Static headset

don Freimark

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Don F.
I have a new LSA and have alot of static in the headset, esp. from strobe type nav lights. Next time out ill try a different headset. I think i have to start shielding some lines,rerouting some and possibly find different grounds. Any input would be appreciated-thanks. 2006 Skyranger/912

Any input would be appreciated-thanks.
Perhaps search for some similar threads on PoA. They'll have a good route to follow in troubleshooting. But if you want a guess, I believe you have ground issues especially if that aircraft is made from composites.

thanks [Bell 206]. Ill find the problem source im sure there have been many down this road.

Ill find the problem source im sure there have been many down this road.
To get you down that road, I usually prefer to 1st check the electrical system wiring between the battery/alternator/generator for condition. Then with known "good" basic electrical connection I usually start to identify the noise makers. Once the source of the noise(s) is known I'll correct each one as needed. For example, once the electrical check is done, turn on the master with nothing else powered up. Noise? Then turn on just one radio/intercom. Noise? From there turn on/off one item/system at a time and check for noise. Once you have identified the source(s) then look to the electrical connections back to the battery with a keen eye on the ground path. Another route to take is to follow the headset connections. Some people will isolate the headset jacks from the airframe and see if that alters the noise. Look to see if shielded cables were used and if so is the shielding properly grounded. If no shielded wire was used then you may be looking at wire replacement to reduce/remove the noise. Once you have checked all the items with no engine running, perform checks again with the engine running. Unfortunately, there's no real shortcut to take you to the exact problem right away. But if you start at one point and work your way to the last point I predict you'll find the issue(s) and the method to correct them. Good luck.

To get you down that road, I usually prefer to 1st check the electrical system wiring between the battery/alternator/generator for condition. Then with known "good" basic electrical connection I usually start to identify the noise makers. Once the source of the noise(s) is known I'll correct each one as needed. For example, once the electrical check is done, turn on the master with nothing else powered up. Noise? Then turn on just one radio/intercom. Noise? From there turn on/off one item/system at a time and check for noise. Once you have identified the source(s) then look to the electrical connections back to the battery with a keen eye on the ground path. Another route to take is to follow the headset connections. Some people will isolate the headset jacks from the airframe and see if that alters the noise. Look to see if shielded cables were used and if so is the shielding properly grounded. If no shielded wire was used then you may be looking at wire replacement to reduce/remove the noise. Once you have checked all the items with no engine running, perform checks again with the engine running. Unfortunately, there's no real shortcut to take you to the exact problem right away. But if you start at one point and work your way to the last point I predict you'll find the issue(s) and the method to correct them. Good luck.
Thanks Bell, that is a gr8 way to trouble shoot,fast way to isolate.thanks so much. Don F.

Back