State of the Airlines...

K

KennyFlys

Five Worst:

Number 5 Worst --American Eagle
On-Time Arrivals: 60.6 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 12.81 per 1,000 passengers (worst in category)
Cancellations: 7.5 percent (second lowest)
Good To Know: A regional offshoot of American Airlines, American Eagle has plenty of issues to keep its hands full. Among them? A 1.35 passenger rate of boarding denials per 10,000 people and 15,795 missing bags. Miraculously, they make it through each month with only 21 complaints, but we wonder how many of those are put away in the "circular file...?

Number 4 Worst --American Airlines
On-Time Arrivals: 61.7 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 6.85 per 1,000 passengers (eleventh)
Cancellations: 4.7 percent
Good To Know: With a bigger airline comes bigger responsibilities... and bigger problems, which is probably why American Airlines seems to have so many black marks on their record. First and foremost -- baggage. American is 11th lowest out of 20, that puts their lost bag total at 39,341. Yikes! It looks like customer service has some work to attend to with 126 complaints in a month.

Number 3 Worst -- Mesa
On-Time Arrivals: 62.9 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 9.41 bags per 1,000 passengers
Cancellations: 10.6 percent (worst)
Good To Know: Try as they might, Mesa Airlines just doesn't seem to be able to measure up. According to reports, this Midwest carrier misplaced 8171 bags in one month. You might want to consider a carry on -- and think twice -- before booking with them.

Number 2 Worst -- United
On-Time Arrivals: 65.1 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 22,059 bags out of over four million passengers
Cancellations: 4.1 percent
Good To Know: Yet another popular national regular plagued with issues. Why are people moaning and groaning? Most of the complaints are about flight problems, customer service and missing baggage. Plus, their boarding denial rate is only 0.71 per 10,000 passengers. Not bad, but when it comes to the other categories, they could do better -- as evidenced by 97 logged complaints, the third highest out of all the airlines.

Number 1 Worst -- Sky West
On-Time Arrivals: 68.1 percent (worst)
Baggage Mishandling: 11.16 bags per 1,000 passengers (third worst)
Cancellations: 4.6 percent
Good To Know: Sky West is the proud loser -- or winner, depending on how you look at it -- in the most important category. Their on-time arrival record is the worst of them all. Also, Sky West misplaced 18,048 bags in February! Cheer up, Sky West -- at least you get away with only 14 complaints in a month!

Five Best:

Number 5 Best -- US Airways
On-Time Arrivals: 76.3 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 6.96 bags per 1,000 people
Cancellations: 2 percent
Good To Know: It may seem surprising to some, but US Airways actually has a pretty clean record. Sure, they have their problems, but by comparison their numbers are much lower. Their baggage losses are just under Delta's, with a total of 27,448 missing bags in February. Also, only 1.19 per 10,000 passengers were denied boarding. Kudos, US Air! Now if you can get rid of that tied-for-third complaint count of 97 down to a more respectable number...

Number 4 Best -- Alaska
On-Time Arrivals: 76.7 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 5.36 bags per 1,000 passengers
Cancellations: 1.7 percent
Good To Know: Alaska is actually doing a pretty good job of keeping their customers happy. How? One reason is that only 6136 bags were waylaid out of 1,145,814 in February. Their boarding denial rate is only .73 passengers per 10,000. Alaska should also be proud to note that they only received three complaints. That must mean someone's doing a good job!

Number 3 Best -- Delta
On-Time Arrivals: 77.2 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 6.90 per 1,000 passengers (twelfth worst)
Cancellations: 1.9 percent (second lowest)
Good To Know: Delta has a lot to be happy about -- but also some things to be sad about. Their number of customer complaints logged in one month at 99, making them the second highest on the list. However, their boarding denial rate is only 2.47 out of 10,000. They're doing well in some categories, but not so much in others. Perhaps next month they'll do better?

