steep turns- 2 questions

Beware of drag exceeding thrust in such a turn in a light plane. Fighter pilots are familiar with Ps diagrams providing data on excess power in various turning states, but light plane manuals don't have such information. Put this in a similar category to the "impossible turn" as something you don't want to be trying for the first time when the need occurs. Try it at a good safe altitude (like one from which you'd intentionally enter a spin) before considering it a usable tool to put in your aviation toolbox.

Well, I'd keep it to 60 degrees anyway. 60 degrees and 2 G's results in a turn radius of 333 feet at the optimum airspeed for the 182, whereas 74 degrees and 3.8 G's only reduces that to 300 feet. Doing a canyon turn (as I was taught how, anyway) would probably take a chunk out of that extra 333 feet anyway (adding flaps reduces stall speed, thus allowing a slower 60-degree banked turn with a smaller radius). Plus, I've done those before. :yes:

S-turns, I can somewhat agree, though I don't think they should be commercial maneuvers either (the comm ground-reference maneuvers are harder) - They're basically useless.

Turns around a point are a good way of demonstrating the effect of groundspeed on turn radius. I can see them not being part of the checkride, but they should be at least demonstrated and tried a few times (which is usually all it takes to master them anyway.) Unfortunately, as we know, there are enough bad CFI's out there that anything that's not on the PTS isn't going to be taught to everyone. :frown2:

Steep turns, I vehemently disagree. Rolling in and out of a steep turn is about the only thing you really need rudder for in the private PTS, it demonstrates things like load factor and the fact that you can bank that much without stalling (think base-to-final spin, people are scared to bank!) plus it's about the only maneuver on the private PTS that requires you to demonstrate mastery about all axes of flight simultaneously. It's also a VERY useful maneuver. Why on earth would you not want private pilots to know how to do steep turns? :dunno:

I guess the question is....

Who really cares if a turn at normal speed, no where near stall speed, is coordinated? Its smoother, yes, but does it affect safety or operation of the aircraft? No.

Slow flight teaches to use the rudders properly. That's good enough.

My reasoning for all of this? Its too hard to get a pilot certificate these days. Easier private pilot certificate means more pilots. Safety won't be affected, because these aren't safety issues.

My reasoning for all of this? Its too hard to get a pilot certificate these days. Easier private pilot certificate means more pilots. Safety won't be affected, because these aren't safety issues.

I see way too many PPLs that haven't had enough training. As far as I'm concerned, it should be hard to get the license. There are so many things that can kill one just because of ignorance, and dumbing down the syllabus isn't going to fix anything. We already have high-school graduates who can't read, can't do basic arithmetic, can't even make change at the till without the machine telling them what to do. We don't need PPLs who can't fly.

Many years ago (1920s) a person could get a license in 10 or 15 hours. The pilots in WWI went into combat with less than that, even. The airplanes were hard to fly and killed huge numbers of those guys, even excluding the risks of being shot down or suffering the common engine failure. Airplanes were still harder to fly up into the '40s, and the fatality rate was so bad that regulators had to raise the bar for pilot candidates. Then Cessna and Piper and others built airplanes that practically flew themselves and the rates improved some. Now we have slicker, faster, trickier airplanes coming onto the market again, and we're flying those in busy airspace around airliners full of people. I sure don't want to be flying in anything anywhere near a 30-hour PPL.

Dan

Who really cares if a turn at normal speed, no where near stall speed, is coordinated? Its smoother, yes, but does it affect safety or operation of the aircraft? No.

It makes your passengers hurl. :vomit:

Slow flight teaches you to use the rudder *to counteract P-factor* properly. That's NOT good enough. You need to use the rudder also *to counteract adverse yaw*.

The steep turn really teaches a lot of good things. IMHO, it's one of the most important pieces of airwork in the private PTS.

My reasoning for all of this? Its too hard to get a pilot certificate these days.

No, it's not. It's too *expensive* to get a pilot certificate these days. These are VERY different things. Yes, more pilots would make it cheaper - But not if those pilots didn't know what the hell they were doing and kept crashing airplanes and suing manufacturers. :no:

IMHO, the Private PTS provides a great balance of difficulty and utility. If you want an easier way to become a pilot, then you should look into the Sport Pilot certificate.

