Stearman rides at Gaston's?

Diana, I've been thinking about this a bit. Having a commercial vendor there would be like me setting up a computer, an office, and holding out for Cash Medical assitance for difficult aviation medical situations there. I just can't concieve of how that's in the "spirit" of the gathering....."whatever that is...."

I come mostly to enjoy each other's company, and share what we have to share. If that's certification advice, and someone brings me my FAVORITE six pack of NA beer, fine, but I'd NEVER ask for a fee or withold. Operational advice, yes, that too. I'm not like that Avionics instructor on the red board.

The DC-3 is supposed to be at the Yak/CJ fly-in at Gaston's two weeks before our fly-in. I've been offered a ride...in several airplanes, including the DC-3.

If I had the time and spare cash, I would go down just to hang around Dan. :D

Diana, I've been thinking about this a bit. Having a commercial vendor there would be like me setting up a computer, an office, and holding out for Cash Medical assitance for difficult aviation medical situations there. I just can't concieve of how that's in the "spirit" of the gathering....."whatever that is...."

I come mostly to enjoy each other's company, and share what we have to share. If that's certification advice, and someone brings me my FAVORITE six pack of NA beer, fine, but I'd NEVER ask for a fee or withold. Operational advice, yes, that too. I'm not like that Avionics instructor on the red board.

And you can rest assured there will be at least one person bringing your favorite NA beer for you to enjoy. ;)

no you wouldn't. there is a difference. coming down to be a part of the flyin and asking people to cover expenses for the rides you give is one thing. coming down for the specific reason to make a buck is another.

Exactly. Showing up with the intent of asking for money for rides to make a buck is much different than saying "I really would love to give free rides to everyone, but at [insert your fuel burn] gph, that gets expensive really fast."

Tom, I hope you'll make it.

Wayne, are you stirring the pot? ;)

Who, me? It is here this weekend, on the shop ramp for a while today since the museum ramp was full. I was busy with a demo and presentation for our King Air, so didn't have time to peek inside.

Let me be sure I understand the thinking here in the context of a subject I understand better. Are you saying it's OK for the nice girls to charge a little bit for commodity, but the naughty girls who charge more for the same commodity can't come to the party?

The girls
Exactly. Showing up with the intent of asking for money for rides to make a buck is much different than saying "I really would love to give free rides to everyone, but at [insert your fuel burn] gph, that gets expensive really fast."

Tom, I hope you'll make it.

Let me be sure I understand the thinking here in the context of a subject I understand better. Are you saying it's OK for the nice girls to charge a little bit for commodity, but the naughty girls who charge more for the same commodity can't come to the party?

The girls
Wow, you do like to live dangerously, don't you!:rofl:

Luckily, we have a lot of nice girls on this board!:yes:

Aww thanks grant.

Let me be a girl and explain in girly form then.

All the girls are welcome to come, nice, naughty, big, small, everybody! The truth is however that the nice girls are just comming to hang out and socialize and if we all go for trips around the pattern to holler at the guys then a little extra cash to go shopping with is appreciated but not required. But the naughty girls are a little different, they're invited and even allowed to go yell at the boys with us but if they're going to tell us they don't want us hanging out with them in the pattern unless we give them shopping money, then we don't always take too kindly to that. We all understand that every girl has to shop because some have bigger needs than others, but we don't always consider it appropriate to require us to pay to hang out with our friends at our annual tea party. Now if we went to an actual airshow such as during spring break, that's a little different. Then its a requirement that the naughty girls show us all a good time.

Hope that helped. ;)

Last edited:
I think that girly explanation was interesting Tristar,- even if I did not understand all of it exactly how you meant it. So if I may ask, what did you do for spring break?

Rick

Don't tell me, let me guess. Part of it had to do with shopping.

I think that girly explanation was interesting Tristar,- even if I did not understand all of it exactly how you meant it. So if I may ask, what did you do for spring break?

Rick

The DC-3 is supposed to be at the Yak/CJ fly-in at Gaston's two weeks before our fly-in. I've been offered a ride...in several airplanes, including the DC-3.

