STEC in a Cessna Cardinal

Crak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eckbert
Good evening,

I'm currently evaluating the installation of a used S-TEC in my Cessna Cardinal 177b.
I was wondering if anyone could share the servos part# for S-TEC Systems in a 177B?

Regards,
Crak

Before you go too far down the rabbit hole, check with S-Tec. My understanding is that they require you send the unit back to them for complete refurbishing, before they will issue an STC for your specific airframe. Then, you have to have it installed by an authorized S-Tec installer. It is often less expensive to buy a new autopilot such as the AeroCruze 100 or Trio.

Before you go too far down the rabbit hole, check with S-Tec. My understanding is that they require you send the unit back to them for complete refurbishing, before they will issue an STC for your specific airframe. Then, you have to have it installed by an authorized S-Tec installer. It is often less expensive to buy a new autopilot such as the AeroCruze 100 or Trio.
This. A friend went down this route…. Purchases all of the hardware, but it had to go back to STEC to be checked / programmed. The fee for this and the STC at the time was 50% of the new cost.

By the time you pay to buy the stuff and STECs fees plus installation it is a losing proposition.

Used STEC are only good to replace one you already have installed and only if they are set up for your model. There's a reason they're so cheap.

Look into something else

The whole S-TEC thing does not make a lot of sense. A the end of the day you have a dated system. On the other hand, you Cardinal drivers are blessed with state-of-the-art choices with a reasonable price tag like GFC500, Aerocruz 100 and Trio. Which one to pick? Well, that depends on your future plans, the budget and your expectations.

If you can afford it, get the GFC 500 and don't look back.

I played around with trying to go cheap for several years and in the end bit the bullet and went Garmin. No regrets.

Thanks for all your comments, I was also discussing with S-TEC in parallel, they stopped supporting the legacy AP so they won't offer any transfer - by Legacy, it's basically everything but the 3100 & the 55x

Crak

Back