Stemme S10-V Question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Browsing for sale ads, I came across this aircraft: 1995 Stemme S10-V. It appears to be a training aircraft for the USAF Academy.

The configuration has me calling it a motor glider.

Since it has retractable gear, does that mean that the pilot would require the "complex gear" endorsement?

Anyone here ever operate one? Looks interesting.

As I recall it does not have a controllable pitch propeller so it does not qualify as complex.

2nd here is the definition of complex....
Complex airplane means an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller,....

So it also has to be an Airplane to be complex, Glider doesn't count.

Now that being said practically speaking the Stemme S10-V is a very complex airplane having a similar workload to a light twin, But it doesn't meet the legal definition of a complex airplane.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

MIke,

Don't worry about the paper work, just buy it. I think you'll need a glider rating plus a powered glider endorsement (but no medical certificate). You can get those in a couple days if you don't already have them. Everyone will envy you and we will enjoy your posts here telling us of your amazing experiences in that magnificent machine.

Scott

Scott... no interest in this aircraft... already part owner in 2 others and happy with that situation (C182 and Bo V35).

This was the first time I had ever seen the S10-V and was curious.

Looking on net for additional info on this aircraft found this image....

Attachments

• 1041849.jpg
    1041849.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 37
Looking on net for additional info on this aircraft found this image....

A seriously modified Stemme. The Stemme was standard glider wings and tips.

You do need a glider certificate to fly the Stemme, with "self launch" endorsement. Maybe a couple of days for the self launch endorsement, but the glider rating will take most of a week, flying all day every day, for a pilot with an airplane rating. There are commercial "add-on" schools that do that.

Love the V-10! Just curious Brian - why do you say the workload of a light twin?

As a glider pilot, and powered pilot, I would disagree that it's just a week to get a glider rating. It seriously depends on the weather. As for the stemme: that's about the most complex motorglider out there. There are less-expensive options. Although, as seems to often be the case with planes that cost more than they should, this stemme has no price listed. It's a pet peeve of mine: if you are going to advertise on the web, put out a price. Everyone already knows that used stemme planes will still sell for $100K and up. Although, the out-of -date panel in this one may mean that it would go for lower than that.

As a glider pilot, and powered pilot, I would disagree that it's just a week to get a glider rating. It seriously depends on the weather. As for the stemme: that's about the most complex motorglider out there. There are less-expensive options. Although, as seems to often be the case with planes that cost more than they should, this stemme has no price listed. It's a pet peeve of mine: if you are going to advertise on the web, put out a price. Everyone already knows that used stemme planes will still sell for $100K and up. Although, the out-of -date panel in this one may mean that it would go for lower than that.

I agree with your evaluation on how much it takes to get the glider add on rating. I only state that there are operations that will teach the PTS to get you through in a week and not every pilot can do that, especially if they arrive unprepared.

I do not agree with one week ratings. The experience is much too limited in one week to become a soaring pilot.

The Stemme is a handful, not only in the cockpit, but with the long wings and 50/1 Ld for landing.

don't these stemmes cruise pretty quick under power? Like 140 or 150 kts?

Back