Easier private pilot certificate means more pilots.

No, it means less-prepared pilots.

IMHO, anyone of reasonable intelligence (IE anyone you'd actually want to share the air with) is quite capable of getting their Private Pilot certificate. The problem is that it's too hard to come up with the money, NOT that it's just "too hard."

I guess the question is....

It really depends on the airplane. Some airplanes (Bonanzas with interconnected aileron-rudder connects) and Cherokees can be flown feet on the floor with no perceivable hazard.

Cessnas tend to need a bit more rudder, but a flat footed pilot will rarely come to grief in the normal flight envelope.

Most tailwheel airplanes require rudder. If you don't learn how and when to use rudder, you won't be able to takeoff or land without great expense.

Uncoordinated flight is uncomfortable -- perhaps not so much for the pilot, but more-so for those further away from the center of the yaw axis -- to the point of downright sick.

Where use of rudder becomes critical are those edge-of-the-enevlope moments that we prepare too little for -- the canyon, the steep turn away from a tower, the overshot turn to final.

So yes, requiring that a private pilot candidate -- who may never be under any sort of scrutiny ever again -- demonstrate use of the rudder in any airplane makes alot of sense.

My reasoning for all of this? Its too hard to get a pilot certificate these days.
I never thought of steep turns as being particularly hard, even at the private pilot level. Truthfully I remember them as being easier and more fun than any of the ground reference maneuvers. They are also useful in getting a feel for a new airplane, and even if you disagree you'd better get used to them because they are something you will probably see on every checkride you take...

Since we're so far off the original topic, I'll throw in my 2¢.

Steep turns, turns around a point and S-Turns belong in the commercial pilot PTS, not in the Private Pilot PTS.
From my perspective, the ground reference maneuvers are very good stepping stones in the pre-solo stage of the syllabus.

Once the student has basic control of the airplane, the GR maneuvers add to the workload the important tasks we need in the traffic pattern: diversion of attention, altitude and ground path control all the while being aware of traffic.

I've never questioned the need for steep turns. They expand the pilot's envelope, like slow flight, they make it more comfortable to fly in the normal part.

I agree it is too expensive to learn to fly. I don't think it takes too much time to get a PPC.

Joe

Chandelles and Lazy 8s also teach aircraft mastery....

Why aren't they on the Private Pilot PTS?

I think your answer will surprisingly prove my point...

Chandelles and Lazy 8s also teach aircraft mastery....

Why aren't they on the Private Pilot PTS?

I think your answer will surprisingly prove my point...

Because it's a higher level of mastery, and thus confers a higher level of privileges. They're a lot more difficult than private pilot maneuvers.

Well, I'd keep it to 60 degrees anyway. 60 degrees and 2 G's results in a turn radius of 333 feet at the optimum airspeed for the 182, whereas 74 degrees and 3.8 G's only reduces that to 300 feet.
As noted, quickest/tightest turn normally occurs at the limit g-load just above a stall, and stall speed goes up a lot between a 2-g load and a 3.8-g load -- 1.4Vs(1-g) versus 1.9Vs(1-g). If clean stall speed is 60 knots, you'd be doing 84 knots for the tightest 60-degree bank level turn, but at 74 degrees, you'd have to be doing 116 knots. Increasing the g-load decreases the turn radius, but the increased speed necessary increases radius, so in that range, the net difference is small, and you gain little by increasing bank angle beyond 60. However, unless you trade altitude for turn rate, the power required to sustain that turn goes up a lot between 2-g and 3.8-g, and I suspect a 182 (or any other light single other than an Extra 300 or the like) cannot sustain a nearly 4-g turn -- it would decelerate fairly quickly, requiring a reduction of bank angle to something with a sustainable g-load. For that reason, Kent's choice to use 60 degrees as his "dead-end canyon" target is a real good idea.

Actually, it does. It's far harder to make precise turns (especially small ones) without proper coordination. Just watch some flat-footer try to fly an ILS sometime, or try to line up on the runway in a crosswind, and you'll see what I mean.
Sadly, the accident statistics suggest otherwise -- poor basic stick-and-rudder skills seem to be a major cause of accidents.

