STEC or Century Autopilot

lvs2fly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lvs2fly
I have a cessna 206 that needs a new autopilot...I'm looking at either an STEC or Century and would like to hear from this community on your thoughts on which autopilot you would recommend and why. Also, what model autopilot. Looking forward to reading your post. Thanks!!

So much depends upon your preferences.

I have an S-Tec 30, which (along with its cousins, the 20, 40 and 50) is a rate-based autopilot which can operate entirely autonomously, save and except it requires electricity. Hence, it is a nice back-up to your attitude indicator.

The S-Tec 60-2 and 55X are also rate-based, but require a heading / course deviation input to operate.

Rate-based units are great, but they are less stable in really rough air.
The Century units are attitude-based; I have flown behind the Century 2000, and it is (if properly dialed-in) amazingly good, flew a coupled ILS like it was channeling Ernie Gann.

Note also, that Avidyne is working on getting their DFC90 certificated in various airframes - may be a while, though.

Spending my own money, today, I'd probably still buy an S-Tec... but its close.

Tell us more about your requirements.

What features do you want? Do you want a back-up AI or are you happy with a turn coordinator? Do you have a GPS?

I had the STEC 40 in my 172 and really liked it, A friend has a STEC 55 coupled to a G-430 in his 182, that is one nice set up.

Is it true that it is less dangerous to fly with an Stec because other APs use as their inputs the attitude indicator, which has the double disadvantage of tending to fail sooner and is vulnerable to vacuum failure as well?

Thanks everyone for the replys so far...I have a 430 and definately want something that will capture and fly an ILS. My budget is around $25K, give or take a few thousand. I'm leaning toward the 55X but not really convinced that's the way to go??

For that budget, I think you can get a nice STEC 2-axis system with GPSS that will fly everything your 430 tells it to. I think I'd recommend it over a Century.

I agree with Tim; for $25k, you should be able to do a 55X easily.

One CFI friend warns: "All autopilots are *just* smart enough to kill you." ;)

Is it true that it is less dangerous to fly with an Stec because other APs use as their inputs the attitude indicator, which has the double disadvantage of tending to fail sooner and is vulnerable to vacuum failure as well?
I don't think either is "less dangerous" as long as the pilot is properly trained and competent. In fact, some folks prefer to have an electric backup attitude indicator in the TC hole in the panel, and that's not possible with the S-Tecs, which use the TC for their rate information.

Thanks everyone for the replys so far...I have a 430 and definately want something that will capture and fly an ILS. My budget is around $25K, give or take a few thousand. I'm leaning toward the 55X but not really convinced that's the way to go??
With the ILS capture/track requirement and a budget of $25K, I think the S-Tec 55X would be an excellent choice, especially since it was designed to work with GPS inputs. The Century III will do what you want, but it's older technology which predates GPS's, and even with the GPSS interface, it's just not as good for GPS work. Based on my experience with both, I recommend the 55X -- modern, reliable, and very powerful.

The Century 41 would do what you want, but it's beyond your budget.

I don't think either is "less dangerous" as long as the pilot is properly trained and competent. In fact, some folks prefer to have an electric backup attitude indicator in the TC hole in the panel, and that's not possible with the S-Tecs, which use the TC for their rate information.

When I got my back up AI the avionics shop offered to move the TC behind the pannel to allow the mounting of the AI in it's hole. I oppted to have the AI mounted on the other side of the pannel, I can still see it and it give the CFI something to stare at too:rofl:

I have a STEC unit just below the 55X (no alt preselect or glideslope, but it does have alt hold) and I really like it, but after flying behind the 55X in a couple Cirrus and a Navajo I really want to upgrade too

Back