Step 1 to instrument rating done...passed IFR written passed today!

GBSoren

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GBSoren
Big relief to get that behind me. Had been taking a ton of practice test, scoring on average in the low-mid 80's, best score 95, poor scores in the low 70's. Was nervous but decided to give it a shot, scored an 87, I'm very happy with that!

Yay! I got an 87 on mine too. Keep with it, the oral will build upon the written, but will be more "real world" situations.

congrats! I just recently finished mine, and was surprised by my score (to the upside). BUT, it was only because I wasn't given the questions I know I wouldn't have gotten correct... (all those calculations on the cross country questions for one point? Naaaa.)

You probably would have scored even higher with just a different set of questions. There's more than a little randomness in a test score, because the questions you get are different than what I got.

congrats! I just recently finished mine, and was surprised by my score (to the upside). BUT, it was only because I wasn't given the questions I know I wouldn't have gotten correct... (all those calculations on the cross country questions for one point? Naaaa.)

You probably would have scored even higher with just a different set of questions. There's more than a little randomness in a test score, because the questions you get are different than what I got.

I only had 1 question on total time of trip, and to be honest the copy of the sectional that they provide was so poor, so grainy you couldn't even ready the miles. I did the best I could but what I came up with wasn't one of the 3 options, so I picked the one that was the closest.

Honestly, why do they use such poor quality sectionals? They look like they were faxed to them in the 80's! Now days, with scanners, they should be able to provide a picture perfect sectional!

But, overall I was very happy with my score! I only had about 10 questions that I can say were pretty much identical to questions I had in the practice exams. Then I'd say another 20 that were just worded different, but pretty close to what I've seen. The rest, roughly half, were brand new to me. 0 questions on "where's the plane in relation to the VOR".

There was one I felt was wrong. Winds/temp aloft over ALB FL30, text had it as "7818xx" (don't remember temp, not important 'cause question was direction and speed). Answers were A. 250 magnetic and 97 knots B. 260 true and 110 knots C. 280 true at 97 knots. Question was what direction and speed can you expect for winds over ALB at FL30?

YES!!!

I know exactly which one you're talking about. The decoded direction matches one of the answers, but the speed is like 97 instead of 118. I picked C, and it didn't show up as "incorrect", so...

IIRC, the question said which one is "approximately" correct. Still, it's a stupid question.

YES!!!

I know exactly which one you're talking about. The decoded direction matches one of the answers, but the speed is like 97 instead of 118. I picked C, and it didn't show up as "incorrect", so...

IIRC, the question said which one is "approximately" correct. Still, it's a stupid question.

I picked C too, and it didn't show as incorrect. But I agree it's dumb to have a question like that and they don't have the correct answer, if I'm decoding it without multiple choice options they wouldn't want me to be "approximately" correct would they?!

Back