Sadly, the accident statistics suggest otherwise -- poor basic stick-and-rudder skills seem to be a major cause of accidents.
The balance between more pilots and lower premiums from better trained pilots is rather like the L/D curve. It automatically self bottoms at what the market will take.

And the second cause seems to be poor pilot judgement. We keep trying to address that, but it's a intangible. "Scenario based training.....I believe we call it presently....is thought provoking but always ends with "I won't go...." which is too glib, 'cause the trick to judgement is to "find a SAFE way to go", with appropriate outs.

Contrast that to flying over the ponds, where there is no out (well, there is, it's just not pleasant).

Last edited:
It really depends on the airplane. Some airplanes (Bonanzas with interconnected aileron-rudder connects) and Cherokees can be flown feet on the floor with no perceivable hazard.
I disagree on both counts. Even interconnected Bonanzas require some footwork, especially for precise turns (like on an ILS) and at low speed and high power when the interconnect doesn't help position the rudder off-center as needed for proper flight even with the ailerons undeflected. And Cherokees, with their low aspect ratio wings (creating higher induced drag), need rudder, too.

Poor judgment is the leading cause by a very long margin. Sadly, many GA airplanes can be flown for years with very poor stick & rudder skills.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched in stunned amazement as the airplane's owner slews the nose over to line up with the runway on final -- something he's been doing for about 25 years.

I disagree on both counts. Even interconnected Bonanzas require some footwork, especially for precise turns (like on an ILS) and at low speed and high power when the interconnect doesn't help position the rudder off-center as needed for proper flight even with the ailerons undeflected. And Cherokees, with their low aspect ratio wings (creating higher induced drag), need rudder, too.

Yeah, to be flown properly every airplane needs rudder -- my point is a pilot can fly those airplanes for years flat footed and never suffer an ill effect.

I guess the question is...

I care if the turn is coordinated. At 120kts or 400kts, you're right that the little rudder needed to keep the ball centered doesn't really matter that much. It's not like it's going to fall out of the sky or anything in that situation without extenuating conditions that aren't overly realistic most of the time.
It does however step beyond training into the mindset of who a pilot is when no one is looking. It's more ethics and principle than anything. Do you do the right thing because you're supposed to or because it's aerodynamically the best thing to do? Or because someone is watching or only when it's needed? As a real world upshot of using the rudder every time without fail, your physical instincts will be hard wired to use the rudder even when you're not thinking about it - such as under high stress with a siezed engine and putting down in a very small field and ending up slower than you would like in a steep turn just above the trees. You don't have to worry about swapping ends because the rudder is already there keeping the plane going where you want it to.

Slow flight doesn't teach you how to use the rudders properly. It teaches you how to fly the plane properly. Rudder useage is just part of the skills needed for slow flight. BTW, 60kts isn't slow flight in a 172. Try 50ish kts sometime while doing 360 degree turns right and left. Then forget about the book numbers and the ASI. Keep slowing down until you can feel sections of the wings stalling and recovering then do the turns without dumping the nose over. The same slow flight skills learned flying that way keep you safe 30 feet over the treetops on final in a moderately steep turn to the field you have to put down in.

Harder to get a license? I thought it was getting a lot easier. 45deg as steep turns instead of 60deg banks. Shorter XC requirements (IMHO, it's not a XC unless you go far enough to be able to get lost). GPS is becoming the minimal basic navigation equipment instead of clock, compass and chart. Ect, ect. Look up the requirements for the early 80's vs today sometime. Beyond that you get into things such as higher approach speeds and airliner size patterns that are being taught nowadays.

If you mean harder as in unreasonably expensive, I am in compete agreement with you. The pricetag even if you cut the PPL requirements to 10 hours is completely insane. But to physically operate the plane, I respectfully disagree.

As for chandelles and lazy 8s, personally I'm all for them being in the Private PTS. While this is an extreme case; The runway I was flying off of as a student only had two ways out of the valley for a north departure. Straight out over the midvalley ridge which just about anyone that can do a Vx climb off the runway can do. The other was a climbing 180 degree turn right off the end of the runway that put you opposite direction 400 feet above the runway and about 75 feet above the treetops on the other side of the valley. It wasn't exactly a chandelle however it was a fairly aggressive climbing turn with a windscreen full of green the whole way around. I was doing that regularly with less than 30 hours in my logbook because it was a case of do it or crash into the terrain. IMHO, there's no reason any PPL should not be able to fly in and out of that field with 40 hours in their logbook.