Number 2 Best -- Hawaiian
On-Time Arrivals: 93.1 percent
Baggage Mishandling: 2.25 per 1,000 passengers
Cancellations: 0.3 percent
Good To Know: Out of all the airlines flying today, Hawaiian is definitely one of the ones to beat. Why? Try the lowest rate of lost baggage, with only 1273 out of 565,330 missing. Then there's their boarding denial rate -- a teeny weeny 0.17. That probably explains why they only have six complaints in a one-month period. Maybe it's the crystal clear blue water, or that island air, but whatever it is that makes their staff so on-the-ball, Hawaiian wins a blue ribbon!

Number 1 Best -- Aloha
On-Time Arrivals: 95.6 percent
Cancellations: 0.5 percent
Good To Know: It's a shame this inter-island airline is no longer running, because it racked up the brownie points. For example, Aloha logged one complaint over a one-month period. One! That's unheard of in the commercial aviation history. Their rate of boarding denial sat at a paltry .29 passengers. They also weren't too shabby in the baggage department, with only 930 out of 303,116 bags missing. The airline ceased operation in March 2008. With a report card like this, they'll surely be missed.

I fly Alaska and Delta almost exclusively now, with an occasional leg on Continental or American West (who I am surprised to NOT see in the top 5.) Horizon too - I often have no other choice.

I wouldn't fly United unless I was needed for a life saving emergency somewhere and there was no other choice and then my boss would have to order me. And that doesn't even take into consideration their crappy mileage plan.

America West is US Airways now, so they are in the top 5. I'm surprised that Continental isn't on the list.

I was quite surprised to not see Continental at the top, and more than a little shocked to see US Air anywhere near the top (I've never seen so many lost bags)!

I wouldn't fly United unless I was needed for a life saving emergency somewhere and there was no other choice and then my boss would have to order me. And that doesn't even take into consideration their crappy mileage plan.
Sigh! I am being ordered to fly them. And you are right about the crappy mileage plan. It sucks going form being treated like royalty at AA to having 100k status at UAL and being treated like cargo. I can't imagine how bad the regular customers at UAL are treated, but it has to be bad to worse as well.

Sigh! I am being ordered to fly them. And you are right about the crappy mileage plan. It sucks going form being treated like royalty at AA to having 100k status at UAL and being treated like cargo. I can't imagine how bad the regular customers at UAL are treated, but it has to be bad to worse as well.

I simply don't understand why they cannot have a single other major US codeshare partner. Good grief, who would want to waste potential FF miles by flying with them? And their customer service sucks eggs.

Well, the numbers are kinda skewed. Aloha and Hawaiian fly among the islands and LAX only, right? Kinda hard to lose baggage on 1 leg. On time would be easier to figure out with only one leg too...just saying.

I'm not surprised at US Airways....I love flying them, even moreso after they acquired America West.

Well, the numbers are kinda skewed. Aloha and Hawaiian fly among the islands and LAX only, right? Kinda hard to lose baggage on 1 leg. On time would be easier to figure out with only one leg too...just saying.
Hawaiian air lost mine once between Honolulu and Kauai. I even saw them load it onto a plane, not the one I was one but a plane none the less, at the Honolulu airport. Never, and I mean NEVER underestimate the amount of stupidity that people can display in their jobs.

I'm really surprised that US Air didn't get screwed up by merging with America Worst. I had nothing but trouble with that outfit flying from Seattle to Phoenix, more than once.

I fly United and their partners 'cause my employer has good rates with them. Not exclusively United, however. And say all the good things you want about Delta, I rate them near the bottom with Lufthansa for one key critical reason - they have no clue what the term "legroom" means and they've been that way since I started flying them in 1976 when working for the Navy. Sardine cans. At least on United I can sit in E+ and have some legroom.

Just got back from Hawaii last night on Hawaiian. They've not bad. And they do provide reasonable legroom in coach. Too bad Orbitz doesn't seem interested in telling me what my lost Aloha HNL-LIH-HNL leg was worth so I can challenge that part of the airfare. And Go! doesn't cooperate with Hawaiian, so we got to schlep our bags over to Hawaiian on the way home after arriving at HNL. And have them screened a second time (after LIH) for ag inspection (after being told at LIH that we wouldn't have to - I wish the airport people would get their stories straight - they are the one part of Hawaii I hate dealing with).

Bottom line - I hate commercial air travel, but it seems unavoidable at times.

Back