Stealth fighter becomes visible thanks to ADS-B

Interesting.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Kind of like a story a friend told me years ago about the first time an F-117 flew into Oshkosh. He checked in and the tower, without skipping a beat, said, "Roger. Radar contact!" With thousands of pilots listening in with their portable radios. :p

I think mikeD can probably comment much more intelligently on this (as a former 117 driver), but they have "augmentation" devices......think it was some extendable device in the Nighthawk, and no comment on what it is for current LO jets, but they have the ability.

I think mikeD can probably comment much more intelligently on this (as a former 117 driver), but they have "augmentation" devices......think it was some extendable device in the Nighthawk, and no comment on what it is for current LO jets, but they have the ability.

Yep, F-117 had / has reflector (Lüneburg Lens) bumps for ATC. Seen primary targets on F-117s while working approach before.

Israel doesn’t seem too concerned about Syria seeing their F-35s.

https://theaviationist.com/2018/01/...pan-about-to-launch-without-radar-reflectors/

Last edited:

It’s always awkward when everyone can suddenly see you because you stuck your thing out. :)

Eyes up HERE, Mr. Controller! LOL.

I think the author is a bit confused as to how EMCON is implimented in some theaters. This isn’t some secret invasion on the initial stages of war. It doesn’t matter that a C3 aircraft is circling over Ghazni. They departed from an airfield talking and squawking to ATC and in some cases (helos) they use an unsecured CTAF for position reports. A cheap Sportys scanner is all the enemy would need to know where aircraft are and are going to.

Last edited:
That fighter's presence is as much as political statement as a tactical one. Maybe they wanted the world to know.

Back