Slow flight doesn't teach you how to use the rudders properly. It teaches you how to fly the plane properly. Rudder useage is just part of the skills needed for slow flight. BTW, 60kts isn't slow flight in a 172. Try 50ish kts sometime while doing 360 degree turns right and left. Then forget about the book numbers and the ASI. Keep slowing down until you can feel sections of the wings stalling and recovering then do the turns without dumping the nose over. The same slow flight skills learned flying that way keep you safe 30 feet over the treetops on final in a moderately steep turn to the field you have to put down in.

An excellent discussion about slow flight. Bravo, sir! :yesnod:

...my point is a pilot can fly those airplanes for years flat footed and never suffer an ill effect.
The fact that a person gets lucky once or even ten times s/he does something wrong doesn't mean that person will be lucky on the second or eleventh, and the fact that one person is lucky doesn't mean the next person trying the same wrong thing will be equally lucky.

The fact that a person gets lucky once or even ten times s/he does something wrong doesn't mean that person will be lucky on the second or eleventh, and the fact that one person is lucky doesn't mean the next person trying the same wrong thing will be equally lucky.

"the only purpose of the rudder is to cover up the mistakes of the designers," (Stick & Rudder)

Pilots can and do fly flat footed in airplanes where the effective use of the rudder is limited.

Is this right? No.

Do they get away with it?

Yep.

i've always thought the outside wing going faster than the inside wing argument for overbanking was BS. if that was true the effect would be greatest at SHALLOW angles of bank where the difference in radius of each wingtip is the greatest instead of steep turns where the difference in radius of each wingtip is smaller.

An old taildragger like a Cub or Champ or Citabria teaches you to use the rudder properly. You have no choice in such an airplane. Stalls and spins especially will wake your feet up big time, as will landings and takeoffs. Even an ordinary turn can get wonky without rudder input.

Dan

I never said that a pilot should not learn to use rudders. I said that other processes teach proper rudder use.

But again, who cares if a private pilot is slightly out of coordination during a normal turn at cruise speed? Is it something we should strive to avoid? Sure, for those of us that care about finesse. For the pilot that just wants to fly from A to B?

Probably not. And Sport Pilot isn't the answer because of the insane restrictions on what the certificate allows.

"the only purpose of the rudder is to cover up the mistakes of the designers," (Stick & Rudder)
Oh, bogus. The need for a rudder is a basic aerodynamic fact unless you want all planes to have yaw dampers and casterable wheels.
Pilots can and do fly flat footed in airplanes where the effective use of the rudder is limited.

Is this right? No.

Do they get away with it?

Yep.
Not "yep" -- "usually."

i've always thought the outside wing going faster than the inside wing argument for overbanking was BS. if that was true the effect would be greatest at SHALLOW angles of bank where the difference in radius of each wingtip is the greatest instead of steep turns where the difference in radius of each wingtip is smaller.
Except that there are other forces, like those associated with dihedral, that work against the overbanking tendency. Those forces are stronger than overbanking at shallow angles, but weaker at large ones.

But again, who cares if a private pilot is slightly out of coordination during a normal turn at cruise speed?
I do, as will any examiner worth his/her salt.
Is it something we should strive to avoid?
Yes -- for all of us. The Law of Exercise tells us that if we only use rudder when applying aileron at low speeds, we won't remember to use it then. Only if we make use of rudder along with application of aileron inputs a habitual/reflexive action will we do so in times of real need. Just take one of those flat-footed pilots up for a stall series to see why, and be sure your feet are near the rudder pedals at the stall break unless you want to test their spin-recovery techniques, too. BTDT -- too many times.

I do, as will any examiner worth his/her salt.
Yes -- for all of us. The Law of Exercise tells us that if we only use rudder when applying aileron at low speeds, we won't remember to use it then. Only if we make use of rudder along with application of aileron inputs a habitual/reflexive action will we do so in times of real need. Just take one of those flat-footed pilots up for a stall series to see why, and be sure your feet are near the rudder pedals at the stall break unless you want to test their spin-recovery techniques, too. BTDT -- too many times.

