For Sale STEC55x autopilot for sale

flybill

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flybill
$500 for the autopilot. It was removed for upgrade in my plane. Does not include servos. Just autopilot. Yellow tagged.

Last edited:
Hello... I am interested in the S-Tec autopilot. Would like to get a little more info. Can you contact me via email? Thanks, Rob rswanland@usa.net

...so I have a STEC55X and just had my servos serviced, been in the plane for 7 yrs.

happy with the results, like new again.

my question is what did you do with your servos?

Do you have the altitude preselect as well?
What are you upgrading to? 3100? Avidyne?

...so I have a STEC55X and just had my servos serviced, been in the plane for 7 yrs.

happy with the results, like new again.

my question is what did you do with your servos?

they are still in the plane. I now have a DFC90 autopilot that uses the old servos that were in place.

Problem is you need an STC from STEC to install it in a certificated airframe, and I think the STC is way more than the cost of the autopilot. Someone could put it in their experimental, but I think experimental autopilots are already really cheap.

Problem is you need an STC from STEC to install it in a certificated airframe, and I think the STC is way more than the cost of the autopilot. Someone could put it in their experimental, but I think experimental autopilots are already really cheap.

No one really asked for your unsolicited opinion. If you aren’t interested in buying then go start a thread elsewhere. There are plenty of certified aircraft that utilize the STEC55x and need a cheap replacement when their unit has issues. This is a much cheaper alternative than upgrading to something new or having the old unit repaired. People do it everyday.

No one really asked for your unsolicited opinion. If you aren’t interested in buying then go start a thread elsewhere. There are plenty of certified aircraft that utilize the STEC55x and need a cheap replacement when their unit has issues. This is a much cheaper alternative than upgrading to something new or having the old unit repaired. People do it everyday.
Can you swap one STC55 for another without the STC? And screw your vitriol. Better to have a potential buyer know the down side then spend a bunch of their treasure on something they can't legally use.

Can you swap one STC55 for another without the STC? And screw your vitriol. Better to have a potential buyer know the down side then spend a bunch of their treasure on something they can't legally use.

As I understand it, the STEC autopilots are very airframe specific and aren't really interchangable without going back to the factory. Last I heard, a new STC from STEC is around $1500, plus you have to send the unit back to STEC for a checkout/refurb/new setup, which is billed at some version of time and materials. Could be $500, could be $5k. And you have to buy a new "install kit" from STEC which comes with the necessary servo brackets; cost depends on the airframe.

The 55X head unit may be most useful as a backup to someone with the exact same airframe (which the seller hasn't noted).

Back