:yikes:

Make it stay! Make it stay!!!!!! Oh man. Now *that* would be cool.

Rick
I stayed here and worked on CFI. I was sick but we got far enough to schedule my checkride last week. It's scheduled for April 13th although I still have to pass an end of course ride for my part 141 course before I can go. That'll be done before the 13th.

Looks like you are a "driven" girl Tristar. I think you should schedule a fun break in there somewhere though. You need to stay healthy, you know. I hope all goes real well with your training and new ratings.

Rick

Looks like you are a "driven" girl Tristar. I think you should schedule a fun break in there somewhere though. You need to stay healthy, you know. I hope all goes real well with your training and new ratings.

Rick
That's what gastons is. :)

Not sure I'll make it but IMHO for what you all think its worth. Selling is a dirty word when it comes to events like these. I agree with Greg.
I contacted the Stearman pilot and told him we weren't interested in his selling rides to our group at Gaston's.

I contacted the Stearman pilot and told him we weren't interested in his selling rides to our group at Gaston's.

That's kinda sad :frown3:.

There's nothing better than Stearmans and grass.

Deb

That's kinda sad :frown3:.

There's nothing better than Stearmans and grass.
Yep.

I appreciate your insight and kind words over in the other thread. :)

BTW, it's nice to have you here, Deb. :)

Commercial certificate, appropriate inspections, and insurance. Is it that big of an issue?

Nope, as long as you count a pee test into the "appropriate inspections" category that's about all there is to it. Pee test is no big deal either, $40 at any industrial medicine clinic.

Bruce, If you would bring a tent and set up to do Medicals at Gaston's, I don't think the place could handle the traffic. I still remember getting medicals in old Doc Peterson's Hangar.

Bruce, If you would bring a tent and set up to do Medicals at Gaston's, I don't think the place could handle the traffic. I still remember getting medicals in old Doc Peterson's Hangar.
Hey Henning, we've missed you! And yes, Dr. Bruce would blow the commercialization quotient all out of whack!

(Diana: it's not that we don't want a Stearman, we DO. It's just that we want to keep this as a gathering of people who want to be here as friends, not as potential clients!)

Hey Henning, we've missed you! And yes, Dr. Bruce would blow the commercialization quotient all out of whack!

(Diana: it's not that we don't want a Stearman, we DO. It's just that we want to keep this as a gathering of people who want to be here as friends, not as potential clients!)

Well Thak you... The above, it's kinda a double edged sword. We have a lot of different people here with a very wide variety of skill sets. Occasionally we all have to hire someone for something. Would you rather hire someone you have some knowledge of, or would you rather open the Yellow Pages or Google up someone? As for someone coming to Gaston's with a "rides for hire" operation, that obviously isn't in this context, but if say I said "Look, I can bring a Stearman to Gastons, but I'm gonna have to charge $50 (or whatever) for rides if someone wants em." where would that fall?

Well Thak you... The above, it's kinda a double edged sword. We have a lot of different people here with a very wide variety of skill sets. Occasionally we all have to hire someone for something. Would you rather hire someone you have some knowledge of, or would you rather open the Yellow Pages or Google up someone? As for someone coming to Gaston's with a "rides for hire" operation, that obviously isn't in this context, but if say I said "Look, I can bring a Stearman to Gastons, but I'm gonna have to charge $50 (or whatever) for rides if someone wants em." where would that fall?
Somewhere in that wonderful nether region! :)

If you say "I'm only going to Gaston's that weekend because there are a lot of suckers there who'll pay whatever I choose to charge for a ride" you're at one end of the spectrum.

If you say "I'll to the the Gaston's Flyin with my plane and give a ride to whomever asks" you're at the other end of the spectrum.

If you go to Gaston's and proclaim "that I really can't afford it but wil give a ride to whomever asks, but they're welcome to contribute to fuel" you're somewhere in the middle.

Anything between the "middle" and the "other" end of the spectrum appears to be okay. I think that setting a price beforehand tends to lean toward the "wrong" side of the spectrum, but still seems toward the middle. It has to do with intent! :yes:

Back