Agreed.

How do steep turns teach that again?

And Sport Pilot isn't the answer because of the insane restrictions on what the certificate allows.

Insane restrictions? More like "restrictions that make sense in light of the lower training requirements." Such as, no night training, no night flight.

With the FAA, It's all about who you can kill. Solo student, you can kill yourself. Sport or Recreational pilot, you can kill yourself and a friend. Private, yourself and a few friends. Commercial, you can kill paying passengers. ATP, you can kill large numbers of paying passengers.

If you mean the weight restriction, it's still the same - With an LSA, you're unlikely to be able to kill anyone on the ground unless you run directly into them with nothing (like a house or car) surrounding them.

Right, but the rate of turn is faster - And an Aero-E like yourself should be able to easily come up with an equation relating the differing wingtip speeds at differing bank angles in a level turn, right? :D

(FWIW, I'd like to see it! I'd do it myself but I'd have to find a couple of equations I don't know to start out with...)

Jeanie, if you continue with your aerobatic lessons and enter aerobatic competition, you'll have to do a competition turn, which is described here:

http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html#Competition Turn

It has to be at least 60°.

~~~~~~~~~ Will finally get to do more practice this weekend and we will likely do some competition turns along with other fun stuff :smile:
Thanks for the link!

Good discussion going on here ya'll - enjoying the thread :yesnod:

One thought I had regarding coordinating climbs and turns with rudder is that it reduces drag and saves fuel.... now, saving money that's a good reason to use rudder imputs

Right, but the rate of turn is faster - And an Aero-E like yourself should be able to easily come up with an equation relating the differing wingtip speeds at differing bank angles in a level turn, right? :D

(FWIW, I'd like to see it! I'd do it myself but I'd have to find a couple of equations I don't know to start out with...)
Or even a commercial pilot, who was at least required to have seen the "rate and radius of turn" equations for the written test, if he studied for it.

shallow bank angle = large radius. even a 50-ft wingspan doesn't make all that much difference if you're dealing with a 2500-ft radius. One wing is a MAXIMUM of 2% faster than the other.

Bring your radius down to a small multiple of wingspans, however, and you'll see a substantial percentage difference in speeds.

Or even a commercial pilot, who was at least required to have seen the "rate and radius of turn" equations for the written test, if he studied for it.

Equations? Really? I'm a commercial pilot but I sure don't remember that...

How do steep turns teach that again?
On the roll-in and roll-out -- long time with the ailerons deflected, and the ball should stay centered during entry/exit as well as in the stabilized turn. But that's not the issue to which I was responding.

Oh, bogus. The need for a rudder is a basic aerodynamic fact unless you want all planes to have yaw dampers and casterable wheels.

It's important to remember that Langeweische was actually himself quoting "Professor Koppen of M.I.T.", Otto Koppen, who designed the rudderless General Skyfarer (which also had "straight" landing gear and no damper), in addition to more conventional designs like the Ford Flivver. He also was a key player in the design team that produced the Helio Courier... which has a very ample rudder, but is also proof that Koppen had a pretty good sense of what made an airplane fly well.

He and Langeweische both saw adverse yaw as the real cause of the need for rudders, and in turns i suppose it is, but I am curious about how well something like a Skyfarer would do landing with a direct crosswind... :D

Take a P3, feet off the pedals on departure roll. You can do this if you slant the throttle quadrant grab so that the power comes up slightly earlier on the left side.....but it's work.

Hydraulic control boost is so very sweet to your feet. Just a weee bit-o pressure does the job.

He and Langeweische both saw adverse yaw as the real cause of the need for rudders, and in turns i suppose it is, but I am curious about how well something like a Skyfarer would do landing with a direct crosswind... :D
Perhaps the way Howard "Eye of the Examiner" Fried does it in Ercoupes -- roll down the window and hang an arm and shoulder out the side needing drag.

Perhaps the way Howard "Eye of the Examiner" Fried does it in Ercoupes -- roll down the window and hang an arm and shoulder out the side needing drag.

thats just silly. the ercoupe lands very nicely in a crab in crosswinds that would scare the typical nosewheel pilot.

Back