Status update - or "Where is that guy who posts alot?"

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Last week Monday I started what was to be a 6 month contract with Legg Mason. The contract is about an hour's commute 1 way from home, and the first week was guaranteed to be very intense as I got ramped up on the project - which it was. In addition, LM is a financial company, so their controls on external access is very strict. I can read forums and post but I can't read any outside emails or get any connections necessary to working on PoA, if I'd had time to do any PoA work.

What with the long commute and brain frying days, I wasn't finding myself in any mood to do anything on a computer at home resembling work - and that meant keeping up with PoA.

Well, on Friday, exactly one work week after my 6 month contract started, Legg Mason announced the swap of it's stock business with CitiFinancial's Asset Management business. (LM is now becoming a purely asset management compnay) This is the first in what will be a trend of these business swaps, as Financial Companies are being pressured into being one or the other (eliminating the conflict of interest between running retirement programs and being in the stock brokering business, I guess).

Guess what group my project supported? If you said "Asset Management", you've missed the clues so far.

So on Friday, my 6 month project that they signed me for 2 weeks ago got cancelled. (Idiots in upper management didn't think to say, "Put a hold on all new projects"...) Now because of LM's interest in me a month ago (when the uppity ups were working on this swap already), I got signed here instead of at a contract which is 10 mins from my front door (because that contract was taking their time dorking around about how much my office would get paid for my services). So instead I got the LM contract, and someone who lives near LM got the contract near my house after the other contract finally decided that yes, we WERE worth paying for (duh).

So like I said, my project got cancelled. I'm on "two weeks or less" notice. (That is, LM has to pay for me for 2 more weeks if my office doesn't find something else for me). As it happens, I have an interview this afternoon, and they approached us so odds are I'll be accepted for the contract since their project needs are right up my alley. (.NET and SQL Server expertise)

So long story short, thats why I haven't been reading/posting at PoA as much as usual, and haven't been doing ANY real work on PoA at all. What will happen in the coming weeks, I don't know yet. The new project (assuming I get it) is as yet a mystery to me. With luck, once I get settled in I'll be able to continue working on PoA as time allows.

But in any event, I just wanted to drop a quick status note saying where I have been and why I haven't been around here as much.

(Oh, why didn't I do PoA work on the weekends? Well... I gave into temptation. I had the house to myself on Saturday and spent ALL day chasing down British warships... I haven't had a "cave troll on the computer playing games" day like that in MONTHS :) )

Chuck,

Did you get the contract because you had prior financial service experience?

Len

At LM? Yeah I've done work for them before so I already knew something about their systems. The people immediately responsible for bringing me in for this project had no idea that this swap was taking place - they just knew they needed another person, and since I'd already done work for this group 2x before, they called my office and asked if I was available first.

Reminds me how much I miss consulting (NOT). Thanks for the update. We all thought you were just mad at us. :no:

gibbons said:
Reminds me how much I miss consulting (NOT). Thanks for the update. We all thought you were just mad at us. :no:
Nah, just you! ;)

gotta love it. When I was working for Oracle, I was flying consultants from Denver to both coasts, while other managers were flying consultants from both coasts into Denver...think we could coordinate consultants to gigs close to home? not a chance...

Heh. I had a PM once who used to be a consultant for Oracle. He told me he quit cause he got tired of apologizing for them.

Anyway at least my company is regional - we stay in the Baltimore/Washington area. I get to go home every night, even if it is an hour long commute. :)

Greebo said:
snip
(Oh, why didn't I do PoA work on the weekends? Well... I gave into temptation. I had the house to myself on Saturday and spent ALL day chasing down British warships... I haven't had a "cave troll on the computer playing games" day like that in MONTHS :) )

Cathy and I also spent the weekend diving back into the past. Saturday night we signed up for Yahoo Music Unlimited for $7 a month, and spent the entire night chasing down our favorite songs. And I mean all night. We went outside to have a cigarette (quiet!! we're big boys and girls and can be bad for a week or two if we want) and it was light out.. it was 530 in the morning LOL. We had a ball.

Speaking of games, Pirates has been updated with a new version, and is still a ton of fun. First new game we've bought in a year or two.

Joe Williams said:
Cathy and I also spent the weekend diving back into the past. Saturday night we signed up for Yahoo Music Unlimited for $7 a month, and spent the entire night chasing down our favorite songs. And I mean all night. We went outside to have a cigarette (quiet!! we're big boys and girls and can be bad for a week or two if we want) and it was light out.. it was 530 in the morning LOL. We had a ball.

Speaking of games, Pirates has been updated with a new version, and is still a ton of fun. First new game we've bought in a year or two.

at the end of the month, do you have to pay another 7 bucks to keep those songs? or once you have them they are yours? e.g. I hear Napster is a little more, and in order to continue listening to those songs you have to pay monthly or you lose the rights to them.

woodstock said:
at the end of the month, do you have to pay another 7 bucks to keep those songs? or once you have them they are yours? e.g. I hear Napster is a little more, and in order to continue listening to those songs you have to pay monthly or you lose the rights to them.

I honestly don't know. It's a monthly subscription, so I wouldn't be surprised if you can't play them if you don't renew. You do have the option to buy a song, or an entire cd's worth of songs. Songs are $.79, cds vary. Some of the CDs are an outright steal, $5 or $6 for all the songs on a CD.

this is a great post

I have been contracting for over 30 years and flying. My bride is a brain who paints and writes songs. We have a great time of learning about song writing and getting the next long term contract or "Gig"

John J

I liked pirates ok, but I really like the Silent Hunter III presentation. They even include a realistic amount of "dud" torpedos. My wife has heard me say, "WHAT? I HIT THAT DESTROYER DEAD ON BROADSIDES" more than once...

... and then the destroyer usually runs right over me with depth charges. :(

Now I know why I got no response to my lost password messages for the last month! I finally signed up again using my wife's email address! Charlie Melot

zephyr said:
Now I know why I got no response to my lost password messages for the last month! I finally signed up again using my wife's email address! Charlie Melot
I *have* been checking my email... did you send it to support@pilotsofamerica.com ?

Back