and MAP, so you may eventually see ARCLY added to the database if the unit would support it.

FYI, I just loaded this approach on the latest Garmin G1000 trainer software; ARCLY is shown on the MFD, but isn't in the list of approach waypoints. You'd be able to visually identify it's passage, but you're not going to see it listed as an intermediate waypoint.

Hmm - so in the G1000, the fix is coded into the procedure somehow (since it shows on the MFD), but it's not in the list of waypoints. This makes sense since the lateral PATH to be flown is between the FAF and the MAP, not strictly from the FAF to ARCLY to the MAP.

I'd have to look at the ARINC documents, but there should be a definition of how the approach is coded so that the path is from point A to point B with point C along the way, but point C is not a fix used for lateral navigation.

Aren't the GPS databases written by Jep? I'm not familiar with other subscriptions since I haven't really dealt with that area other than insuring the existing installation is current.

If Garmin puts out subscriptions, is their source based directly on NACO or Jep?

Jepp does provide the nav data for most if not all GA GPS units, but I don't think they're the only source for ALL GPS units.

But I'm not sure if they do the acutal coding of the procedure to ARINC standards, or if that get done elsewhere and Jepp just publishes/translates those to the various GPS database formats.

Kinda like how the procedures themselves are designed according to TERPS, and then published by Jepp and NACO.

The 430W can do waypoints between FAF and MAP. I flew one Monday (KPOC VOR or GPS-A) that has a 1 DME unnamed stepdown fix for an extra 160 feet.

--Carlos V.

Hmm - so in the G1000, the fix is coded into the procedure somehow (since it shows on the MFD), but it's not in the list of waypoints. This makes sense since the lateral PATH to be flown is between the FAF and the MAP, not strictly from the FAF to ARCLY to the MAP.

I'd have to look at the ARINC documents, but there should be a definition of how the approach is coded so that the path is from point A to point B with point C along the way, but point C is not a fix used for lateral navigation.

It's definitely not coded into the procedure; the course-line between the FAF and MAP goes OVER the ARCLY intersection. I can see ARCLY is there, just as I can see other waypoints, VORs, airports, highways, etc. It's definitely NOT in the list of approach waypoints. See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• KRAL-G1000.jpg
    KRAL-G1000.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 20
I misunderstood you when you said ARCLY showed up on the MFD - I thought you meant that it popped up on the map page when you loaded the approach, even though it wasn't in the waypoint list.

It looks like this approach hasn't yet had the stepdown fix coded yet - any idea how recent the procedure is? It may have been changed and not coded yet.

Unnamed fixes are coded - see the THV RNAV 35 (30THR is added in the waypoint list) and KPOC approach above. I'll look to see if I find any coded approaches with named fixes between the FAF and MAP.

Some results.

1) Dr. Bruce put in a call to Jepp, and they're going to add ARCLY to the procedure. The address he used is navdatatechsupport@jeppesen.com.

2) I could have used the mileage in the profile view to identify ARCLY without using the second VOR.

3) Why Dual VOR is required is in Part 97/TERPS, due to the distance remaining. Twist-flip-twist isn't allowed, but the copy of the TERPS I found at the FAA website is missing that chapter, so I don't have a solid reference yet.

--Carlos V.

Back