image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
At the moment I'm flying by celestial navigation

BEFORE ( prior to paint and interior)

e7aeb8a5cff06605d78bf7564ee6cbbf.jpg

AFTER ( :-(*** )

bc4e5cea9afb99f1fc9877840ad75e30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steam gauges in my RV6 with a Garmin 495 driving the single axis autopilot. Nowadays I do have a Nexus 7 on a RAM mount running Avare for long XC flights as my electronic sectional map in lieu of paper charts, but usually carry paper charts too as backup.

Both. The C-172 has steam gauges with a WAAS GPS as well as a hand-held iPad. The CTLS has all glass with the same iPad.

I use steam gages with a portable GPS. Does that count?

Well in that case, no. Steam gauges only.

But just because I think it does count, I have an iPad Air 2 on the passenger shelf (no panel on the passenger side) and an iPhone velcro'd to the yoke. The iPad is connected to a Stratus 2S when I want weather and a Bad Elf Pro all of the time. The iPhone is only connected to the Bad Elf Pro to conserve battery.

Edit: I just picked up an iPad Mini 4 to go on the yoke. The iPhone is just too dang small!!!

My second KX-155 died recently...I really want to add an approach certified GPS.

Last edited:
The g1000 has alot of really nice features. Not to say it isn't overkill for VFR, because it really is.

Traffic advisories... Nextrad wx, topography and terrain, wind and weather information, taf and metars, airport diagrams/runways/radio frequencies, nearest airport loc, course prediction, flight planning, etc. Having everything you need to know about an airport on the MFD is pretty awesome. Especially for last minute diversions to new places. Also having overlays of airspace and airspace notifications is pretty cool. Plus many many more features.

That being said I fly the g1000 alot, but still frankly enjoy a steam guage with a basic non moving GPS just as much! I also like to switch it up and not rely on the g1000 to do all of the planning for me...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yep. But I have all that with steam and a G530, with Dual, iPad, and Aera. Again, the G 1000 was O.K., but the user interface was clunky. Definitley a "1.0" look and feel. Glass will probably get better as the user intefaces evolve and get get refined. They aren't there yet, IMHO, though I've only dealt with Aspen and Garmin glass.

Once glass matures, it may open the gap between it and steam. But right now, I don't see a big reason to select on over the other.

Steam gauges and foreflight.

That's my favorite combination. Although I ignore the GPS most of the time, I still like having it. Other than the GPS, I dislike glass in general.

Rich

Steam and garmin 796

Is the Garmin 696 and 796 a panel embedded GPS or portable GPS? According to Garmin's website, it says it is a portable GPS but according to several pics of it, it looks like it could be a GPS that is embedded inside a panel.

Is the Garmin 696 and 796 a panel embedded GPS or portable GPS? According to Garmin's website, it says it is a portable GPS but according to several pics of it, it looks like it could be a GPS that is embedded inside a panel.
Like all of the Garmin portables (X96 series, Aeras...etc) you can buy panel docks (I believe Air Gizmo is the manufacturer) that can be installed in the panel. Then the portable just snaps in/out.

It is more of a convenience thing - the panel dock doesn't make it IFR certified or anything special.

6 pack steam plus a 430w. In a 70 year old airplane.

I use an iphone with xavion as a backup AI. I really like the program now that I have used it for a few months.

That's how I'm equipped. It's almost cheating:D

It really is.

If you do long x-countries, you need a A/P, it's worth the money.

Last year the A/P broke and we ended up hand flying all the way to OSH and back. 1800 miles. The different level of fatigue without it was noticeable.

In the two types I fly with GPS, one has steam and a BendixKing KLN-89B, and the other steam and a Garmin 430W.

I use steam for flying and a portable 696 for navigation.

Bob -- what are you trying to figure out? You will need to know who flys with glass alone to get the percentages. ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sounds like he wants kit that can be used IFR

Bob -- what are you trying to figure out? You will need to know who flys with glass alone to get the percentages. ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he is writing a book and wants to know if he needs to add a chapter, section, paragraph, sentence or word about glass.

Steam, gx55 and panel mount terrain aspen 300

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Steam + a GNC300XL + an iPad running ForeFlight on cross country trips.

Nothing on local trips.

Show of hands, please. How many of you are flying/training in a plane with steam gauges for flying and GPS for navigating?

Bob Gardner

Steam 182P with 530W, GDL88 ADS-B, FlightStream 210+ForeFlight, HSI. Bought it about 2 months after my PPL, about to wrap up my IR this month flown solely in it.

Back