Stearman flat hats a cotton picker and looses a wheel

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
This popped up on my FB feed this morning. A pair of Stearmans buzz a cotton harvester and one of them hits it. ASN article below has links to two videos from different angles, both on FB. Word is the pilot's wife was riding in the picker and the pass was expected, hence the clear videos. The operator of the picker was on top of it filming and allegedly changing the roll of bale wrap, and had to duck behind the machine to avoid being hit. In the second video you can see him pop up after the planes pass.

This popped up on my FB feed this morning. A pair of Stearmans buzz a cotton harvester and one of them hits it. ASN article below has links to two videos from different angles, both on FB. Word is the pilot's wife was riding in the picker and the pass was expected, hence the clear videos. The operator of the picker was on top of it filming and allegedly changing the roll of bale wrap, and had to duck behind the machine to avoid being hit. In the second video you can see him pop up after the planes pass.

Yikes! Talk about FAFO!!!

I wonder how the subsequent landing went.

Yikes! Talk about FAFO!!!

I wonder how the subsequent landing went.
If you watch the first video, the pilot puts the plane down a few hundred feet after the impact. I assume he felt he Impact and cut the throttle. It appears to stay upright.

Meanwhile my insurance is up 10% this year :rolleyes:

If you watch the first video, the pilot puts the plane down a few hundred feet after the impact. I assume he felt he Impact and cut the throttle. It appears to stay upright.

Thanks! I missed that on first viewing.

“Planned,” as in, “let’s go buzz my wife, I’ll lead,” or “”hey, honey, we’ll buzz you at 8:00 tonight”?

Or maybe, “let’s go buzz that cotton pickin’ wife of mine…I’ll lead, and position us so that you hit the machine.”

For your airplanes and your harvesters.

How do you loose a wheel? First you need to lose it.

Why are some pilots, like those flying the two planes, so fricken dumb??

When buzzing farm equipment you don’t go over the tractor. You go beside the tractor.
If you go directly over they can't read your N-number. Of course, having it on video from two angles makes that point moot...

I wonder if there is an audio tape of "hold our beers, watch this" somewhere?

.....that reeks of "hey, watch (video) this!".......
"careless and reckless".
That's in Mississippi, it's "Hey y'all, watch this"! It's one of the two famous last words for southerners, along with "Hold my beer".

How do you loose a wheel? First you need to lose it.
I blame spell check.

I'd also argue that he did, in fact, loose a wheel, much in the same way an archer looses an arrow. And I'm not talking pipers here.

I blame spell check.

I'd also argue that he did, in fact, loose a wheel, much in the same way an archer looses an arrow. And I'm not talking pipers here.
Just having some fun Jim, that happens to all of us.

I blame spell check.

I bow before your taut linguistic skill.

The owner of the airplane is ironically called "Air Repair Inc."

That company's webpage brags that unlike their competitors, they test-fly aircraft after repairing them :eek:

The owner of the airplane is ironically called "Air Repair Inc."

That company's webpage brags that unlike their competitors, they test-fly aircraft after repairing them :eek:

Air Repair is one if the most respected Stearman maintenance support outfits.

I would be very surprised if Pete (owner) had anything to do with this stunt.

Back