Stearman Airport, Benton Kansas

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
This is a cool place to hang out. I took my family over there this past weekend for lunch (we drove as I am not a PPL yet, still a student). This place i really neat, lots of airplanes, great food and you can sit there and watch the aircraft take off right in front of you. I would recommend this place for a fly in for sure. I am going to get over there soon with my CFI and grab breakfast!!!

I was there a few weeks ago to pick up a PnP dog to fly back to Denton.

TOTALLY agree on the major cool factor of the place. Other small airports could take a page from the way Stearman Field has developed as a destination for both airmen and locals who like good food and watching airplanes.

That was my thoughts as well. Can you imagine being a kid and driving to that place on weekends with your dad? I would be in heaven! It makes me want to move there, haha

Yea, it's rough living here...:D

Just be careful after a major party at the bar not to take a nap on centerline of the runway.

And when the new "party house" just south of the restaurant is finished, post some pictures.

If you had been there at 10 AM you would have seen >100 bikers parked on the ramp. If you would have looked over to the other side of 17 you would have seen me mowing my taxi way from my house to the end of 17.

If you ever see some people on the hill near where I was mowing it is probably me or my family sitting under a tree watching the planes & skydivers. Come on over and say hi!

Jim

If you had been there at 10 AM you would have seen >100 bikers parked on the ramp. If you would have looked over to the other side of 17 you would have seen me mowing my taxi way from my house to the end of 17.

If you ever see some people on the hill near where I was mowing it is probably me or my family sitting under a tree watching the planes & skydivers. Come on over and say hi!

Jim

We will have to do that next time. We have a white with green/gold striped Cherokee 235. I will shoot ya a message the next time I go that way. I would love to live over there and see all the planes. too cool!!!

Jim
Green with envy, that is very cool. :thumbsup:

I used to fly in and out of Benton way back before Stearman Estates was an idea, always liked that short little runway right next to the highway - very glad to see how well it has developed over the years.

Maybe a retirement home for us someday.

'Gimp

Live a few miles straight south of it and have only been there for a few touch-n-go's and to take my written.

Need to change that soon.

I'm just renting, but I would love to own out there if the new job continues to work out. We just didn't want to buy in a new area until we knew we would like it.

Jim

Quite the trek from Independence just for a written but to each their own.

good point, but my options are either Tulsa 1.5 hour drive, Joplin 1.25 hour drive or Benton 1.5 hour drive...:dunno:

its all the same...I hate tulsa, joplin bores me and Benton has airplanes:goofy:

good point, but my options are either Tulsa 1.5 hour drive, Joplin 1.25 hour drive or Benton 1.5 hour drive...:dunno:

its all the same...I hate tulsa, joplin bores me and Benton has airplanes:goofy:

Ouch that is rough. Maybe try and work it in as a long flight with your instructor. Then you could go to some work at ICT to get some practice talking to ATC.

Back